Help while on the road.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Human nature - same happened with that poor bloke on the side of the road in Jerusalem circa 2000 years ago. Luckily, Samaritans are some of the founding Fathers of cycleChat and stopped to help.

400bhp

Guru
Would you have been annoyed if you were in that situation and some fellow cyclist passed by and just totally ignored you or am i just being too dramatic? :ninja:

As has been commented, you don't know what was going on with the cyclist.

It was one rider. If it had been, say 15+ then I would be a little sad that no-one offered. Not upset though.

There has only been one occasion to date when I hae come across a couple of cyclists dealing with a puncture on one of the bikes. Due to the fact they looked like they had it completely under control plus I didn't have any tools/pump with me at the time I didn't bother stopping.

If someone looked like they were in need of a bit of help I would stop to see if there was anything that I could do for them.

OP
OP
Superdude

Superdude

Cheers guys.

I can see other points of view which i haven't thought of earlier on and I do agree with most of them. Perhaps i shouldn't be so hard on other people. :whistle:

Mapster5

If I see someone who looks in trouble with a puncture or something I'll slow down and ask if there ok if they want help they'll probably say so. But some people seem to not want help cos they think it's like giving in and not be very bike savvy

Globalti

Legendary Member
The last time I offered to help a cyclist with a puncture, it was a woman and on an exposed windy hilltop road overlooking Morecambe Bay and I could see she was struggling; she even admitted she was having problems with frozen hands. So I headed over towards her and began to crouch down to where she was wrestling with the tyre. Her reponse? In a loud angry voice:

"NO I'M FINE, I CAN FIX IT MYSELF, I REALLY DON'T NEED ANY HELP!!!!!"

(Have since met someone who knows her professionally and this level of hostility is apparently quite routine.)

Sandra6

Veteran
Last time I asked a cyclist if he needed a hand I got a load of abuse for my trouble, so I may think twice next time.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I sometimes ask but am always relieved when the answer is "no I'm ok". I don't think random cyclists have any idea of the damage I can do with just sheer cackhandedness so it's best if I stay well away from other peoples' bikes.

The last time I helped someone was in the office. I have a track pump under my desk and he asked if I'd help pump his new inner tube up. I did. I then tore the valve off removing the pump. He want to buy a new inner tube. He didn't bother me again. :tongue:

My husband stopped to check on one guy wearing team colours who had is bike in bits at the side of the road and a rather exasperated look. Transpired he had a flat tyre, his pump had just failed on him and he had no way of contacting anyone for help. We were able to assist.

I recently checked on someone walking their road bike along the road - they had nothing to fix their flat tyre with and no way of contacting anyone either.

Ironically I have never had anyone offer assistance/or even check I'm OK when I have had a flat (rare event), nor did anyone come to my assistance when I came off my bike on my commute home many years ago leaving me pushing my bike & limping badly to the nearest phone box (no mobile signal in that area) to ring home for help - reverse charges because I had no money on me either.

oldroadman

Veteran
I would always ask, and if they say Ok wish "best of luck" and carry on. In the reverse situation, all you have to say (if help is not needed) "thanks, but I'm OK". Where does all this agression and not wanting to help come from? Maybe I'm just getting old(er!).
Motos do it too, usually a quick look and a nod, a thumbs up if OK and if not a lot stop.
There is nothing wrong with trying to be a decent human being, and rebuffs (as in the lady with puncture post above) only demean the person doing it. Take it in your stride, and carry on being happy.

Mike Warren

In my experience, when I've had problems (punctures usually), fellow cyclists have always stopped to offer help. When I've seen others who seem to have problems I always stop and ask if they're OK. I've never had a rude response. Perhaps I've been lucky.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've normally ended up pushing my bike when I've had a puncture (as I've been near enough to the house and the ease of doing it indoors), so no one has offered help with that. But another time I stopped to blow my nose and a kind cyclist asked if I was OK.

Top Bottom