Help while on the road.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ron-da-Valli

It's a bleedin' miracle!
I always slow down and ask if they need help. Only once was my offer taken up. A lady on a shopper had got her chain jammed between the chainset and bottom bracket. It only took me a minute or two and she was on her way. As my gran used to say " it's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice."

lulubel

Über Member
I would always slow down/stop and offer help, but I wouldn't be offended if someone didn't offer me help. I haven't had a problem - yet - that I haven't been able to solve myself because I try to be self-sufficient when I go out on my bike (we don't have a car, so I can't call my OH to rescue me), but I've come across quite a few people who didn't even have what they needed to fix a puncture.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
but I've come across quite a few people who didn't even have what they needed to fix a puncture.
Depends on how far I'm going - if it is only a mile or so then it's not a problem whereas if it is further then I would check what I was carrying before setting off.

Crankarm

Guru
Hello all.

Today i went out for a ride and on the way back i suffered a puncture on my rear wheel. Fortunately I had kit to fix the tyre, however, my pump half packed up. While working on the puncture, another cyclist passed by, looked at me and didn't even bother to ask if i needed any help which i found quite upsetting. Then again, I am a person of helpful nature and I am happy to lend a hand to anyone that may be in trouble.
Would you have been annoyed if you were in that situation and some fellow cyclist passed by and just totally ignored you or am i just being too dramatic? :ninja:

They probaby had a quick look, saw you weren't wearing Rapha and rode on.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I just slow down and ask "are you ok , do you have everything you need?" I asked this of a guy fixing a puncture by the Severn Bridge path recently.Guy replied he was ok but thanked me more being only cyclist out of many that bothered to ask.

Rob500

Regarding the OP. There's no point getting upset at the cyclist who rode by. They may have had other things on their mind or perhaps were not confident enough in their own abilities to offer help.

I have listed this before

I had a rare p*nct*re on the trike

A rather svelte young lady roadie stopped and offered to help, then chatted as I proceeded to refit the Marathon plus

Everything went swimmingly and we had a nice chat ... she then pointed out that you can fit tyres without a lever

Before I could say marathon plus, she totally ruined the experience with the ego deflating.....

"But I suppose at your age it must be difficult with arthritis"

I am only 55 not a geriatric yet!

Crankarm

Guru
I have listed this before

I had a rare p*nct*re on the trike

A rather svelte young lady roadie stopped and offered to help, then chatted as I proceeded to refit the Marathon plus

Everything went swimmingly and we had a nice chat ... she then pointed out that you can fit tyres without a lever

Before I could say marathon plus, she totally ruined the experience with the ego deflating.....

"But I suppose at your age it must be difficult with arthritis"

I am only 55 not a geriatric yet!

Perhaps at this point she wasn't refering to fitting tyres without a lever? Maybe she had had:smooch:on her mind?

Mallory

I always slow down and ask if they are okay.

Once i had a puncture around 20 miles from home in the middle of know where in the pissing rain. I was comfortable fixing the puncture but the only cyclist who passed me a MTB just rode straight past, but i did look like i had it under control.

My main gripe is motorists!!! Back in the Autumn i had a crash on a country road. I was sprawled over the road and even when limping back onto the pavement NOT 1 driver asked if i was okay :angry:

Licramite

Über Member
I wouldn't be to hard - I've been in that situation , bike by side of road obviously stuck and me out for a short ride and forgot to take my puncture kit/pump - what can you do ?
I have helped a cyclist in the past when he needed help, but if can't help you can't help.

More seriously....

There was an article a few years ago about how lone females could feel threatened by being approached.

The suggestion was that approaching on the bike, and remaining on the bike was less threatening and therefore more appropriate.

My routine has always been to approach to a few feet on the trike and ask if the person has all they need or if they need to use a pone to contact someone. Then see how things progress

The point about cars is also interesting. A couple of weeks ago there was a car stuck on the junction at Cams Hall. The motorist attitude was to sound horns and swear / shout obscenities at the middle aged lady.

It was three cyclists who stopped, pushed the vehicle off the road and arranged for help

Top Bottom