Helmets abroad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My preferred approach to any compulsory helmet legislation while cycling abroad is to completely ignore it!
You'd be in good company.

c6a31314d2104f61402e2d540c576983.jpg

11c2991ad31b4e7006e1bd2e184c0af6.jpg

Randombiker9

I have just been in Normandy for the week on the Scorpion for the club annual Winedown. Several members commented I was not wearing a helmet, so I said "three wheels, not necessary". However the French do seem to have their own peculiarities [such as reflective jackets] so I wondered whether helmets were compulsory on pedal transport. Anyone know?
No it's not compulsory the only places. I know it's compusruy is Australia, New Zealend and some US states.

Randombiker9

I would not profess to be a "touring cyclist", but, I do cycle quite frequently in Europe (France, Spain, Germany, Luxembourg), since I use a bicycle as transport when my campervan is "parked up". I am not sure of the legal situation, but, my general observation is that the Brits are the most likely to wear helmets, for "casual" cycling, the rest of our European Cousins appear to wear them for on-road cycling with road bikes, but, otherwise (generally) not.
Not always true as lots of people in my college group that cycle do not wear helmets. I've seen only 2 people wear helmets. I'm British but from Holland and still wear a helmet no matter how long I cycle for out. However my dad who lives in Netherlands only wears helmet on his road bike if he's just casualy cycling he doesn't. But always makes my half brother (who's 4yrs ) wear one when he's on his balance bike or tricycle.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Currently, under a law implemented in 2004 but reportedly seldom enforced, cyclists in Spain have to wear helmets while riding in non-urban areas unless the weather is too hot or they are going uphill. A law that required all cyclists to wear a helmet at all times would presumably be more strictly enforced.

Just got back from Mallorca where all roadies I saw (except one Brit) were wearing helmets. Most of the locals, riding in the cycle lanes, weren't wearing helmets. My mate's got a place in Spain where he cycles regularly. He says he's heard of cyclists being given on the spot fines (€8) but they've usually been stopped for something else.

Randombiker9

Currently, under a law implemented in 2004 but reportedly seldom enforced, cyclists in Spain have to wear helmets while riding in non-urban areas unless the weather is too hot or they are going uphill. A law that required all cyclists to wear a helmet at all times would presumably be more strictly enforced.

Just got back from Mallorca where all roadies I saw (except one Brit) were wearing helmets. Most of the locals, riding in the cycle lanes, weren't wearing helmets. My mate's got a place in Spain where he cycles regularly. He says he's heard of cyclists being given on the spot fines (€8) but they've usually been stopped for something else.

Are u sure this is true as I used to live in Spain and helmets were only required by law for power assisted bikes e.g electric bikes and professional cyclists.

Randombiker9

Sorry got confused above I’ve lived in Netherlands Singapore Spain and now England. Your right with Spain I was getting confused by Singapore where it’s only required if you ride a power assisted bicycle

Top Bottom