Helmet with integrated eye protection - anybody tried one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As title really. I see there are some helmets out there with a built in eye shield - anybody tried one please? I cycle in my regular prescription glasses at the moment but they do not prevent my eyes streaming at speed downhill. Flipping down a handy eye shield would seem ideal, if they are effective.

Graham

S-Express

Weigh up the cost of something like the Giro Air Attack Shield, with the cost of getting some prescription cycling glasses. On the Giro at least, the shield is detachable, but does not 'flip' as such, so would be fixed in place until such time as you removed it.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
uvex city v - I have this one I use on my trike in the summer

Uvex city V.jpg

OP
OP
graham bowers
Weigh up the cost of something like the Giro Air Attack Shield, with the cost of getting some prescription cycling glasses. On the Giro at least, the shield is detachable, but does not 'flip' as such, so would be fixed in place until such time as you removed it.
Thanks S-E. I'm weighing up all of the options before deciding which way to jump, including prescription cycling glasses.

As title really. I see there are some helmets out there with a built in eye shield - anybody tried one please? I cycle in my regular prescription glasses at the moment but they do not prevent my eyes streaming at speed downhill. Flipping down a handy eye shield would seem ideal, if they are effective.

Graham
I sometimes train in my prescription glasses and use my KASK bambino which has a visor (held by magnets, not flip down) but too much of a effort and the visor will steam up. With a more vented type I doubt it'll be a problem though. I prefer to cycle in daily disposable contact lenses and block the wind out with a good pair of cycling glasses (not an option for everybody though).

IMG_0477.JPG

That's one of mine

A very light, strong, comfy lid indeed

https://m.probikekit.co.uk/cycling-...CMWU7rngptMCFdMB0wodtNAK3A&variation=10861537

IMG_0486.JPG

https://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/C...gclid=CMe7xePgptMCFVcz0wodGVkIDA&gclsrc=aw.ds

This is the speed time. I know exactly how strong this one was. It saved my head nicely a year or so back. I need a new one though.

You simply pull off, turn upside down and attach.......

View attachment 347572

That's one of mine

A very light, strong, comfy lid indeed

https://m.probikekit.co.uk/cycling-...CMWU7rngptMCFdMB0wodtNAK3A&variation=10861537

View attachment 347573

https://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/C...gclid=CMe7xePgptMCFVcz0wodGVkIDA&gclsrc=aw.ds

This is the speed time. I know exactly how strong this one was. It saved my head nicely a year or so back. I need a new one though.

At the risk of turning this into a helmet debate

If there is any impact where the helmet has been in that severe an impact it SHOULD BE REPLACED IMMEDIATELY

I have used the Giro Air Attack for a couple of years now. It gives you less wind protection than proper cycling glasses, but once I got used to it I started to hate putting cycling glasses on as it feels more sweaty around the eyes.
I usually use contact lenses, but have used it once or twice with prescription glasses which was fine.
Never had any steaming up problems.
Flipping the visor seems straightforward to me, but it's not something I do more than once or twice on a ride.
I think for UK conditions they are pretty much perfect. Bit warmer than most helmets, which I prefer except in mid summer.
The main advantage is the rain protection. Keeps your eyes and head very dry and you can still look through the little air gap of the visor even when the visor is wet. Great for contact lense wearers as no water gets to your eyes at all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom