Help me help the father-in-law!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After he found out that I'm soon to spend on my (current) dream road bike, he decided now is the time for him to upgrade too. Therefore, I make no apologies for this being yet another 'What bike' thread. I make no apologies, because he wants to spend the sort of money I can only dream of, and therefore have no experience of!

His budget is around £3000 to £4000, but it's flexible and could go further for the right bike, with 5,000 being the absolute upper limit, and it would generally have to be something very, very special to stretch to that price. He's retired now, but is a very fit 57 year old, so no corners need to be cut - he regularly cycles long distances for many hours. He won't be racing on this bike, but will be looking to put down some decent (though not huge, think 30-60 miles per normal trip?) mileage in his competition to beat me this year!

With the money he's spending, he wants his dream bike. The criteria is quite simple - Italian is preferred, carbon or titanium, with a slight leaning towards Ti. Road bike styling/geometry, no need for pannier support etc.

There's a LBS near us that are stockists of Bianchi, Pinnarello and Campagnalo (someone correct me if these three aren't Italian?) so these may be a good starting point. I'm going to go with him to the shop and drool as he takes a look a some of them soon, but wondered if anyone here had any suggestions?

PoweredByVeg

Über Member
Jesus-H-Christ, how much:eek:

Respect due to the fella, and FWIW I'd go for a Team Sky replica Pinarello, mmmmmmmm is nice:wub:

OP
OP
CopperCyclist

CopperCyclist

Veteran
[QUOTE 1678508, member: 45"]Why not go to that posh bike shop just up from Evans in Brum city centre?[/quote]

Is that Northfield Bikes, or something like that? It's on the 'to be considered' list :smile:

screenman

Legendary Member
That is rather young to be finished working. Most of the people I know of that age spending that sort of money are going the Pinarello route.

boydj

Legendary Member
With retirement looming, I've been thinking along dream bike lines myself. I'm drawn to the Enigma range - http://www.enigmabikes.com/ - with a full Campag groupset. I'm thinking more along the lines of a light tourer, like the Ethos or the Etape. I prefer to have mudguards for the changeable weather conditions we have in northern parts.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Lucky chap!

At that age I'd want some class under my ass: got to be Ti (bloated over-size tubes or svelte and sinewy); not to mention that for distance rather than speed, Ti has the edge over carbon.

Furthermore, I wouldn't be putting that kind of money down on something off the shelf: custom built; no question.

A few suggestions to whet the appetite:
Van Nicholas
Enigma
Burls
Sabbath

Whatever the final decision we want pictures, OK?

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
This looks good. it's the one i would go for.
pinnerilo.jpg

Attachments

• pinnerilo.jpg
    pinnerilo.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 45

VamP

Banned
I dunno - a dream bike is surely just that, something intensely personal. If I was gonna spend 5k on a once in a lifetime treat I sure as hell wouldn't be asking an internet forum to give me ideas...

Having said that ^_^

Something Italian with a bit of Campagnolo on the side is certainly a good direction... Personally I really like the Bianchi tradition and history, so would be tempted by this http://www.competitivecyclist.com/frame/2011-bianchi-sempre-8267.html

(probably with a SuperRecord build) and a nice light but strong handbuilt wheelset. Relaxed geometry, gauging by your comments, though if he is more racy than you make him sound the Oltre is definitely worth a look.

OP
OP
CopperCyclist

CopperCyclist

Veteran
I dunno - a dream bike is surely just that, something intensely personal. If I was gonna spend 5k on a once in a lifetime treat I sure as hell wouldn't be asking an internet forum to give me ideas...

He didn't, he asked me. I had no idea, so I turned to you lot! Also, remember the 5k is a stretch, the 3-4k is the more realistic goal.

Although he'll still be looking around, Enigma have crept an early lead ATM - he's looking at the Echo closely.

jonathanw

Chorlton and the Wheelies
2012 Bianchi Infinito Ultegra (and he will have plenty of change)

Carbon and very light, with relaxed geometry. Highly recommended.

Minimal Bianchi celeste green, stunning black and white with japanese components (I know I should be shot for suggesting not going campag).

Moss

Colnago, Pinerello, Ridley, CUBE! Look, the choice is endless; but your going to have some fun looking!

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Go ask for Andy in Bicicielo in Birmingham.

http://www.bicicielo.com/

He's the owner of the Pinarello concept shop and he'll sort your dad out. He's also an ex-pro racer (for the Pinarello team) so knows a thing or two, and is a seriously nice guy. For that sort of bunce your looking at a lower end Dogma or high end Prince or Kobh. Now given that your dad wants to do miles and not race I would recommend the Kobh as it's more geared around sportive's / gran fondo's and not a pure race machine. Alternatively he could do what I did and get a FPQuattro and spend the extra on some better wheels. An FPQ will set you back about 2.7K, a Kobh about 4K+ and a Dogma anywhere from 5-10K. This is my FPQ:
pinarello.jpg

I can rack up 70,80,100 miles on this with comfort and ease, so it's a good road machine.

OP
OP
CopperCyclist

CopperCyclist

Veteran
Well, decision was made! I don't think he hit his full budget at all, but he went with the bike he found and wanted - a Kinesis Ti Racelight. As promised, pictures are below:

(Ignore the saddle colour - its a 'test' saddle from the bike shop to see if he finds it comfortable before buying a normal coloured one!)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332954181.902184.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332954181.902184.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 64
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332954200.855211.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332954200.855211.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 68
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332954231.401726.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332954231.401726.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 67

davester65

Growing Old is Compulsory...Growing Up is Optional
Well under budget then, i would guess at about £2500, (the frameset is about £1400) Not very italian! cracking bike though, i ride a Kinesis and all their frames get great reviews.

Top Bottom