Hi Everyone from Norbury London 👋

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike7Wolf

Hi, l bought a Carrera Cross City ebike 3 and a half years ago! I only used it for about a year altogether, as I was dealing with the after effects of a completely mental health break down! Having felt much better these day's l decided to venture out on my bike, especially as there is a nice park nearby! Also there are some nice back roads, to get used to riding again! So I tried to charge my bike battery in situ, when low and behold it wouldn't charge the light on the charger adapter remained on green, even though Ieft it on charge overnight twice! I checked it's the correct charger the original one that came with the bike!! My question is how can the battery be dead after so little use, when previously it use to charge up fully using the correct amount of charging time? To exasbarate matters I have lost the 2 battery unlock keys! I am flabbergasted, I saw Halford's selling the very same bike in excess of a thousand pounds!!! I bought mine from the very apt named Cycle Republic Cycle shop for £799 brand new! With a£100 discount original price being £899! My friends there were Par Exellence! The blasted new Owner of Halford's dispensed with Cycle Republic forthwith! Anyway Fellow good people can you advise me on what I should do regarding my battery and key loss! It's an Honour to meet you All! Take Good Care of Yourselves and Each Other Mike.
May You Always Walk in Peace 😊✌️🙏🙏🙏

We have one of those bikes - work well

But all ebikes - at least modern ones - use Lithium batteries and they have a massive problem if the charge levelk gets too low
The actual chemistry changes and they cannot be charged any more.
Normally the Battery Management system protects against this when the bike is being used - but if it is left for a long time then it gradually looses a bit of charge and can end up below the minimum charge level for it to recharge.

If this has happened the the only solution is to replace the cells in the battery - or replace the battery but good luck with that!!

There are several places in the UK (I don;t know where you live though!) that can do it. I have used a place twice but I believe they are winding down now
But there are several others - hopefully someone will come along with some recommendations!

BTW - I did exactly the same thing last year - over the winter I didn;t get round to riding the Cross-City-e and just rode my 'big bike' and forgot to keep the battery charged
By the summer the battery was unusable and it had to be recelled
Also - if you get it done check that they use good quality cells - and ask about increasing the capacity while you are at it!
I think the original cells were a bit cheap and rubbish - which is why they discharge easily!

Top Bottom