Helmet saved my life yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gary E

Veteran
That's what good boots do for you ;)
Thank you for demonstrating my point, some people are more interested in correcting others and showing how clever they are than just getting along.
I saw my mistake and corrected it all by myself without the need for divine intervention. I'm now going to practice what I've preached and stop posting in this thread or I run the risk of allowing myself to be bought down to others people's level (not saying who but if this comment offends you.....).

Look Reg, you specifically stated that . . .

You may have had access to it, but you obviously didn't read it !

I then provided you with the appropriate links - from the NHS no less . . . which show you to be incorrect - 'cos I did read it.

The information that I provided, is from the NHS - these are not stats that I've plucked from the air.

I'm not dishing out anything other than facts; and yes, I can 'take it' - 'cos there's not been anything for me to take - 'cos in this (rare :smile: ) instance, I am correct.

Have you read the papers on which your linked articles were based?

Link one involves the analysis of seven patients who died from pancreatic adenocarcinoma not neuroendocrine carcinoma.
Link two is undifferentiated as to what type of pancreatic cancer it is looking at and since adenocarcinoma represents over 95% of cases, will be dominated by it in the outcomes.

But you seem to be deliberately turning a blind eye to the difference between the common form of pancreatic cancer and the form Steve Jobs had, which is where this launched off. And in respect of the latter you are this. WRONG.

Thank you for demonstrating my point, some people are more interested in correcting others and showing how clever they are than just getting along.
I saw my mistake and corrected it all by myself without the need for divine intervention. I'm now going to practice what I've preached and stop posting in this thread or I run the risk of allowing myself to be bought down to others people's level (not saying who but if this comment offends you.....).

I call it a sense of humour failure. What is the point of being on a forum if not to debate and argue points, learn new information and use a bit of humour now and again? A forum is often described as analogous to chatting with mates in the pub. You appear to be taking the approach of the person that intervenes in the conversation to make a few sarcastic remarks and then wanders off again.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Have you read the papers on which your linked articles were based?

Obviously, more comprehensively, than have you.

Link one involves the analysis of seven patients who died from pancreatic adenocarcinoma not neuroendocrine carcinoma.

Hello, how do you know this ? You are making assumptions - not good enough !

Try doing a word-search in the article for ' adenocarcinoma' and 'neuroendocrine' - let me know how many instances you find of either. Second thoughts, don't; I know the answer, 'cos neither is specifically mentioned !

There is a wealth of evidence, which states that treatment/survival of pancreatic cancer has not improved an iota, since the 1950s. You believe otherwise, but I prefer to believe the NHS links and articles by other experts that I've taken the trouble to read.

Look, I'll have to (cordially :thumbsup: ) opt-out of this, 'cos neither of us is willing to change our views and it seems futile trying to prove otherwise.

Back to helmets . . . . . . . :whistle:

Anyone seen or tried those new helmets that are made out of cardboard ?

Hello, how do you know this ? You are making assumptions - not good enough !

Figure 3 in the Nature paper.

Try doing a word-search in the article for ' adenocarcinoma' and 'neuroendocrine' - let me know how many instances you find of either. Second thoughts, don't; I know the answer, 'cos neither is specifically mentioned !

No they are not but if you know the subject it is clear which they are talking about and Fig 3 confirms it.

There is a wealth of evidence, which states that treatment/survival of pancreatic cancer has not improved an iota, since the 1950s. You believe otherwise, but I prefer to believe the NHS links and articles by other experts that I've taken the trouble to read.

For pancreatic adenocarcinoma it hasn't but for pancreatic neuroendocrine carcinoma it has improved a lot and is quite curable in many cases. If you just look at pancreatic cancer statistics generally (which is what you are doing) though you won't see it because they represent as very small proportion of cases and are swamped by the adenocarcinoma cases.

Luddite Joe

Über Member
You see you can learn new things from helmet threads. You now know now Steve Jobs died and why and that some types of pancreatic tumours are eminently curable despite the bad reputation generally of pancreatic cancer. Hang around and you might learn even more :thumbsup:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adenocarcinoma
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroendocrine_tumor

I've learnt something more.
Apparently the human shoulder evolved as a safeguard to protect the head during a fall. ;)

OP
OP
Thomk

Thomk

Guru
If the universe were infinite, two things would be certain:
1) There would be a monkey somewhere on a keyboard typing the complete works of Shakespeare and
2) There would be a pancreatic cancer forum somewhere with a load of people debating the merits of cycle helmets

1) There would be a monkey somewhere on a keyboard typing the complete works of Shakespeare and
2) There would be a pancreatic cancer forum somewhere with a load of people debating the merits of cycle helmets

Would a helmet protect the head of the pancreas?

What about monkeys on keyboards debating the merits of cycle helmets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom