Helmets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Clandy

I wear one. What's it like on the other side?

Wonderfully free of helmet nazis.
biggrin.gif

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I reckon cycle helmets were dreamed up by the people who started out selling bottled water. Two utterly useless products brilliantly marketed by convincing people they were going to die if they didn't buy them.

OP
OP
Thelma

Thelma

I buy bottled water sometimes. I'm not a fan of coke and if I'm thirsty when I'm out it can be difficult getting something diety that isn't coke.

I particularly like sparkling water.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I buy bottled water sometimes. I'm not a fan of coke and if I'm thirsty when I'm out it can be difficult getting something diety that isn't coke.

I particularly like sparkling water.

That is the only acceptable reason for drinking bottled water.

oldroadman

Veteran
Wonderfully free of helmet nazis.
biggrin.gif

The other side of the channel/north sea is called France/Belgium/Nederland. Where they know a bit about cycling. It's a place where freedom is allowed if you don't brass too many people off. The Belgiums have even got by for months without a government (no majority and they are still deciding what to do), and surprise, things still hsppen, the trains run, bike races happen, all the usual services work, pretty much everything normal. Which gives me an idea...

oldroadman

Veteran
I reckon cycle helmets were dreamed up by the people who started out selling bottled water. Two utterly useless products brilliantly marketed by convincing people they were going to die if they didn't buy them.

+ about a million. Spot on.

lambtonbookworm

I don't wear a helmet.

It's reassuring to know I'm not the only person who thinks they are a croc. I'm not convinced of the protection that a molded piece of polystyrene offers.

Besides, surely polystyrene is ecologically unsound. Why are they made from polystyrene? What are motorbike helmets made from? Not from polystyrene I'm sure.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
On the helmet thing, I wrote in the IAM survey that I wear it to protect me from myself, not from anyone else. If I have an accident on my own (clipless moment, tree branch, pot-hole etc) then a helmet may help. If a car / van / truck / lorry is involved, though, it'll probably be of little use.

That was my thinking when I bought mine, though I am less and less convinced by the arguments for them as time goes on.

Wouldn't be without my gloves though, and I've decided that if it's too cold to cycle in just a t-shirt, I'll wear my hi-viz jacket since cars and lorries give me a much wider berth when I'm wearing it, than not.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
That was my thinking when I bought mine, though I am less and less convinced by the arguments for them as time goes on.

Wouldn't be without my gloves though, and I've decided that if it's too cold to cycle in just a t-shirt, I'll wear my hi-viz jacket since cars and lorries give me a much wider berth when I'm wearing it, than not.

Never cycled in London then?
You could wear head to to hi viz with more lights then a christmas tree and it still doesn't stop feckwit motons passing too claose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom