hemorrhoids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5120480, member: 9609"]I was first made aware of the 'three steps' suggestion from BBC news at xmas, and it was very much 'google it' with a proviso of 'reputable source' - I was very surprised by the suggestion too.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-42511553

Personally I think it would be very unwise to take any advice off the internet as gospel, esp medical advice. Medical issues can be highly complex and getting clinical advice from experts with years of experience is an absolute must, even NHS choices is no substitute from speaking to a doctor.. But for me, I would like to learn as much as I could before my appointment so as to make the most out of my consolation, I see no harm in listening to other peoples experiences as long as you take it with a pinch of salt.[/QUOTE]

I've had a chest problem that has refused to resolve since mid-September - multiple antibiotics and a range of tests including CT scan. The medics were stumped but has recently been much relieved by anti-inflammatories.

Googling my symptoms (persistent cough, 8kg weight loss in 6 weeks, zero appetite, drenching night sweats, shivering chills, fever, fatigue, shortness of breath on minimal exercise) could easily have led me to panic over TB, lung cancer or mesothelioma - all consistent with my pattern of symptoms as informed by the internet. I asked my main consultant the direct question "Cancer?" - and was given a sound explanation why the pattern and ordering of the symptoms combined with the host of blood and other test results said 95% no, and infection/inflammation were far more likely.

I'm a highly educated scientist and pretty rational about such things and seeking evidence before conclusions, but could easily see how someone else could have been driven to wild panic by the possibilities revealed by Google.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Dr Google is featuring in a programme on ITV at 7.30!

And for @Milzy

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/piles-haemorrhoids/
Hi it’s gone jet black so thrombosed external hemorrhoid. Yep blood clot. Hope it reabsorbes.

vickster

Legendary Member
GP surgeries of any size generally have early morning or evening appointments

I'm sure your clients will understand if you have to take an hour out

You could talk to a pharmacist in the first instance of course too. Supermarkets have long pharmacy opening hours

Slick

Guru
I've had a chest problem that has refused to resolve since mid-September - multiple antibiotics and a range of tests including CT scan. The medics were stumped but has recently been much relieved by anti-inflammatories.

Googling my symptoms (persistent cough, 8kg weight loss in 6 weeks, zero appetite, drenching night sweats, shivering chills, fever, fatigue, shortness of breath on minimal exercise) could easily have led me to panic over TB, lung cancer or mesothelioma - all consistent with my pattern of symptoms as informed by the internet. I asked my main consultant the direct question "Cancer?" - and was given a sound explanation why the pattern and ordering of the symptoms combined with the host of blood and other test results said 95% no, and infection/inflammation were far more likely.

I'm a highly educated scientist and pretty rational about such things and seeking evidence before conclusions, but could easily see how someone else could have been driven to wild panic by the possibilities revealed by Google.
I had a similar experience but without the scientific background or the education. To be honest, I didn't need Google to put me in a bit of a panic.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
You won’t be much good to your clients weeping blood from your anus. Get a GP appointment and look after yourself first.
As an aside, you remind me of a boy I knew at school. He was “that lad” who was brilliant at everything. Excelled in his studies. Played guitar like Hendrix. Cool. Handsome. First to get a girlfriend. A beautiful girlfriend. Fantastically fast rugby winger, the pick of the crop; played for the County. And at cricket too. Even his hair was cool.
Went off to study medicine, probably while playing Electric Ladyland up the wing with his four beautiful children under one incredibly muscled arm.
He is now The Man To Go To if you have piles, Northern piles. Mister proctology. A client who’s a consultant at his hospital tells me his piles knowledge - and all the other anal info he’s retained - has made him a very dull chap.
Is the moral that being really brilliant doesn’t get you far? I don’t know, and it doesn’t help you, but hey! at least I didn’t hijack the thread with bum puns

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I am still reeling from the thought of Posties team coming at him from behind with Postie giving a grimacing stare at the wall but its ok he cannot see them! Screenman carefully applying a magic potion for Nappy Rash!

