Help while on the road.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Superdude

Hello all.

Today i went out for a ride and on the way back i suffered a puncture on my rear wheel. Fortunately I had kit to fix the tyre, however, my pump half packed up. While working on the puncture, another cyclist passed by, looked at me and didn't even bother to ask if i needed any help which i found quite upsetting. Then again, I am a person of helpful nature and I am happy to lend a hand to anyone that may be in trouble.
Would you have been annoyed if you were in that situation and some fellow cyclist passed by and just totally ignored you or am i just being too dramatic? :ninja:

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I would be annoyed but the other cyclists didnt have to stop, after all it doesnt have anything to do with them.

:welcome: to CC Superdude :thumbsup:

Sadly there are a lot of ignorant people about, even amongst cyclists believe or not, although others may argue the passing cyclist may have had to get home for an emergency him/herself perhaps ;)

I slow down to ask if a cyclist at the side of the road is OK, perhaps not if they are sat on a bench eating a banana, but definitely if they are clearly having a mechanical issue, ie: bike is upside down, wheel is off etc.

It's just one of those things you have to take on the chin. Don't let it put you off assisting others though, hopefully the ignorant ones will be assisted by someone else one day and then change their ways.

Glad you got sorted. If you don't already I'd recommend carrying a co2 pump for convenience, they get you back on the road far quicker :thumbsup:

Lance Jack

Über Member
I think we share a common bond but outside that people are all different (or odd). You can be in the queue at the Post Office and some people will talk and some people will blank you. Some people will hold a door open for you and some will not. Some will help when you trip and some will bypass you and not get involved. What I am trying to say is, we like to think we are a bit of a brotherhood/sisterhood because of what we do, we look after each other but sometimes people don't like to get involved. He may have looked at you and, as already said, thought you was ok (wouldn't of hurt to ask though). I like to think that people on here are more likely to stop and ask because when we are not riding we are on here discussing things about them.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I have both stopped or ridden by in the past. It depends if I'm really late and they look like they have it under control I'm less likely to stop or if I'm not carrying any tools or patches etc to help them. Often I will at least ask if they are OK. So far no one I have offered help to has actually taken me up on the offer other than for directions and the loan of a pump.

OP
OP
Superdude

Superdude

:welcome: to CC Superdude :thumbsup:

Sadly there are a lot of ignorant people about, even amongst cyclists believe or not, although others may argue the passing cyclist may have had to get home for an emergency him/herself perhaps ;)

I slow down to ask if a cyclist at the side of the road is OK, perhaps not if they are sat on a bench eating a banana, but definitely if they are clearly having a mechanical issue, ie: bike is upside down, wheel is off etc.

It's just one of those things you have to take on the chin. Don't let it put you off assisting others though, hopefully the ignorant ones will be assisted by someone else one day and then change their ways.

Glad you got sorted. If you don't already I'd recommend carrying a co2 pump for convenience, they get you back on the road far quicker :thumbsup:

Lol, It would never put me off assisting other people on or off the bike.
It was actually the CO2 pump that packed up so i had to use it in manual mode but was just not cutting it. I guess I will have to look for a decent CO2 pumps and perhaps pack the one i have and send it to Bontrager for them to keep. :gun:

I always ask any cyclist I see tackling their bike breakdowns, punctures etc. Once this fella was just happy to use my mobile for his wife to come and collect him after his front wheel collapsed.
I accept that others prefer not to ask it's human nature!

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Generally, I will ask any cyclist that is on their own with an "All right, mate?", or if there are a few but look to be struggling.

People in team kit that look like they know what they are doing are left to get on with it... After all, I need to get as much head start as I can for when they pass later!

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
No I wouldn't be annoyed if I was in that situation.
He may have looked at you and thought that you looked like you knew what you were doing
If the other way round and I saw a cyclists fettling, would always ask if everything OK.

That's what I've told myself once or twice anyhow ^_^
I would nearly always offer help to those who look like they are in need of it :angel:

Nearly there

Veteran
If I see someone has stopped and looking at their bike ill stop and ask if they are alright not that im the worlds best fettler, if however they have just pulled over for a breather drink etc ill just nod smile hi etc and keep on riding,If I was in need of help Id ask in case they just rode past which is rare round here.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Out of curiosity do you know what is going on in the other cyclists life at that time.
I'm generally a nice considerate guy and would usually stop an offer help, however should I have previously received a phone call saying I had problems at home or a family member was hurt, then I would cycle past you as you being honest you come lower in my priority.
He may have had something which he considered to be vastly more important, than stopping.

Top Bottom