Helmets and falling off....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
GWS @Hutch118, glad you're ok!
Was it a clipless moment in city centre traffic?
Helmets have their own sub forum, go have a look, can get a bit heated in there.

Hyslop

Veteran
Got out today folks and managed my first 30 miles. However,

I had a bad fall halfway through the ride in the middle of traffic in Edinburgh, my left foot came out of the peddle just when I was riding along and pushing down hard about 7-8 mph and the bike slid out from under me and down I went.

Hurt my back and bruised various bits but thank god I had on my helmet, my head went back onto the road and if I didn't have it on it would have been a hospital job. The crack must have been loud as a few folk helped me back up. Only a bit pride was hurt after it all. I'd implore anyone who doesn't use one to buy one ASAP. I used to be a person who thought maybe I didn't need it all the time, now I won't ride without one!!!!!

Not one driver stopped as I lay in the cycle lane for a few minutes till I got myself sorted out.
Glad youre well enough to post,hope you feel a bit better.Im sorry to read of the lack of help though,if youd been simply a pedestrian whod fallen over youd likely have been inundated with botherers,gawpers and amateur surgeons.

I never realised this would cause a debate like this with all the smart comments, and no I never realised this had been debated to death as someone pointed out, this is the beginners forum after all...

The comments about replacement are genuine.... if a helmet has an impact then it should be replaced.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'm glad it did its job today, I know for a fact that looking at the impact on the helmet, if I hadn't been wearing it, I'd have been in an ambulance.
Unless the guy next to you suffered an identical crash without a helmet, then you really don't. The difficult thing about "last night a helmet saved my life" stories is that there are far more of them than there are head injuries among the unhelmetted majority... so are helmeted riders much more crash prone, are helmets not as good as helmeted crashers thinks, or something else?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I went over a car boot once and landed on my shoulder - kerb must have missed.my head by what, extra width of a helmet? Luckily I wasn't wearing one !

EDIT - I should perhaps add the above is absolutely true, and not a piss-take. The bruise that appeared on my chest over the next few days covered maybe a 1/3 of my chest and was quite something !

Last edited:

buggi

Bird Saviour
Is the 6 months over?:tongue:
I'll let you know

aesir22

Regular
Glad you're ok. I wear a helmet, feel much safer with one. Seems plenty of people don't by the ever so subtle remarks on this thread :smile: i know of a guy at the local hospital who came off his bike and smacked his head off the ground. Been in a coma ever since. Would he be in a coma if he had been wearing a helmet? Who knows! But I feel safer wearing one. Preference I guess

classic33

Leg End Member
Glad you're ok. I wear a helmet, feel much safer with one. Seems plenty of people don't by the ever so subtle remarks on this thread :smile: i know of a guy at the local hospital who came off his bike and smacked his head off the ground. Been in a coma ever since. Would he be in a coma if he had been wearing a helmet? Who knows! But I feel safer wearing one. Preference I guess
A consultants view on helmets
'There are accidents where helmets are a great thing. There are others where a helmet doesn’t work' - hospital consultant
http://www.independent.ie/life/city...doesnt-work-hospital-consultant-31398352.html
"Recent research here shows that in direct impacts between cyclists and cars, the main areas of injury are to the torso or lower limbs, and a helmet offers little extra protection

But it is in secondary impacts – usually with the ground, or windscreen, or bonnet – that the helmet provides significant protection.

In 26 out of 32 secondary impact cases, helmets would have reduced the cyclists’ head injury by around 75pc, the research cited by the European Transport Safety Council (ETSC) shows."

Profpointy

Legendary Member
A consultants view on helmets
'There are accidents where helmets are a great thing. There are others where a helmet doesn’t work' - hospital consultant
http://www.independent.ie/life/city...doesnt-work-hospital-consultant-31398352.html
"Recent research here shows that in direct impacts between cyclists and cars, the main areas of injury are to the torso or lower limbs, and a helmet offers little extra protection

But it is in secondary impacts – usually with the ground, or windscreen, or bonnet – that the helmet provides significant protection.

In 26 out of 32 secondary impact cases, helmets would have reduced the cyclists’ head injury by around 75pc, the research cited by the European Transport Safety Council (ETSC) shows."

does it take account the extra numbers of impacts due to head being bigger? Or the extra number of accidents due to closer passing by cars? Would it be the same ratio for pedestrians?
And is there any explanation for why this effect doesn't seem to happen in Australia or Ontario where there's compulsion.

For what it's worth I used to wear one, long before they were trendy, and extolled the benefits. Then I actually did some reading on it, and no longer wear one

Reactions: mjr
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom