Helmets!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I am a bit confused about an expensive aero helmet mixed with a dirty great rucksack.

Its a special helmet, for special people.(and no its not a reference to the jersey he's wearing in the first pic) I'll be looking at doing a few charity rides this year too!

Anyhoo - I guess i'll wait for the January sales and see if i can pick up some discounts. I'll bite if the helmet comes down to 60 but most places are selling for close to £100 and only £80-89 for the black/blue version which im not after.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Ive got a pointy one

giro-advantage-helmet.jpg

and a non pointy one that looks pointy but isnt pointy

specialized-evade-black-red.jpg

SL Roll Cage Technology innit. Enables greater ventilation for the same strength. According to their website. It's up to you whether you buy into it of course.

That was about two minutes of looking on the Giro website, BTW. Did you try that?

NOT starting a debate on wearing or not wearing, this is about the structure of helmets

The problem here is that the roll cage and ventilation may mean the same structural strength, but compromises functionality

There is less material to absorb the energy of an impact, and the remaining material is denser to maintain mechanical form, again absorbing less energy

These helmets are becoming less and less efficient at the main task

c72523c080d5479994002ffaa028d2a8.jpg

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
NOT starting a debate on wearing or not wearing, this is about the structure of helmets

The problem here is that the roll cage and ventilation may mean the same structural strength, but compromises functionality

There is less material to absorb the energy of an impact, and the remaining material is denser to maintain mechanical form, again absorbing less energy

These helmets are becoming less and less efficient at the main task

c72523c080d5479994002ffaa028d2a8.jpg
I have to agree , i have a helmet that is great for ventilation but the structure (?) is a lot denser compared to a more traditional helmet , its cooler but i doubt it would do much but crack like a walnut if i fell/ got knocked off.

Mrs M

Guru
I'm sure my old jockey skull from my horse riding days would give much more protection than my cycle helmet.
But it would probably look a bit silly on the bike :bicycle:

Sadly the case, before fashion took over, the helmets of 30 years ago were far better at protecting

It is also the reason why many wear helmets like the Evade (above) as they have fewer vents and with smoother surfaces are (in theory) less likely to snag and cause rotational injuries

adamhearn

Veteran
Yes, I paid £100 for a helmet but only because it was in the sale, felt comfortable and was one of the best at not making me look too much like a mushroom head. I also have/use a peaked helmet from Bell which cost me about £30 which I'd hope/expect to provide as much protection as the Kask.

Kask Vertigo in Black/Lime; image courtesy of Amazon

81g8juj5fwL._SL1500_.jpg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
must admit a new helmet is on the cards for me as my current one is at least 4 years old , so armed with some Halfords Vouchers i will be looking at whats around over the weekend , fancy one with a built in rear light

Top Bottom