Help with tyres sizes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

atsgmo

Hi, I have inherited this bike for my 14 year old son and as part of the clean up I need to replace the tyres and inner tubes. But I am not sure which ones would be best to buy and which inner tube sizes I require. Can someone please advise what the best ones to buy would be. Not looking to spend a fortune as he is only going to be riding it for fun but obviously want a decent brand.

Attachments

• tyre 2.jpg
    tyre 2.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 8
  • tyre.jpg
    tyre.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 7
  • bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    347.7 KB · Views: 7

sleuthey

Legendary Member
The 2nd picture provides you with the ETRO and french tyre sizes which is what you need to buy both tubes and tyres. Kenda and Schwalbe represent good value if your on a budget

OP
OP
A

atsgmo

Thank you. For a novice like me is there a conversion chart I can look at to get the right sizes

13 rider

Guru
The most common measurements used are the 700*25 , 700 is the wheel diameter ,25 us the tyre width . Inner tubes comes in 700 then a band of widths say 20 _ 25 so you want a tyre 700 and a band width which 25 falls in . I use Halfords own brand tubes . The other thing to consider is valve type . Do you now the difference between presta and schrader ? Get the one your pump fits . Tyre wise as a brand I recommend continental

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You need to buy a 700c X 25 tyre. 700 is the wheel size and 25 is the width.
Kenda is a budget brand but if you spend more with the likes of Schwalbe or Continental you'll get better puncture resistance.
If your boy is going to use it in the rain those steel rims won't slow the bike much when the brakes are applied. I believe Salmon Coolstops are more effective.

OP
OP
A

atsgmo

Regarding brakes, he won't be riding this in the rain so would these be ok to buy? https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BSJOB55AAS/jobsworth-55mm-angle-adjustable-road-brake-shoes-shimano
(the dirt will be cleaned off over the next couple of weeks - this restoration is a nice project to do while we're all stuck at home!)

Attachments

• rear brakes.jpg
    rear brakes.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 6
  • front brakes.jpg
    front brakes.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 6

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The calipers should be fine if cleaned and fitted with new pads. More importantly the cable inners and outers should be changed and inners smeared with grease.
There is a special tool you might need for Weinmann brakes to centre the calipers which fit in that round black housing.

netman

Veteran
Regarding brakes, he won't be riding this in the rain so would these be ok to buy? https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BSJOB55AAS/jobsworth-55mm-angle-adjustable-road-brake-shoes-shimano
(the dirt will be cleaned off over the next couple of weeks - this restoration is a nice project to do while we're all stuck at home!)

If you're keeping the original brakes, you may need deeper section brake blocks - like these https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BSJOBRBS/jobsworth-racing-brake-blocks... the ones you linked are more suited for more modern dual pivot brakes where the arms are closer to the rims.

netman

Veteran
sorry - one other question while you are all being so helpful. Looking at those pictures would you recommend buying new brake calipers, and if so which ones? (something like this? https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BCTK539/tektro-r539-long-drop-road-brake-caliper-(47-59mm))
Or are the original ones structurally fine and just need to change the brake pads? Thank you all

You'd certainly see a big improvement in braking with the Tektro r539, but you'd have to measure the drop to make sure they'd be the right length for the pads to reach the rims (they also do extra long drop R369). Also, you may have to drill the fork and rear brake bridge to take the allen bolt fixing for the new brakes - not really hard to do, but worth knowing in advance - sometimes you can get away without drilling the front, and using a second front brake on the rear with a nut instead of the allen bolt.
If you haven't found it yet, Sheldon Brown's site is a mine of information (picture links to it)
1587377485573.png

netman

Veteran
Regarding brakes, he won't be riding this in the rain...

TBH, the first thing would be to to clean the brakes up and try them out - they look in fairly good shape to me and may be usable as they are, at least to start with - as long as the blocks aren't too dried up and solid...

Top Bottom