I even Googled it, and the second result was CC when I clicked on it, it was like a the twilight Zone https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/piles.190908/

GWS @Milzy and get in the GP soon if I were you, and avoid Google images.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi.
I suffered badly from piles a few years back. They were bleeding that bad I was running to loo every hour to find i was just passing blood. Sorry to sound to graphic but they can really have an impact on your life if left untreated. The more I was running to the loo the worse I was making them. The only way I could ease the symptoms was to eat plenty of easily digestible foods and drink lots of lactulose to soften my stools when passing them. Eventually everything settled back down again.
On a lighter note, my ex had read in some magazine that an ice cube should be placed on external piles to shrink them. There was no way on this planet I was going to do this but all night long, she went on and on and on for me to try it. In the end, to just get some peace and quiet I tried it. An ice cube between your cheeks resting on the said pile!!.
Please don't try this ,as when I did ,I almost stuck to the ceiling with pain.
She found it it funny though whilst I was screaming in agony:-) :-)

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Hi.
I suffered badly from piles a few years back. They were bleeding that bad I was running to loo every hour to find i was just passing blood. Sorry to sound to graphic but they can really have an impact on your life if left untreated. The more I was running to the loo the worse I was making them. The only way I could ease the symptoms was to eat plenty of easily digestible foods and drink lots of lactulose to soften my stools when passing them. Eventually everything settled back down again.
On a lighter note, my ex had read in some magazine that an ice cube should be placed on external piles to shrink them. There was no way on this planet I was going to do this but all night long, she went on and on and on for me to try it. In the end, to just get some peace and quiet I tried it. An ice cube between your cheeks resting on the said pile!!.
Please don't try this ,as when I did ,I almost stuck to the ceiling with pain.
She found it it funny though whilst I was screaming in agony:-) :-)
I still may try, I’ve got a high pain threshold. I’m like the cowboy from Inner space.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
A consultant once told me that about 80% of the population would admit to suffering from piles and that most of the other 20% were liars. A GP with experience also told me that the first visit to the loo after surgery was like passing a red hot cannonball wrapped in barbed wire. I had surgery in the mid 1980’s and can confirm that she was correct in her description. Not like some medics who say “ just a little scratch” when what they really mean is “ this is going to really hurt “. I did contemplate a recumbent for a while but eventually things settled down and I could use a normal saddle again.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
You won’t be much good to your clients weeping blood from your anus. Get a GP appointment and look after yourself first.
As an aside, you remind me of a boy I knew at school. He was “that lad” who was brilliant at everything. Excelled in his studies. Played guitar like Hendrix. Cool. Handsome. First to get a girlfriend. A beautiful girlfriend. Fantastically fast rugby winger, the pick of the crop; played for the County. And at cricket too. Even his hair was cool.
Went off to study medicine, probably while playing Electric Ladyland up the wing with his four beautiful children under one incredibly muscled arm.
He is now The Man To Go To if you have piles, Northern piles. Mister proctology. A client who’s a consultant at his hospital tells me his piles knowledge - and all the other anal info he’s retained - has made him a very dull chap.
Is the moral that being really brilliant doesn’t get you far? I don’t know, and it doesn’t help you, but hey! at least I didn’t hijack the thread with bum puns

I think I have seen the sign for his clinic !

Whenever I have been troubled with Chalfonts, as they are called in my family, a switch to All-Bran for breakfast a couple of weeks has been beneficial. Since upping my cycling things have stayed firmly "indoors" which is where they belong.

Bon courage a tous !
Haemarroid clinic.jpg

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
I think I have seen the sign for his clinic !

Whenever I have been troubled with Chalfonts, as they are called in my family, a switch to All-Bran for breakfast a couple of weeks has been beneficial. Since upping my cycling things have stayed firmly "indoors" which is where they belong.

Bon courage a tous !
View attachment 392182
What upsets me is I always have all bran and fruit/veg but this still happened. In fact I haven’t had a hard poop since 1998. I never strain etc. I’m putting it down to cold weather cycling.

Top Bottom