Help getting my feet into toe clips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marooncat

After the helpful advice over the weekend I have bought a pair of cycle shoes and the following pedals/toeclips from Edinburgh Bike Co-op

Toe Clips

I fitted them after work and went out to try them out. It was pitch dark by this time so this might have had a influence on the problems I had (especially when I turned around on the unlit cycle path) but I had a nightmare getting my feet into them. It was really hard to get them the right way up and then put my foot in them when I got them turned over. I do not think have the bands to tight as they are lose when I get my feet into them

Is it just a case of persevere and one day it will become second nature or is their a trick to this. I am worried about the junctions on the road I have on my ride to work, it is one thing cycling along staring at my feet on the cycle path but I would not like to do this on the main road.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
toe clips, to be honest, have long had their day. compared to modern clipless pedal systems (where a cleat on the sole of the shoe clips into a mechanism on the pedal), they are dangerous. you will, of course, find the knack eventually, but i would recommend investing in some clipless pedals and specific shoes. if you are mainly commuting or pleasure riding, shimano's spd system is quite cheap and readily available.

So you went for full on toe-clips. :biggrin:

Well, as you say, keep the straps loose for now. The weight of the clips will present the flat of the pedal to you at an angle just off 90 degrees away from you.

So right foot in and tighten this strap a little tighter than the left as you won't really take it out. Eventually you can tighten this hard in. Push down on the right and begin. As you kick off bring the left forward to sweep the flat of the pedal down onto your sole and get going using the flat. Once going, clear of obstacles and with enough speed to pause, take your foot of the left pedal and allow it to swing down. Flick the back edge down and slide in your foot and away you go. Whenever you stop, you slide out the left, leave the right in and just slide off the seat right foot up, weight to the left and left foot planted on the road.

Eventually the flick becomes very natural and you will do it as you take off with the right. I always tightened my right foot in at the beginning of the journey. Left varied. In traffic I just kept it loose but on longer rides I tightened it in. In which case you have to plan a rolling stop which gives you room to reach down and loosen the strap before halting.

In many ways you've actually chosen a more difficult route as the technique is harder to master than clipless and you can only withdraw your foot backwards. The advantage is you don't feel locked in though and you can remove the left strap until you feel more confident. This is why I suggested the half toe-clips as you can move the foot out sideways but you still get some support and advantage.

Still if you master this, you can be confident you won't have any issues with clipless. :biggrin:

jay clock

Massive member
i used toe clips when I tested a bike the other day and found it very hard. SPD style pedals are great - the Shimano M324 model or equivalent is the perfect one if nervous as it has a flat side

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hi marooncat
I'm assuming that the cage points downwards or slightly upside-down when you're not using them. If that's the case it's just like the old style pedal and clips.
Hard to explain, but you put your the ball of your foot onto the pedal (should the back edge of the pedal) and then firmly move your foot backwards, the front of the pedal should then start to rise and you'll see a point at which the clip-strap starts to come over the toe of your foot, the pedal will nearly be horizontal ad at that moment you push your foot forward into the clip. I hope that makes some kind of sense. On older clipped pedals there was a small triangular tooth on the lower rear-edge of the pedal, this helped the initial flip of the pedal when you moved your foot backwards at the start of the process.
Worth practicing indoors, pu the bike in a doorway and get on ( the door-frame will give you something to lean against, then practice flipping the pedal and sliding your foot in at the right moment.
It does become second nature with both feet. I have clips on my fixed!

OP
OP
M

marooncat

I know that I prob should have got for clipless but I really do not feel up to trying them at the moment (just worried about having to remember to unclip properly which if I understand it right is a bit of a practiced art).

The old pedals on my bike did not have the holes for attaching the half toe clips to so I thought I was as well to go for what I have rather than trying to get new pedals separately. However what I might do for a couple of days (or weeks :biggrin:) is take the straps off them and just use them as half clips to give me a while to get used to them.

