Help me spend some money.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ayceejay

Guru
For a chainset I would suggest the Sugino RD with its own BB at 103 cheap but very serviceable. Take the free wheels and get Panaracer Gravel tires at 28.

DaveyA

Über Member
I have used a set of wheels from SS Components on my bike for a couple of winters now, done about 5000 miles on them with no trouble. Ride a mixture of road and tracks sometimes and they have stood up well. I would deffo buy another set.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I built mine up nearly 12 months ago, but ended up spending a 'little' more than you. I opted for handbuilt wheels which may have made the ride better for me & maybe something you could consider, but might up the spend a little. I doubt you will get the gearing right at the first attempt, my initial attempt was far too high & wasn't spinning out till nearly 30mph, which was fine with the wind, but a nightmare into it ;-)

OP
OP
Milkfloat

Milkfloat

An Peanut
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
So I finally had a couple of hours to start on the build this evening. The crown race was a bugger to get on, but the bearing cups pressed in fairly easily with my home made have cut the steerer down, but left plenty of spacers in case I screwed it up. I will ride for a while and then decide a final cut. Finally the bottom bracket unsurprisingly caused no issues.

I don't think I will time for much more for a while, but I am glad I got started. So far touch wood, my first build is going ok.

OP
OP
Milkfloat

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have one question. When fitting the fixed sprocket it looks like the side with the lip should screw on first, but then the writing showing the number of teeth would not be visible. Is that right?

D

Deleted member 1258

I have one question. When fitting the fixed sprocket it looks like the side with the lip should screw on first, but then the writing showing the number of teeth would not be visible. Is that right?

yes

OP
OP
Milkfloat

Milkfloat

An Peanut
So a bit of an update. I had a couple of hours to play tonight, so I have almost finished it off. I am a bit disappointed that it was so easy and quick. Still left to do is bar tape when I have sorted out bar and brake lever position. However, first I have to try and work out why both Shimano R400 brake levers rattle. They are particularly bad when my hands are not on the hoods. I would also like to work out how to remove the logos from the seat post. Feel free to comment on what I have done wrong

20160623_195539055_iOS.jpg

D

Deleted member 1258

Nice! Do you have any idea's on what might be causing the rattle on the brake levers? I can't see anything obvious on the picture.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
So a bit of an update. I had a couple of hours to play tonight, so I have almost finished it off. I am a bit disappointed that it was so easy and quick. Still left to do is bar tape when I have sorted out bar and brake lever position. However, first I have to try and work out why both Shimano R400 brake levers rattle. They are particularly bad when my hands are not on the hoods. I would also like to work out how to remove the logos from the seat post. Feel free to comment on what I have done wrong

View attachment 132811
More importantly .... how does she ride goddammit?

OP
OP
Milkfloat

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Nice! Do you have any idea's on what might be causing the rattle on the brake levers? I can't see anything obvious on the picture.

It seems to be internal, possibly where the lever connects to the hood frame. It is both brakes, so it could just be that they are cheap and nasty. It does it with cables installed and there seems to be a bit of play in the levers. Maybe I am just being sensitive because of the silence of the fixed drive frame.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
View attachment 132223 View attachment 132222 So I finally had a couple of hours to start on the build this evening. The crown race was a bugger to get on, but the bearing cups pressed in fairly easily with my home made have cut the steerer down, but left plenty of spacers in case I screwed it up. I will ride for a while and then decide a final cut. Finally the bottom bracket unsurprisingly caused no issues.

I don't think I will time for much more for a while, but I am glad I got started. So far touch wood, my first build is going ok.
Crown race was a bastard on mine .... some gluey gunk in the way ....

OP
OP
Milkfloat

Milkfloat

An Peanut
More importantly .... how does she ride?

Only been up the road a couple of times, so difficult to tell. It is heavy in the hand, but seems ok with riding. I am a bit nervous about pedal strike as I decided to be brave and start off fixed. I had a couple of short test rides without brakes, but have decided wisely that it is best to get them fitted before going over 10 miles an hour.

I will commute tomorrow with more of an update. Perhaps I will be ordering a new sprocket as 44x16 seems a little under geared for me, then again I have not tried any hills yet.

D

Deleted member 1258

It seems to be internal, possibly where the lever connects to the hood frame. It is both brakes, so it could just be that they are cheap and nasty. It does it with cables installed and there seems to be a bit of play in the levers. Maybe I am just being sensitive because of the silence of the fixed drive frame.

I'm reading reviews on Chain Reaction Cycles and it appears to be a known problem with them. If you look at this review it seems there might be a solution.

The rattle can be fixed by removing the hard plastic piece on the front of the lever and placing a wedge of stiff foam into the space and then replacing the plastic piece. The wedge needs to extend down into the internal part of the brake so that it cannot move out of position. Does not seem to affect the operation at all. Can't say how long this will last, but only takes a few seconds to do.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-tiagra-r400-brake-levers/rp-prod13672

Top Bottom