Helmet saved my life yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Old fashion ones (ie velvet covered) are no better than bike helmets but modern ones (like jockeys where) are constructed in a similar fashion to motorcycle helmets.

That's correct . . . the one I had, was the velvet covered type . . . still rather wear that though, than do without.

Tim Hall

Is this the one where the visitor yells out "63". The audience fall about the floor in fits of histerics, and it is a good 10 minutes before order is restored. The visitor asks his guide what happened, and he replies:
"Oh, its nothing. Its just that that is one that they haven't heard before"!
Or the visitor yells out "25".

A stony silence.

The visitor asks his guide what happened.

"You're not telling it right"

I've seen people fall off horses and ponies in all sorts of ways; forwards, backwards & sideways. If anything, such falls have been at a slower speed than would occur whilst cycling. Oh yes, some of the ponies weren't much higher than bikes. Thing is though, just about all horse riders would state the 'need' to wear a helmet.

They would now because they lost the battle against a mandatory helmet law for children and have no choice. But they didn't need a law because everyone was wearing one voluntarily but to make people wear one..

On all horses the stirrup is much much higher than the pedals on a bike which means you tend to fall more vertically down rather than from normal head height or lower in the case of falling of a bicycle. Which means you are much more likely to hit your head than coming off a bicycle where your shoulders do a lot of the job of taking the impact.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
On all horses the stirrup is much much higher than the pedals on a bike which means you tend to fall more vertically down rather than from normal head height or lower in the case of falling of a bicycle.

There is no set 'rule', for the way in which people fall off horses . . . much the same as with falling from a bike.

The usual scenario is the shoulder hits the ground and then the head stops short of the ground - its how the human body has evolved over millennia to deal with falls.

So 'the human body has evolved over millenia to deal with falls' ?

. . . But this 'rule' only applies to falls from bikes ? :laugh: Not any other manner of falls ? :laugh:

How extraordinarily prescient. :whistle:

There is no set 'rule', for the way in which people fall off horses . . . much the same as with falling from a bike.

So 'the human body has evolved over millenia to deal with falls' ?

. . . But this 'rule' only applies to falls from bikes ? :laugh: Not any other manner of falls ? :laugh:

How extraordinarily prescient. :whistle:

Fall from bikes are very similar to falls when walking - the head height is about the same to start with. Falls from horses are more like falls from height and the human body is not well adapted to those.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Fall from bikes are very similar to falls when walking - the head height is about the same to start with.

Are you really suggesting, that if a cyclist falls from a bike whilst doing 15 -20mph, it is 'very similar' to a fall when walking at 2 or 3 mph ?

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Are you suggesting a cycle helmet is designed to protect against a fall from a bike whilst doing 15-20mph?

Less ridiculous, than your assertion that 'the human body has evolved over millenia to deal with falls' at 20mph . . . from bikes.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Are you suggesting a cycle helmet is designed to protect against a fall from a bike whilst doing 15-20mph?

The current design of cycle helmets may be less than ideal; but that doesn't mean that the concept of wearing a helmet is to be rejected.

Less ridiculous, than your assertion that 'the human body has evolved over millenia to deal with falls' at 20mph . . . from bikes.

Humans can easily run at over 10mph and as I've said previously the falls from bikes are very similar biomechanically to falls when walking/running. Whereas it is a demonstrable fact that a cycle helmet is designed for no more than a fall from a stationary bike and definitely not a fall from a bike doing 20 or even 10mph.

The current design of cycle helmets may be less than ideal; but that doesn't mean that the concept of wearing a helmet is to be rejected.

No-one is objecting to the concept of wearing a helmet on a bike if you personally want to. Its the concept that it will make a difference that is being objected to.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
No-one is objecting to the concept of wearing a helmet on a bike if you personally want to. Its the concept that it will make a difference that is being objected to.

Do you believe then, that a helmet could not be designed, that would be 'worth' using ?

Davidc

Guru
The horse riding helmet comparison is a red herring.

A fundamental issue with any cycle helmet design is the need for the head to lose heat. When riding a horse (rare but it has been known) I have never had a problem with my head overheating inside a solid helmet, whereas I cannot wear any headgear on a bike if the air temperature is over about 12 deg C, because my head gets too hot if I'm pedalling.

I don't have a problem with this, if my head gets too hot I take any headgear off. I don't have a problem because the risk of head injury is too small to concern me (it's much less than when I'm in my car or walking for example). To date no one has made any usable headgear which would offer me any protection against head injury on a bike. (A motor bike helmet would, but it's not usable because of the heat issue).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom