Helmets!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Did you remember Quidco for more cash back ;)

I'm not sure what is sexy about moulded plastic and polystyrene :wacko:

Not registered on quidco. I suppose i should?

the same can be said about a chunk of metal but that dont stop people loving them any less.

1977MO43.jpg

Because its 'art' in the most raw sense.

The way the way the helmet is styled, the venting, the paintwork. the angles, the whole racey look of it just screams "gotta go fast!" but the obvious reality of it I struggle to maintain 18-20mph as an average speed while on a commute and its not because of traffic lights.

This is what the front of a savant looks like.

244880_11116_XL.jpg

Its so 'bleh' and doesnt look as sleek and streamlined/aero as the Atmos II

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Summers on the way. This is my Kick bike helmet. Not an invitation to Kick me in the head.

imagejpg1_zps896f9424.jpg

Last edited:

*Dusty*

Returning Hero.
Planet X helmet on the way, £15 in their "flash friday" sale today. The £54.99 may be a bit misleading as they were £29.99 last week but hey, it'll do me nicely.

HE365PRR_P2.jpg
HE365PRR_P4.jpg
HE365PRR_P8.jpg

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Helmet arrived a on Friday. Nice helmet but build quality is absolutely crap compared to my Giro Savant. Paint work is not even in some areas. and the foam the helmet was made out of was a little uneven inside. There was this large 'bump' at the front/center of the helmet which made having it on extremely uncomfortable as it put all the pressure on one single spot instead of having the helmet 'rest' over the head. Padding is also mediocre and definitely not worth £100 let alone the £63 (almost £64) i paid for it.

I couldnt be arsed to send it back to ProBikeKit for an exchange so I just sanded down the uncomfortable bumps and used some sticky velcro hook patches that i cut to size to take the padding from my Giro Savant and attach them inside the new helmet.

I honestly should have included before and after pictures but i totally forgot. While i have sanded down some of the structure and added my own padding I cant change the paint work.

Im heading out with a friend right now but i'll take pictures later when i get back.

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
They wouldn't price match PBK, seems odd

My bad, i tried to price match with wiggle but no.

I should have tried to match again but against pbk's price.

No worries anyway

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Mmm, some nice looking lids.
Been wondering if I should replace mine, in good condition but it's around 5 years old :dry:.

Probably rubbish but dont manufacturers give their lids a recommended 3 year life span? I know its probably just to make you keep giving them money though

Mrs M

Guru
Probably rubbish but dont manufacturers give their lids a recommended 3 year life span? I know its probably just to make you keep giving them money though
Probably, but like everything else things should have improved greatly in 5 years.
Been thinking about a jockey skull type hat, just looks a bit safer to me.

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Probably, but like everything else things should have improved greatly in 5 years.
Been thinking about a jockey skull type hat, just looks a bit safer to me.

In that case you might need a set of these....

cruiser-motorcycle-goggle-brown-crhome-silver.jpg

and a pair of these

243416-MM10632d.jpg

To complete your look :tongue:

Dont worry, With these winds currently ravaging the UK, I think you'll fit right in :tongue:

Last edited:
OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
So here are some pics.

If it was yellow it would look like a peice of Bumblebee from transformers.
P1000027_zpsuei5utpl.jpg

P1000032_zpsyakp24oq.jpg

P1000031_zpsr1od20dr.jpg

Notice the 'paint chip' on the mid/bottom left venting? Theres a small part like this at the front too.
P1000034_zpsdmhilhsq.jpg

Heres the inside of the helmet after i did a little sanding and added sticky velcro for more padding - I didnt want to take the pads off my Savant as i still wanted to use it so grabbed the old ones off my Bell helmet which is a little too large for me.
P1000039_zpsogzg2nw3.jpg

Heres a pic with almost all the pads taken out. You can see where i sanded down marked by the letter 'T' velcro sticky
P1000041_zpsejgyst4s.jpg

P1000043_zps0fyoznj9.jpg

Before buying from PBK I checked out ebay and made an offer for a second hand one. I did notice in the owner's pics that some of the paint work on his helmet wasnt so great either and thought nothing of it. But after mine arrived in this state, i think its a widespread QC issue.

While i totally lusted over this helmet for more than a month (Thread was originally created in December 30th) the final product is honestly not everything its lived up to be. The finish on my lower end Savant is a lot better than the Atmos II but i cant return it now since i've done a little DIY on it.

I cant really tell the difference between the weight of the two but they are probably within the ballpark as each other anyway. the Atmos II looks like it was made with less material as it has the built in 'rollcage' to strengthen it.

I havent had time to test it yet - I took the tube in for saturday and it looks the same for monday as i dont like cycling in stormy conditions.

Since the Atmos has one more cooling vent than the Savant, i dont think cooling will be that much different unless Giro have really improved on the wind tunneling.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Jaykun85

Anyone have the Uvex Race 5 Helmet ? I'm tempted to get one of the 2016 models ? are they any good.
They are made in germany and i know german made things are pretty much really good (until you take them for a MOT)

Top Bottom