Helmets and falling off....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hutch118

Got out today folks and managed my first 30 miles. However,

I had a bad fall halfway through the ride in the middle of traffic in Edinburgh, my left foot came out of the peddle just when I was riding along and pushing down hard about 7-8 mph and the bike slid out from under me and down I went.

Hurt my back and bruised various bits but thank god I had on my helmet, my head went back onto the road and if I didn't have it on it would have been a hospital job. The crack must have been loud as a few folk helped me back up. Only a bit pride was hurt after it all. I'd implore anyone who doesn't use one to buy one ASAP. I used to be a person who thought maybe I didn't need it all the time, now I won't ride without one!!!!!

Not one driver stopped as I lay in the cycle lane for a few minutes till I got myself sorted out.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I banged my head on a car windowscreen once. Cracked the glass. Luckily I was wearing a Cycle Chat Buff. I onlyended up with a little lump on my noggin. Luckily nothing serious, so I implore all cyclists to wear a Cycle Chat Buff...or indeed any Buff. It might just save your life.

Bianchi boy

Über Member
You will get mixed comments on here regarding cycle helmets, if you feel comfortable wearing one then continue to do so, I'm sure Geriant Thomas was glad he was wearing his this week.

buggi

Bird Saviour
I hit my head once. Walked thro a door. Wouldn't have cracked my head if I had not been wearing one. Also once cracked my head on the road when I wasn't wearing mine, I'm fine. Also hit my head on the road when I was wearing one. Knocked out and 6 months concussion /dizzy spells.

You never can tell.

Bianchi boy

Über Member
Why did they change his helmet as soon as the team car got there?
YEH See, changed his helmet, isuppose you'll say he did'nt like the colour:banghead:

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
Got out today folks and managed my first 30 miles. However,

I had a bad fall halfway through the ride in the middle of traffic in Edinburgh, my left foot came out of the peddle just when I was riding along and pushing down hard about 7-8 mph and the bike slid out from under me and down I went.

Hurt my back and bruised various bits but thank god I had on my helmet, my head went back onto the road and if I didn't have it on it would have been a hospital job. The crack must have been loud as a few folk helped me back up. Only a bit pride was hurt after it all. I'd implore anyone who doesn't use one to buy one ASAP. I used to be a person who thought maybe I didn't need it all the time, now I won't ride without one!!!!!

Not one driver stopped as I lay in the cycle lane for a few minutes till I got myself sorted out.

Good to know that you are ok after your fall. GWS :thumbsup:

Having reviewed the video, it was both

His shoulder "broadsides" the post followed by his head.

It would be a difficult call to say which was the one that absorbed more energy in the impact - shoulder or helmet.

Personally I always ride with my shoulders, but not always with a helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom