HGVs and cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
But what you are suggesting is nonsense. Lorry drivers use the same roads as you to get to work. Do you think they all drive their lorries home and park them in front of their houses. You have no idea how many lorry drivers ride to work or use a bike on a regular basis. Places I worked at when I was driving were full of bikes. They rode to work on the same roads and the same traffic conditions as you. If you are basing a discussion on the fact that lorry drivers don't know what it's like to ride a bike on a road like you do, I would have a rethink, because a lot of them do.
So you're suggesting that lots and lots of lorry drivers ride bikes? I'm beginning to see some flaws in your argument here.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Maybe if they did, they would allow greater space when passing us and think if they need to pass us just to turn left?

But some do. Is there some myth in here that lorry drivers don't ride bikes or do people just refuse to accept that?

It seems you also have the idea that lorry drivers do not ride bikes on the same roads as yourself. Or maybe they wear a vis vest that reads "Lorry driver, keep clear" and of course all the lorry drivers see it and keep clear.
Of course some do. SOme also drive safely and courteously. However when over 70% are taken off the road in a police crackdown, it is clear that the % of who is the small minority. This needs to be addressed. And given the danger they pose, with urgency and rigor.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Dan, your being pedantic about the big, heavy vehicles. You know what we are talking about.
We're talking about vehicles that account for 5% of all traffic in London yet are involved in half of all cyclist deaths, and whose operators find it necessary to paste warning stickers all over them saying "do not approach this vehicle". To maintain that they're perfectly safe provided that you don't go near them is pretty much equivalent to saying that hungry killer whales are perfectly safe provided that you don't get in the water.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
So you're suggesting that lots and lots of lorry drivers ride bikes? I'm beginning to see some flaws in your argument here.

I used to work for sainsburys at their distribution depot at Haydock. Lots of the drivers came to work by bike. The bike sheds were packed. This was a regular thing at a lot of the depots, the same for tescos. I've known quite a few long distance drivers, including myself, take their bikes on trips with them. That is just my experience. You may have more experience than me about lorry drivers and bikes. But my hunch is that you have no idea and are just guessing. How can you possibly know how many truck drivers ride bikes.

I'm not all for truck drivers but I am against total drivel if its being used to put a case across.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
We're talking about vehicles that account for 5% of all traffic in London yet are involved in half of all cyclist deaths, and whose operators find it necessary to paste warning stickers all over them saying "do not approach this vehicle". To maintain that they're perfectly safe provided that you don't go near them is pretty much equivalent to saying that hungry killer whales are perfectly safe provided that you don't get in the water.

I've never seen stats about fatalities in London but would be interested to see what percentage is attributed to the lorry drivers themselves.

But surely hungry killer whales are safe if you don't get in the water with them.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
My 2p worth. I would rather be alive and lose a couple of seconds by not filtering up the left alongside an HGV, than be under his wheels and dead. I count myself as one of the riskier riders on the road in traffic, I will filter and probably do it too quickly, but I won't try and pass any vehicle on the left at a set of lights or a give way. This is the same as if I were driving, I would use my brakes if an oncoming vehicle was overtaking another and I thought they were not going to make it in time. It is just simple self preservation.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
My 2p worth. I would rather be alive and lose a couple of seconds by not filtering up the left alongside an HGV, than be under his wheels and dead. I count myself as one of the riskier riders on the road in traffic, I will filter and probably do it too quickly, but I won't try and pass any vehicle on the left at a set of lights or a give way. This is the same as if I were driving, I would use my brakes if an oncoming vehicle was overtaking another and I thought they were not going to make it in time. It is just simple self preservation.

And that is my point exactly. Look after yourselves and don't depend on other people to do it for you.

Dan B

Disengaged member
But surely hungry killer whales are safe if you don't get in the water with them.
And bare mains electrical wires poking out of your house walls are safe ... if you don't touch them.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
But some do. Is there some myth in here that lorry drivers don't ride bikes or do people just refuse to accept that?
Of course some lorry drivers ride bikes just as some drivers, but I suspect less than half are regular cyclists. For me it's not about whether they are cyclists or not, its about the fact that they drive vehicles with enormous blind spots, and that certain sectors are paid by the load. Of course there are good lorry drivers but surely they would like cabs that were designed to see better around them.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Of course some lorry drivers ride bikes just as some drivers, but I suspect less than half are regular cyclists. For me it's not about whether they are cyclists or not, its about the fact that they drive vehicles with enormous blind spots, and that certain sectors are paid by the load. Of course there are good lorry drivers but surely they would like cabs that were designed to see better around them.

Those cabs and add ons are already developed and are being put in place by some companies. It is up to the government to have the guts to force all trucks to have them.

Lonestar

Veteran
I've been in the cab of one recently.I took the effort when riding home from work and plod had one set up at Stratford a few months back.Even did an interview but I dread to think what that was like.This was all after a days work so I couldn't have been in that much of a hurry to get home without looking around a lorry and seeing the blind spots of which I could appreciate anyway.

And that is my point exactly. Look after yourselves and don't depend on other people to do it for you.
I never undertake lorries. I find myself on their left often due to their drivibg. I minimise by holding primary. Many cyclists are less assertve. Do not assume being on the left is the cyclust' fault. I'd bet my wife's car it is mainly because of the lorry.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Places I worked at when I was driving were full of bikes. They rode to work on the same roads and the same traffic conditions as you. If you are basing a discussion on the fact that lorry drivers don't know what it's like to ride a bike on a road like you do, I would have a rethink, because a lot of them do.

That may well be true but there are enough of them out there who don't to make it a lottery whether you encounter a safe one. Leaving aside an individual's ability to drive one of them with consideration for others, they are simply dangerous by design. Like you, I keep my distance from them where possible but sometimes I'm not given the choice and that's when I find it unreasonable to be part of a lottery that is so heavily stacked against me.

GC

Top Bottom