Help while on the road.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike Warren

I once stopped when I saw a cyclist pushing his bike along a track. Turns out I was the seventh person to offer help. He had massive damage to his rear tyre so there wasn't anything anyone could do and fortunately he wasn't far from home. He seemed quite impressed that so many cyclists had bothered to try and help.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
On my commute I have actually given one of my spare inner tubes to stranded roadside cyclists. It's amazing that some cyclists don't even carry basic kit, spares or even know how to repair a puncture. And I'm taking about experienced looking cycling commuters.
Of course when I did give them the tube I took their punctured one in exchange to patch up.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have helped other cyclists and been helped too, but also been ignored when help was required. The most annoying time was when I spotted a young boy with a broken mountain bike. His jockey wheels had just fallen out. I stopped to see if he was okay and he told me that he was about 3 miles from his parents. I found the parts scattered behind him but didn't have the right size allen key to put them back in. I tried to get help from 3 passing mountain bikers but they just swerved round us and carried on - ignorant buggers! :cursing:

Lol, It would never put me off assisting other people on or off the bike.
It was actually the CO2 pump that packed up so i had to use it in manual mode but was just not cutting it. I guess I will have to look for a decent CO2 pumps and perhaps pack the one i have and send it to Bontrager for them to keep. :gun:

I've stopped and leant a pump to people with failed CO2 inflators a few times. For everyday riding they seem to be more trouble than they're worth, I can get a 100psi in a tyre in about a minute with a Zefal HPX.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I've stopped and leant a pump to people with failed CO2 inflators a few times. For everyday riding they seem to be more trouble than they're worth, I can get a 100psi in a tyre in about a minute with a Zefal HPX.

More like people have bought them and don't know how to use them properly.

Nebulous

Guru
Don't expect too much of others and then you wont be disappointed!On the other hand appreciate any help you get.

I had a tale of two very helpful guys, which got moved to riders tales, where I don't think I was gracious enough in thanking them for their help.

A couple of days ago I had a puncture, changed to my spare tube and found it was burst as well. A couple of guys from a local club passed and shouted something which sounded like 'bad luck' but could have been consideraly ruder. I had just phoned my wife to collect me when a french guy stopped. He offered me a tube. 'I don't mind, it's no problem.' I declined on the basis I had just phoned for help. We then had a joke about Michelin tyres and how they shouldn't puncture, and he went on his way. My day felt considerably better as a result of those couple of minutes of random kindness from a total stranger.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Hello all.

Today i went out for a ride and on the way back i suffered a puncture on my rear wheel. Fortunately I had kit to fix the tyre, however, my pump half packed up. While working on the puncture, another cyclist passed by, looked at me and didn't even bother to ask if i needed any help which i found quite upsetting. Then again, I am a person of helpful nature and I am happy to lend a hand to anyone that may be in trouble.
Would you have been annoyed if you were in that situation and some fellow cyclist passed by and just totally ignored you or am i just being too dramatic? :ninja:

If I was riding past you, I would assume you have the kit and skills that you need, if you did a dafty and forgot something, or are two ham fisted to fix a puncture, the onus is on you, if you need help, ask, it works wonders!

If you had tried to flag him over or something and he just rode past, you may then have had a smidgeon of a point, but still not much, IMO.

Must say, in 27 years of cycling, have only called for assistance once, and not much you can do about an exploded rim.

Except keep an eye on your rim wear (say's he whose had two rims explode and had to call international rescue each time).

Sillyoldman

Veteran
Had my first puncture 28 miles into a 46 mile loop on Sunday. had a spare tube so got sorted. But I was heartened by the number of cyclists who enquired if I needed help. So if you were on that windy road near Toot Hill last Sunday and offered help a very big thanks.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I've had help from passing cyclists on two occasions, and I always offer if I see someone roadside. Having said that, some people are more outgoing than others, and this fella may have thought you were all sorted.

I'm sure he'd have stopped if you'd asked

OP
OP
Superdude

Superdude

Had my first puncture 28 miles into a 46 mile loop on Sunday. had a spare tube so got sorted. But I was heartened by the number of cyclists who enquired if I needed help. So if you were on that windy road near Toot Hill last Sunday and offered help a very big thanks.
Even if you don't need help and have everything you need at your disposal, it is always nice to at least be asked. If you are on the side of the road with a wheel in your hand I wouldn't just assume that you are just having a rest or that you have everything under control.

Top Bottom