Hi-Fi question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
The price range is outta my league!

Just had a look at the cost of the decks on the website...... could get a decent s/h car for their asking prices.

Hope you find someone to help.

OP
OP
Chromatic

Chromatic

Legendary Member
I take your point, one can spend silly money on hi-fi if one wants. I bought my decks second hand so did save a bit and they are not those on that site.

Where's Mr Pig. Is he not the audiophile ici?

I think it would be sensible to buy the most expensive you can(t) afford. It will always be a talking point and you could practice recussitation skills after you divulge the price! ;)

Mr Pig

It's a bit like saying "should I fit a new engine in my car?" without saying what kind of car it is!

Motor and PSU upgrades can make a big difference but can also change the character of the deck quite a lot and is often swings and roundabouts. You may get more detail and loose swing.

What record player is it and what's the rest of the system?

OP
OP
Chromatic

Chromatic

Legendary Member
It's a Linn Sondek, Ekos arm and Troika cartridge, Audiolab amp and Kef Caprice speakers. To be honest the amp and speakers aren't the same quality as the deck, the speakers are about 30 yrs old for a start. I've been thinking about a Lingo but that was before the motor broke, going down that route now would be expensive as I would need a new motor as well as the Lingo.
I've got a Pink Triangle Export packed away, the cheapest option would be to get that out and use that but it is not as user friendly as the Linn and it needs a bit of TLC too.

Mr Pig

You've already got a cracking deck, you could just replace the motor? The other thing you really want to do to an LP12 is sit it on Mana, it's astonishing and literally made for the deck.

The Origin Live DC mods have been around for a long time and get mixed revues. Like I say, these things change the deck a lot. You can replace just about every single part on an LP12 with an 'upgraded' or alternative part but then you've got to ask yourself if it's still an LP12? What is it you want, better or different?

One set of mods I have heard good things about are the Funk Firm ones. The outfit is run by the people behind PT so you get the same flakey attitude, sometimes flakey build quality, but some genuinely original and effective thinking. I know one guy who's opinion I trust very well who's really happy with the Funk mods he's done on his LP12.

Having said that, I've got a Funk Firm platter mat here and it's behind the settee because I didn't get on with it! What can you say ;0)

OP
OP
Chromatic

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Yes, the deck is a good one. I could just replace the motor but would really like to have the option of 45 rpm too, which is why I was thinking about the Lingo.
You are right about the number of 'upgrades' and alternatives out there for these decks, one could just keep on at it.
I have no idea how much difference using the Origin Live DC motor would make, and even If I could discern the difference if there was one. These things are very subjective anyway.
I suppose what I could do is try the Origin Live unit, If I find it has changed things detrimentally then I could always sell it on and try something else. I doubt that personally I will be discerning enough to notice much difference.

As with most things like this you pays your money and you takes your chance.

Mr Pig

I'm sure you would notice the difference, I assume you bought the deck you have because it sounded better than a Planer3? ;0)

The alternative would be to get a new AC motor and external PSU. You can buy the motors new, can't remember the name of the company who sell them but I can find it. You need to swap the pulley over and fit it but that shouldn't be too hard.

One of the best LP12 supplies is the Norton Air Power and thankfully it's also fairly simple so you can build one yourself! The parts will cost about £80, depending on where you can get them, and I can give you a circuit diagram and instructions.

Doesn't the PT Export have an AC synchronous motor like the LP12? It might be the same one, they used it in a few decks, and you could pinch that. Alternatively you could sell the LP12, even as parts, and use the cash to let the Funk Firm invigorate the Pink.

It's all personal obviously but I don't like the Lingo. In my opinion Linn went down the wrong road round about then and started 'fixing' all the things that made the LP12 what it was. I had a Cirkus in one of my LP12s for about five years before I took it out and sold it, technically better, musically wrong.

I have a push-on adapter for 45 but hardly ever use it. Unless you've got pile of 12" singles there's little point as 7" singles sound totally crap! There's no way I'd buy a PSU just because it can play 45s, especially when the PSU in question is really expensive and not the best sounding in the world, and I can build a better one for £80!! ;0)

I keep thinking of selling my second LP12 and it just sits there gathering dust, might even sell it as parts. Would love to get another Audio Technica AT OC9, I loved that cartridge, preferred it to the Troika.

beancounter

Chromatic said:
I've got a Pink Triangle Export packed away, the cheapest option would be to get that out and use that but it is not as user friendly as the Linn and it needs a bit of TLC too.

I used to have a PT Too with Alphason HR100S arm (titanium!) and Ortofon cartridge. A great deck and I much preferred it to the Linn.

bc

OP
OP
Chromatic

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Thanks for the input Mr Pig. I hadn't considered the obvious and checking whether the motor on the PT was the same and using that, and I will look into your other suggestion about the Norton Air Power.

BC, I liked my PT as well, and I think it looks much better than the Linn but I found it more of a pain to use. This may be because it needs a bloody good service and invigorating as Mr pig put it.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
beancounter said:
I used to have a PT Too with Alphason HR100S arm (titanium!) and Ortofon cartridge. A great deck and I much preferred it to the Linn.

bc

Ooooh a PT/Linn debate, the Hi-Fi equivalent of Campagnolo or Shimano! PT preferred here, but as I still campaign a Thorens TD160 I wouldn't mind either!

The Alphason was a beautiful looking arm.
I even had a Hadcock unipivot, that was a weird thing, good but finicky.

BearPear

Veteran
Hi guys (and I know you are guys!) I am just going to stir a little here.

Mr BP is a bit of an audiophile, he too has a Sondek but with Naim amp, pre-amp, power supply and CD player (don't ask which models). He keeps suggesting that we should up-grade some part or other, but I think that you get to a point where you have the best setup for the accoustics of your room, and spending any more money is a waste. In my opinion when you get to that level it is a case of the Emperors New Clothes - you daren't say to the demo guy that there really is no discernable difference for fear of losing face!

Just my humble, female, opinion.

As you were.

beancounter

Fab Foodie said:
The Alphason was a beautiful looking arm..

Indeed it was and it sounded absolutely exquisite on the PT. I used to run it through DNM amplifiers (which I still have) and the sound was, to my ears, just wonderful.

bc

Watt-O

Watt-o posing in Athens
Fab Foodie said:
Ooooh a PT/Linn debate, the Hi-Fi equivalent of Campagnolo or Shimano! PT preferred here, but as I still campaign a Thorens TD160 I wouldn't mind either!

The Alphason was a beautiful looking arm.
I even had a Hadcock unipivot, that was a weird thing, good but finicky.

I have an original PT upgraded at the factory (Camberwell) to a PT2 (an outboard power supply and new chassis bits) with an RB300 arm a moving coil cartridge from Audio Technica! Shame it's al boxed (original Sidcup packaging) in the grage with all my Exposure kit as I do not have enough space to set it up in the new place. I miss my viny!

IMHO PT & Exposure much warmer and less clinical than a Linn/Naim setup!

I also a TD150 once before the then girlfriend threw it down the stairs after a particularly nasty argument. Great turntable for the money, but unable to withstand that kind of treatment!

Top Bottom