Then on Sunday (hangover permitting :biggrin: I will go out and find a quiet section of road somewhere and practice starting and stopping lots of times..

marooncat said:
The old pedals on my bike did not have the holes for attaching the half toe clips to so I thought I was as well to go for what I have rather than trying to get new pedals separately. However what I might do for a couple of days (or weeks :biggrin:) is take the straps off them and just use them as half clips to give me a while to get used to them

Ah, hence full clips. I didn't spot that before. Yeah, try it without the left strap but still using the technique mentioned (explained much better by FF). Then if you do make a mistake you can get your foot out. You will find that the clip will be quite flexible without the strap though, so I wouldn't persevere too long with doing that, just long enough to get the technique.

I used toe-clips for nigh on 20 years, only recently converting to SPD's.

Anyway with the shoes and clips, we'll be interested to hear if it makes an improvement to your cycling.

OP
OP
M

marooncat

Crackle said:
Anyway with the shoes and clips, we'll be interested to hear if it makes an improvement to your cycling.

I am aiming to cycle to work tomorrow so will report back how I get on with them in the morning. It was hard to tell this evening as it was pitch dark and I am still getting used to cycling in the dark as well :?:

Will try what you suggest Foodie and see how I get on...

Try not to wear heavy soled trainers if you can - they can be a bit more difficult with clips & straps. Clips were standard for many years. Clipless came in while I was off bikes for a while. Now I've returned and converted with only a single off in 2 years.

threefingerjoe

Über Member
I still ride with the old-fashioned toe clips. Maybe I'll make the change someday. I know that nearly everyone recommends "clipless". These are just what I'm used to.

Anyway, check the pedals to make sure that the clips are installed on the proper side of the pedal. When the pedal is hanging upside down, there is usually a little tab sticking up that you can grab with the sole of your shoe to aid in flipping the pedal upright. Sometimes people will install clips on the wrong side of the pedal, so that tab ends up under your sole when your foot is in the clip. The tab can't do you any good in that position.

OP
OP
M

marooncat

Well I made it into work slightly quicker than normal (28 mins to 30 mins) but that could have been due to the wind and me trying to overtake and prove a point old codger who had cut me up :?:

I took the strap out of the left pedal and have been practicing rolling it over to get my foot in using the technique suggested by foodie and I found it not bad. I was trying to practice putting my foot in when cycling along without looking...I seemed to have a bit of sucess with that.

ASC1951

Guru
John Ponting said:
Try not to wear heavy soled trainers if you can - they can be a bit more difficult with clips & straps.
You really need smooth soled shoes for toe clips, especially with straps.
Like most older cyclists I was brought up on that system but haven't used them for nearly twenty years. Clipless pedals are just so much better. The only time I would consider using clips would be if I had to do a short commute in ordinary shoes and then I would go for mini-clips with no straps.

Tynan

Veteran
it's been said very well but strap very loose if at all and stick to it, it's infuriating but eventually your foot learns the trick

clipless is better other than wearing odd shoes

I had toe clips (with straps) for a while on one bike then urban toe clips (without straps) on another. I've since changed to clipless on all bikes, in a panick / potential clipless moment :biggrin: IME they are easier to get out off than the straps.
With whatever I used clips or clipless I've always found it better to keep my dominant foot clipped/ strapped in and push off with that and the other foot usually follows, if not its no biggie and I clip in later when I can look down safely. Over time, the time spent looking down becomes little or non existant.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I put toeclips on my Spesh CrossRoads hybrid and found that they made a big difference to my cycling. They also made a bit of a mess of the toes of my shoes :bicycle: ! My experience is that the toeclip drags on the ground when using the flat bit of the pedal and it's rather irritating !

I tried some Lidl :biggrin: clipless shoes and pedals (about £16 and £10 IIRC) and the difference is just as dramatic. I reckon they are easier to get into/out of too. It's a confidence thing - and once you've had a "clipless moment", had a laugh, realised that it doesn't hurt more then your pride :biggrin:, it's OK.

If you can remember to depress a clutch when you stop a car, you can remember to unclip from pedals when you stop a bike.

Top Bottom