Helmets; The Paramedics View

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker

Drago

Legendary Member
The only bad bike smack I had was in 1976 when I was going for the world speed record on my Chopper, got into a violent tank slapper at 130mph, fell off and broke my leg. I just wish to God this woman's blog had been around then and I'd worn a helmet, cos I'd have survived unscathed.

Learnincurve

When my phone stops updating in 2016 I'm going to ask a paramedic what he thinks, he may be busy because he's currently training other paramedics. I'm going to take a wild stab at guessing that he thinks all cyclists are idiots.

And still no retraction or apology on her blog and twatter accounts.
If her bosses don't really care (strong possibility), she's just staying away from it as it's probably water off a duck's back to her.

Learnincurve

Ok I just spoke to a paramedic with 30 years experience and his opinion is this.

Yes you should wear a helmet if you are riding quickly, quickly being at above 25 miles an hour. Anything mounted to your helmet at this speed is "f'ing stupid" and this includes the plastic peaks. This is because of the speed you hit the ground.

If you are pootling around at 10 miles an hour then you are in no more danger than if you were a pedestrian, and that also applies to the damage you would sustain while being hit by a car. He believes that although there is a increased risk of being hit by a car if you are on the road it is balanced out by the decreased risk of a heart attack so it's up to you if you wear one or not, he couldn't give a monkeys either way.

In conclusion, he very much believes in the freedom of choice and would rather people go cycling with a helmet than not go cycling because they don't want to wear a helmet.
but you are "farking idiot" if you don't wear one in a fast moving pack or in competitions. He would like to note that he would not treat anyone any different no matter what they wear.

He is far far more concerned about chain guards not being a thing any more and would very much like people to make sure their chains/cogs/gears are ok before setting out, especially if you are planning on going fast.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yes, tell him there's little evidence of any positive benefit in a high energy impact scenario, the sort you're more likely to encounter at high speed simply there's more energy at play. I'm sorry if that upsets him, but I'm sure we'll all be genuinely very interested if he has evidence to the contrary.

But you can also reassure him that I wear a lid, although I also hold a realistic view about the sort of injury it's liable to spare me from.

Learnincurve

I have relayed the message, I typed it out via text and everything (last conversation was on the phone). You may get a response today but it may be tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom