Helmet saved my life yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Running at 6 minutes a mile - an 'easy' pace at which to run ?

:eek: Just what percentage of the population can do that then ?

Most of the population that could propel a bike at 20mph could do it easily.

I was quite glad of my cycle helmet this morning. I wore it because it was cold.

I started off wearing my buff in the expectation it would be cold but quickly switched to my cotton cycle cap when I realised it wasn't and I would overheat if I carried on with the buff.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Well in the UK there were 2,843 serious cyclist injuries in 2010 of which about 36% were head injuries i.e. about a thousand serious head injuries a year (remembering that a serious head injury can be nothing more serious than being kept in overnight for observation following a bump). About one third of those are helmeted leaving about 670 un-helmeted serious head injuries out of several hundred million cycle journeys a year (200 million in London alone. Making it about a one in a million journeys event. Now at two journeys a day, 7/365 that's going to take you about 1400 years to complete a million journeys. That very very rare.

No, that's 670 out of 1000, not out of several hundred million.

The other 200 million (odd) had no issue because they didn't have an fall, as such they are irrelevant. You cant just pick and choose which data you use to support your argument.

so actually all this proves is that falls are very very rare. Which is nice

But hold on, if there were 3000 cycle injury's, 330 of which were head related with helmets... and the remaining 670 were head related without helmets...

...then this suggests head related injury's are twice as likely without a helmet.

was that the point you were making:smile:

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Can you run (or know someone who can run) 100m in 20secs. That works out at 11.2mph

I can easily run that - my fastest 100m was 12.4 seconds (Colwyn Bay track - 1995); but that's not the point. Redlight made the (fair) point that we've evolved over millenia to deal with falls'; in an ideal world that might be the case. However, I suspect that the bulk :whistle: of the population isn't as fit and agile as you & Redlight; given that (approx.) 25% of the population are obese, I don't believe that they would fall in quite the same manner as you would . . . ie, head not hitting the ground.

And many of them would struggle to run 100m in any time, let alone run it in 20 seconds. They'd also have difficulty cycling at 20mph.

Most of the population that could propel a bike at 20mph could do it easily.

But hold on, if there were 3000 cycle injury's, 330 of which were head related with helmets... and the remaining 670 were head related without helmets...

...then this suggests head related injury's are twice as likely without a helmet.

was that the point you were making:smile:

I think before you try to play this game you need to understand the difference between numbers and rates. Or perhaps I can interest you in this nice pre-loved Trabant - demonstrably the safest car on the road because no-one has ever been killed driving one in the UK. Fords and Vauxhalls on the other hand are absolute death traps - just look at the numbers killed in them.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
. . ., whereas I cannot wear any headgear on a bike if the air temperature is over about 12 deg C, because my head gets too hot if I'm pedalling.

A delicate bloom such as yourself, should move up North; your head would never get too hot ! Gets flippin' cold up here ! :whistle:

benb

Evidence based cyclist
And as I've said many times before its amazing how many helmet wearers have stories like yours to tell and yet although non-wearers outnumber wearers by 2:1, they very very rarely have tales of outcomes such as you are predicting would have happened to you without a helmet.

That's because they all died!! :whistle:

Canrider

Guru
However, I suspect that the bulk :whistle: of the population isn't as fit and agile as you & Redlight; given that (approx.) 25% of the population are obese.
What, back in the Palaeolithic?

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
i laugh at these helmet threads, they snowball out of controll , but heres my bit, i wear a helmet, has it saved me?, from road rash deff, evidenced by the scrapes and tarmac on the helmet, from a bump on me nogging oh yes , 2 for 2,so far, saved my life? prob not but the first two items do it for me,ps i should add it failed missrable to prevent roadrash to my thigh hip elbow or shoulder,useles bloody thing:cursing:

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Offa's Dyke - North? It's only at about the same longitude as Stafford, though definitely north of Somerset!

Ever been to Stafford ? - its freezing there. :whistle:

It certainly gets cold here, though. IIRC, the coldest ever recorded temperature in the UK, was RAF Shawbury - some time back in the 80s. Shawbury is only about 20-25 miles away. Have to say though, it seemed even colder, when I lived in Yorkshire :thumbsup: many years ago.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I think before you try to play this game you need to understand the difference between numbers and rates. Or perhaps I can interest you in this nice pre-loved Trabant - demonstrably the safest car on the road because no-one has ever been killed driving one in the UK. Fords and Vauxhalls on the other hand are absolute death traps - just look at the numbers killed in them.

No no, I'm not playing a game here, nor am I discussing rates, I understand the difference.

What I *am* doing is directly quoting your figures that clearly show that helmeted wearers have 50 percent less head trauma compared to those not wearing lids...am I not?

Out of 1000 head traumas, 600 odd were without lids 300 odd were with.

BUSTED!

I guess I am playing with you a bit:smile: , but only because you are prepared to stand up for your opinion and am doing a good job of stating your case in what i think is a thought provoking, fact driven way (if that's not too patronising). That said, I had to giggle when I read that post .

Ultimately, thread jousting apart, it seems that this and most other helmet debates fall into three camps, those who do, those who don't and those who don't care. There doesn't seem to be much reasoning to convince any of us to change position.

I've decided that I shall wear a lid, not because its demonstrably safer (something I have a clearer idea about having read posts from people like yourself...thank you) but because I just cant see any evidence that they hurt.

I understand that I could also take to wearing a wedding cake on my head, as the don't hurt either, but I have no evidence (anecdotal or otherwise ) to suggest that the wearing of wedding cake may be of any (even the tiniest) benefit in the event of a fall.

The only reason I (personally) wont wear one from now on, will be for vanity and from time to time in the future I'm sure that's exactly what I'll do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom