Help! Totally messed up the rear derailleur…

• Thread starter Deleted member 121159
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 121159

Hello all

I messed up the derailleur set up by playing with the B screw and derailleur hanger. Now it’s stuck in this position and shifts only between a few gears. What have I done?! Any advice would be appreciated. B screw is screwed in all the way yet the derailleur is almost sticking to the chainstay

057722C7-4253-4D16-98A4-792574127AFC.jpeg

Ajax Bay

Guru
First suggestion: remove derailleur, have the b screw half in/out and refit ensure b screw meets the correct detent.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 121159

Thanks for the response! I'll try that.

I've also noticed that the hanger (not the actual hanger that attaches to the frame, but one that is between that and the derailleur) looks different from in this photo. Mine looks more vertical than below. Could that also be causing an issue?

1662153651544.png

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 121159

I've fixed it now (although the indexing is horribly off so I'll have to work on that tomorrow). The link between derailleur and hanger was indeed the culprit. I'm not sure how I did it but it didn't sit properly previously so pushed the derailleur forward to the chainstay.

Yep, that's exactly it. In my case, I hadn't even removed the original chain and cable which were working fine before, so it completely baffled me when they suddenly seemed too short. The mech indeed has to sit properly against a hard-to-see notch in the hanger.

Glad its sorted ^_^

Top Bottom