Helmets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
ALWAYS! When you have experienced a helmets true potential you never think twice about it. If you haven't experienced the benefits of a good helmet, and you think it will never happen to you - good luck!

I have xrayed many patients in casualty who this would apply to.... most pedestrians or car drivers though!

Should I be concerned that they are not wearing helmets and thus benefitted from this enlightening and conversonal experience

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
The last time I hit the deck I did end up with a small lump on the back of my head. Nothing remotely serious, no contusion or confusion. I reckon that, had I been wearing a helmet, I'd have broken it, and people would be telling me I was lucky to be alive. Final point of interest: I was on foot, running, at the time and slipped on the pavement.

Clandy

I wonder how often people would drive if every time they wanted to use their car they had to put on a flameproof suit and a crash helmet.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
ALWAYS! When you have experienced a helmets true potential you never think twice about it. If you haven't experienced the benefits of a good helmet, and you think it will never happen to you - good luck!

I'm impressed I didn't think there was anyone in the world that had experienced a helmets true potential, just to clarify:-

You crashed and had a damaged helmet which led you to believe you'd have had a more seriously damaged head if you hadn't been wearing one. To prove this you then recreated an identical crash while not wearing a helmet and suffered those, more serious, damages.

If you did this then I salute your dedication if, on the other hand, you're merely guessing then you're full of it.

Clandy

Here is the Snell B90 a/c Standard for cycle helmet testing. The Snell standard is the 'gold' standard for cycle helmets, superior to the European standard. Only one helmet manufacturer makes helmets to the full Snell standard: Specialized.

http://www.snellhelm...pdf/b90astd.pdf

Cycle helmets are tested:

'
a. For each impact against the flat anvil, the impact energy shall be 100 J for all testing regardless of headform size or weight. Given an ideal frictionless mechanical test facility, this impact energy represents a 2.2+ meter drop of a 5 kg headform and supporting assembly.23

b. For each impact against the hemispherical anvil, the impact energy shall be 65 J for all testing regardless of headform size or weight. Given an ideal frictionless mechanical test facility, this impact energy represents a 1.3+ meter drop of a 5 kg headform and supporting assembly.

c. For each impact against the kerbstone anvil, the impact energy shall be 58 J for all testing regardless of headform size or weight. Given an ideal frictionless mechanical test facility, this impact energy represents a 1.2 meter drop of a 5 kg headform and supporting assembly.

d. If the impact energy for any test impact exceeds the energy specified by more than 3%, that impact shall be declared invalid.'

I'm pretty sure ANY impact when falling from a bicycle or being hit by a couple of tons of motor vehicle is going to exceed 100J. So if people are happy wearing their polystyrene placebos, that's fine by me, but don't pontificate at me and tell me I must share the fantasy that helmets save lives.

blubb

How did we all survive as kids?

Climbing tress, playing with fire, riding your bike while trying to stand up on your saddle, only to name a few. During my time i had a hole in the head(3 stiches), countless scratches and a broken left arm, but i am still alive and wouldn't want to miss any of these experiences. Really annoyed by all this safety nonesense nowadays.

crunch61

How did we all survive as kids?

Climbing tress, playing with fire, riding your bike while trying to stand up on your saddle, only to name a few. During my time i had a hole in the head(3 stiches), countless scratches and a broken left arm, but i am still alive and wouldn't want to miss any of these experiences. Really annoyed by all this safety nonesense nowadays.

Have to agree really.
Never wanted one, and have no plans to wear one.

I buy bottled water sometimes. I'm not a fan of coke and if I'm thirsty when I'm out it can be difficult getting something diety that isn't coke.

I particularly like sparkling water.

Completely OT, I wouldn't buy bottled water again after having watched a documentary about the many farces involved. The one that particularly annoyed me was where the government gave money to Africa because there was a Cholera epidemic and the people urgently needed clean water. They found it but considered it was too pure for the people, put up a bottling plant and the people are still dying of Cholera :angry:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I'm impressed I didn't think there was anyone in the world that had experienced a helmets true potential, just to clarify:-

You crashed and had a damaged helmet which led you to believe you'd have had a more seriously damaged head if you hadn't been wearing one. To prove this you then recreated an identical crash while not wearing a helmet and suffered those, more serious, damages.

If you did this then I salute your dedication if, on the other hand, you're merely guessing then you're full of it.

:biggrin: :thumbsup:

Clandy

bubble+wrap+2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom