Helmets; The Paramedics View

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As a friend of mine, who studies the physics of head injuries, often says things like - The problem with people from the medical profession giving advice on head injuries is that they have a perceived authority in the area of injury prevention. However, they do not have any real understanding of what does & doesn't cause an injury, they're just very good in treat the injuries. This leads to a lot of people thinking nothing more than uninformed opinion as medical fact.

The problem with these "professionals" is that much of what they spout is not "evidence based" which is really unacceptable in this day and age.

Lets take an illness that can be prevented by a simple vaccine

40% of the victims are between 20 and 30 years old
30% percent are between 30 and 40 years old
25% are between 40 and 50 years old
5% are between 50 and 60 years old

So knowing that we have a vaccine we then only discuss the 50 to 60 yer old group, refuse to invstigate or consider the other groups and allow the illness to kill and maim all the other groups.

Ridiculous?

Yet it is exactly what the medical profession does with head injuries!

View attachment 58652

Has this thread reached the standard CC conclusion?

Would it be very, very, very naughty to point out that the only person left standing appears to be the one without a helmet?

GrasB

Veteran
The problem with these "professionals" is that much of what they spout is not "evidence based" which is really unacceptable in this day and age.

Lets take an illness that can be prevented by a simple vaccine

40% of the victims are between 20 and 30 years old
30% percent are between 30 and 40 years old
25% are between 40 and 50 years old
5% are between 50 and 60 years old

So knowing that we have a vaccine we then only discuss the 50 to 60 yer old group, refuse to invstigate or consider the other groups and allow the illness to kill and maim all the other groups.

Ridiculous?

Yet it is exactly what the medical profession does with head injuries!
In this case it’s more like an orthodontist being taken as an authoritative source of information on heart surgery. Yes they work in the vaguely the same field but they don’t have the expertise in the area being talked about.

... I know a lot of (YAS) Paramedics, through my work-place (as they deliver to us....), & I'd hazard a guess that the overwhelming majority would agree with the blog

Yorkshire Ambulance Service? I'd hazard a guess that they would indeed agree with the blog, Sadly - that is a comment on the standard of complacently dangerous driving exhibited by far too many YAS drivers.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I went on a night ride last night and came home
Thanks for the clarification, FF. Head was a bit muzzy last night....
Muzzy??? If only you had worn a helmet....:cry:

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
In the UK you are far more likely to need a helmet when going out for a beer on a Friday night. We read countless stories of people being kicked in the head and stamped on during a booze-fuelled fight. Yet I don't shriek like a Harpie demanding revelers wear helmets.

Meanwhile I happily (and safely) ride on helmetless, enjoying THOUSANDS of miles and hours of pure unadulterated, un-polystyrene encumbered cycling, whistling at the birds, chatting to old ladies, laughing with horse riders, conversing with hikers, dog walkers and small children out with their parents enjoying their first tentative cycle rides.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Anyone else find 'her' use of the blog name 'Trying my Patients' to be a little too offensive towards the people she is PAID a LOT OF FERKING MONEY to CARE FOR....?

It reads to me like 'she' is judge, jury, and executioner towards her patients and the unfortunate circumstances that provided the 'fuel' for 'her' blog....

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Meanwhile I happily (and safely) ride on helmetless, enjoying THOUSANDS of miles and hours of pure unadulterated, un-polystyrene encumbered cycling, whistling at the birds, chatting to old ladies, laughing with horse riders, conversing with hikers, dog walkers and small children out with their parents enjoying their first tentative cycle rides.

Weirdo ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom