Hershey block uk chocs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Chocolate
For those of you artisans out there.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
[QUOTE 3520276, member: 45"]The reality of the situation is that you can't import genuine Cadbury chocolate, because Hersheys sell a different product in the same wrapper. So Americans can't buy proper Cadbury chocolate through the normal channels. That's why it's not simple.

If it was the same product it would be simple. Hersheys are worried that it proper Cadbury chocolate was available then people would choose that instead and then sales of their different product would drop.[/QUOTE]

We may have different conceptions of the word simple. As I understand it, Hersheys have the rights to the Cadbury product (however constituted) in the US, Cadbury UK & the importers don't, and as you point out, cannibalise Hersheys' market.

If the Hershey "Cadbury" tastes like the standard Hershey product, that stinks, but there you go.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Typical anally-retentive US executive response. Some nobber in Hersheys thought small firms importing Uk choccy were a threat and thus had to be 'neutralised'. Why don't these people see that their version is cr*p and thus import & sell the UK version. No need for a court case.

Globalti

Legendary Member
think that explains a lot about the good old USA wasteline.
they do eat a shocking amount of junk

Not just junk food... my younger brother lives in Michigan and must be double my weight - he blames his massive frame on the growth hormones in the chicken and beef.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
[QUOTE 3520625, member: 45"]That side of it is simple. What complicates the issue is that we're talking about two different products in the same packaging, and a removal of choice.[/QUOTE]

it's all part of the Amrican Dream, long live free trade

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
[QUOTE 3520625, member: 45"]That side of it is simple.[/quote]
Yup. I think we are, perhaps, having two different arguments.

What complicates the issue is that we're talking about two different products in the same packaging, and a removal of choice.
It's a shame, but I'm not sure quite what the importers and customers expect to happen.

Hershey has to protect the rights & trademarks it owns, and its market, as that's the duty it has to its shareholders in law, surely?

it's all part of the Amrican Dream, long live free trade

Again, yes; a market in which anyone can use trademarks and distribution rights you own isn't going to work properly, and would not be "free" except in the most extreme sense. Large companies would use the trademarks of small companies with impunity, and destroy their markets.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
[QUOTE 3520137, member: 45"]It would be reasonably simple if it was the same product that Hersheys have blocked. As it is, my Brummie mate in Florida has to rely on his mom paying silly shipping prices to get him his fix of DM.[/QUOTE]
cut his mother out of the loop and send him here... http://www.britsuperstore.com/acatalog/Cadbury_Dairy_Milk.html ...he can order some proper tea bags whilst he's at it too :smile:

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
Cant find the page at the mo but I read its not Hersheys blocking it, its Cadburys. As part of the deal when Cadburys sold the roghts they agreed not to sell their products in the US. They agreed to remove the choice so if you want to blame someone you can blame them.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Cant find the page at the mo but I read its not Hersheys blocking it, its Cadburys. As part of the deal when Cadburys sold the roghts they agreed not to sell their products in the US. They agreed to remove the choice so if you want to blame someone you can blame them.

Why hasn't anyone suggested blocking Hersheys' sales in the UK? Not as a retaliatory action but as a crime against humanity action.

Top Bottom