Hi honey, I'm home..... Skolly returns.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
When I had cracked ribs and could not lie flat I did something similar with every pillow and cushion in the house.
I have gone for the heap of pillows and cushions option. Spent an hour or two in bed this morning before I got up and was a lot more comfortable when sat up :okay:
Get well soon and can you get Mrs Skol to post a photo of you in your new cycling neck brace :laugh:
This is probably my picture of the year or maybe of my life! Everybody was just over the moon when they arrived at hospital and I jumped (figuratively speaking) out of bed to don a shirt and STAND with my boys to have a picture taken.

upload_2018-3-2_12-23-37.png

Big daft lad took the opportunity to stand on his tip toes and take advantage of dads weakness to be taller for once! :laugh:

Fortunately through all this we have found lots that we can still laugh about, others on the same ward and unit haven't been so lucky :sad:

My boys are so happy to still have a dad to do all the dad things with and Mrs Skol keeps crying because it was such a close shave and she thinks she nearly lost me. The hospital staff managed to put the fear of god into her at one point quite accidentally. I'm sure and with hindsight they could have handled it better.
On the morning before my discharge I completed some cognitive awareness tests. Lots of questions and memory tests and number/picture puzzles etc. They asked me the date, I knew this one as it was the 1st so blurted out 1st of Feb. She asked me the month again and I confidently stated, as I have just told you, it's February! She then corrected me, it is 1st MARCH. I was just like Duh! :rolleyes:
She then asked me what season it was. It was -5 outside, snow was blowing past the window, staff were struggling to get to work and it's the start of the year, It's winter obviously. She then corrected me again, No apparently Spring starts on 1st of March officially so it is spring.
She then rang up Mrs Skol to discuss the results. Mrs Skol was informed I had been tested and done OK but had failed on a few things, how had she found me to be acting herself? My wife was now unsure and said I seemed ok but what had I got wrong. When she was informed I didn't know what month it was or what the season was she began to panic and thought maybe I had suffered brain damage after all. When the young girl explained in more detail what I had actually said, Mrs Skol thought the same as me, it was splitting hairs and even someone that hadn't had a bump to the head would make the same mistakes....
Poor girl must have only been about 21, probably doesn't even know what a cheque book is, and certainly hasn't found herself writing cheques with last years date on when it is nearly Easter (which is about the time Spring starts isn't it?).

Like I said, we have lots to laugh about, luckily.

glad you can all laugh about it now, I had the same collar, have they said anything about being able to remove it, I wasn't allowed to remove it even to shower and had 2 district nurses coming everyday, I had to lay on bed while one held my head second one removed one side of collar cleaned collar and neck , roll over and same on other side, whereas @Pumpkin the robot had a worse break and was allowed to remove his to shower etc

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
My fractured skull was OK after a few weeks but I did suffer with dizzy spells and up and down blood pressure on occasion for about twelve months. I was told that this was to be expected and it would resolve. We're all different but be prepared just in case.
Yep, get a few dizzy seconds when I sit up in bed or lie down again. This will be due to the minor bleed inside my skull fracture and my right ear has some fluid, bleeding in the inner ear so that will also be affecting my orientation. Also a large bump to the right temple which hurts when I chew. Still a way to go before I am driving or back on my bike.

DVLA will have to be informed about the head injury so they may restrict my driving licence for a while but I don't expect them to be any more stringent than I will be myself.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
glad you can all laugh about it now, I had the same collar, have they said anything about being able to remove it, I wasn't allowed to remove it even to shower and had 2 district nurses coming everyday, I had to lay on bed while one held my head second one removed one side of collar cleaned collar and neck , roll over and same on other side, whereas @Pumpkin the robot had a worse break and was allowed to remove his to shower etc
Keep it on at all times including shower but have spare pads so can carefully sit still and straight while an assistant swaps the pads over then helps refit it. Wife nearly passed out in fear when I removed it last night, I think she expected my head to bounce across the floor! :laugh:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Good to see your sense of humour hasn't been affected.:okay:

Slick

Guru
I have gone for the heap of pillows and cushions option. Spent an hour or two in bed this morning before I got up and was a lot more comfortable when sat up :okay:

This is probably my picture of the year or maybe of my life! Everybody was just over the moon when they arrived at hospital and I jumped (figuratively speaking) out of bed to don a shirt and STAND with my boys to have a picture taken.

View attachment 398200

Big daft lad took the opportunity to stand on his tip toes and take advantage of dads weakness to be taller for once! :laugh:

Fortunately through all this we have found lots that we can still laugh about, others on the same ward and unit haven't been so lucky :sad:

My boys are so happy to still have a dad to do all the dad things with and Mrs Skol keeps crying because it was such a close shave and she thinks she nearly lost me. The hospital staff managed to put the fear of god into her at one point quite accidentally. I'm sure and with hindsight they could have handled it better.
On the morning before my discharge I completed some cognitive awareness tests. Lots of questions and memory tests and number/picture puzzles etc. They asked me the date, I knew this one as it was the 1st so blurted out 1st of Feb. She asked me the month again and I confidently stated, as I have just told you, it's February! She then corrected me, it is 1st MARCH. I was just like Duh! :rolleyes:
She then asked me what season it was. It was -5 outside, snow was blowing past the window, staff were struggling to get to work and it's the start of the year, It's winter obviously. She then corrected me again, No apparently Spring starts on 1st of March officially so it is spring.
She then rang up Mrs Skol to discuss the results. Mrs Skol was informed I had been tested and done OK but had failed on a few things, how had she found me to be acting herself? My wife was now unsure and said I seemed ok but what had I got wrong. When she was informed I didn't know what month it was or what the season was she began to panic and thought maybe I had suffered brain damage after all. When the young girl explained in more detail what I had actually said, Mrs Skol thought the same as me, it was splitting hairs and even someone that hadn't had a bump to the head would make the same mistakes....
Poor girl must have only been about 21, probably doesn't even know what a cheque book is, and certainly hasn't found herself writing cheques with last years date on when it is nearly Easter (which is about the time Spring starts isn't it?).

Like I said, we have lots to laugh about, luckily.
Great picture, and as I sa8d before, you can certainly understand what Mrs Skolly is thinking. Wait until the worry turns to anger.:eek:

Fractured nut will be the least of your troubles.:banghead::laugh:

Top Bottom