Helmets and falling off....

Discussion in 'Helmet Discussions' started by Hutch118, 26 Jul 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

Second that, and wearing the one that has suffered the impact might make things worse next time.
    http://www.bhsi.org/replace.htm for some help regards replacing it

2. TinyMyNewt

TinyMyNewt An execrable pun

It's a matter of faith. Some people bank on a St Christopher, or a rabbit's foot.

User1252, ianrauk and theclaud like this.
  3. classic33

A consultants view on helmets
    'There are accidents where helmets are a great thing. There are others where a helmet doesn’t work' - hospital consultant
    http://www.independent.ie/life/city...doesnt-work-hospital-consultant-31398352.html
    "Recent research here shows that in direct impacts between cyclists and cars, the main areas of injury are to the torso or lower limbs, and a helmet offers little extra protection

But it is in secondary impacts – usually with the ground, or windscreen, or bonnet – that the helmet provides significant protection.

In 26 out of 32 secondary impact cases, helmets would have reduced the cyclists’ head injury by around 75pc, the research cited by the European Transport Safety Council (ETSC) shows."

SpokeyDokey likes this.
  4. Profpointy

Profpointy Guru

does it take account the extra numbers of impacts due to head being bigger? Or the extra number of accidents due to closer passing by cars? Would it be the same ratio for pedestrians?
    And is there any explanation for why this effect doesn't seem to happen in Australia or Ontario where there's compulsion.

For what it's worth I used to wear one, long before they were trendy, and extolled the benefits. Then I actually did some reading on it, and no longer wear one

mjr likes this.
  5. TinyMyNewt

You keep posting this link, which seems to be an article behind a firewall by some anonymous Irish hospital consultant. Not very helpful.

mjr likes this.
  6. aesir22

aesir22 Regular

Can't tell if thats saying helmets are good or bad?? Lol. Either way, down to preference!

classic33 likes this.
  7. classic33

You have read the linked article I take it?

8. Profpointy

Profpointy Guru

No of course not :-)

EDIT : against me better judgement I have read it now. Better than some but no evidence - just "an expert said" , then some facts not related to the conclusion. To be fair it was just a newspaper article. And no predictably, it doesn't mention any of my questions

mjr likes this.
  9. TinyMyNewt

It's a matter of faith. That's the only explanation for the evangelical zeal with which people who believe in helmets keep going on and on about them.

mickle likes this.
  10. classic33

Consultants view on them. The person who treats the injuries when in A&E.

11. TinyMyNewt

I tried, but the link doesn't work.

12. TinyMyNewt

And we know that they use anecdata, ask the nurses who work with them.

classic33 likes this.
  13. classic33

Which is something many on here have been saying for a long while now.

14. classic33

Me I was told that the helmet actually made the injury worse, at the A&E. But shouldn't have bothered wearing one if I was going to remove it before being treated.
    He doesn't say that they will save you from head injury. He's used, it seems, what he has worked on for that piece.
    Its a piece in the Irish Indepenent. http://www.independent.ie/life/city...doesnt-work-hospital-consultant-31398352.html

15. screenman

screenman Legendary Member

You seem very concerned with money, personally I do not see it as a waste.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice