Hi honey, I'm home..... Skolly returns.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
There is a chunk missing out of the R/H seatstay.
View attachment 398433

The top tube is broken on the R/H side almost exactly, but not quite, where the bars would smack it if they had spun around.
View attachment 398434

Seat tube is broken from the R/H side above where the front mech mounts.
View attachment 398435

Some damage in the L/H seatstay and chainstay where it has been stressed by the bike trying to fold.
View attachment 398436 View attachment 398437

I think this next shot shows the point of impact where the car hit me.
View attachment 398439

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Alas poor Grade, you knew her well…bikes can be replaced, dads can't.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
So this is the point where it all gets a bit CSI and I have to try and work out what happened to me?

Apart from the above damage, the bike is unmarked, not a single scratch, scrape, rip or gouge. Not even to the outer ends of the XT SPD pedals. I would swear the bike has not slid or bounced along the tarmac, almost as if I braked to a halt and carefully leaned the bike up somewhere :eek:

My injuries consist of:
  • Skull fracture and bruising to right side of head and jaw joint. Fleece hat lining has come unstitched on R/H side.
  • Partial black eyes and some bleeding from the nose evident when cleaning up after initial treatment.
  • Minor bleeding in R/H inner ear canal. R/H ear piece of headphones broken.
  • 2 fractured lower neck vertebrae on left side.
  • Sore left arm and index finger. Finger has minor damage matching an impact and this tallies with scuff to that glove. Sore arm may be due to nerve damage from neck injury.
  • Right elbow minor knock.
  • Both knees minor scuffs bruising. Right knee of leggings has some corresponding scuffs.
  • Both big toes bruised, not a mark on my shoes?

Bike damage could all have been caused by the first single impact. Car hit downtube/chainset, tyres dug into ground bending wheels, saddle jams against inner thigh twisting seatpost in frame. Resulting forces trying to fold bike cause carbon failure as shown. Bike is now floppy/foldy along axis of seat tube and top tube damage. I don't have any injuries from the saddle impact but the saddle has no damage so must have hit something soft to twist it?

What did I bang my head on? I reckon I mustn't have touched the car that hit me after the initial impact and I continued down the road at 20+mph. There is no damage to the bike to match me hitting the ground and being knocked unconscious.

I almost want to talk to the driver to ask what they know. It is a puzzle to me.

Slick

Guru
So this is the point where it all gets a bit CSI and I have to try and work out what happened to me?

Apart from the above damage, the bike is unmarked, not a single scratch, scrape, rip or gouge. Not even to the outer ends of the XT SPD pedals. I would swear the bike has not slid or bounced along the tarmac, almost as if I braked to a halt and carefully leaned the bike up somewhere :eek:

My injuries consist of:
  • Skull fracture and bruising to right side of head and jaw joint. Fleece hat lining has come unstitched on R/H side.
  • Partial black eyes and some bleeding from the nose evident when cleaning up after initial treatment.
  • Minor bleeding in R/H inner ear canal. R/H ear piece of headphones broken.
  • 2 fractured lower neck vertebrae on left side.
  • Sore left arm and index finger. Finger has minor damage matching an impact and this tallies with scuff to that glove. Sore arm may be due to nerve damage from neck injury.
  • Right elbow minor knock.
  • Both knees minor scuffs bruising. Right knee of leggings has some corresponding scuffs.
  • Both big toes bruised, not a mark on my shoes?

Bike damage could all have been caused by the first single impact. Car hit downtube/chainset, tyres dug into ground bending wheels, saddle jams against inner thigh twisting seatpost in frame. Resulting forces trying to fold bike cause carbon failure as shown. Bike is now floppy/foldy along axis of seat tube and top tube damage. I don't have any injuries from the saddle impact but the saddle has no damage so must have hit something soft to twist it?

What did I bang my head on? I reckon I mustn't have touched the car that hit me after the initial impact and I continued down the road at 20+mph. There is no damage to the bike to match me hitting the ground and being knocked unconscious.

I almost want to talk to the driver to ask what they know. It is a puzzle to me.
I'm not being funny or anything, but the reason certain parts of your bike remain untouched is where your soft tissue protected it?

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Could the saddle twist have come from your upper legs and pelvis?
As the front forks seem undamaged by direct impact, it might suggest not a 90 degree T bone, but the car hit you at something like 30 degrees just at the rear of your front wheel. Wheel gets sharply pushed clockwise, but handlebars limit the turn, knackering the wheel and pushing the drops into the crossbar.
In the meantime the forces at the middle and rear of the bike have got to go somewhere; Newton's Law, with some twisting of you because of the angle of hit.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Went back to the scene of the collision yesterday. Despite standing there watching the traffic flow for quite a while and even standing in the lane the driver will have approached in, I still can't understand how they didn't see me.

So, no further clues about the sequence of events during and after the impact other than my analysis of the bike damage. We did find the missing section of seatstay, it had made its way around the corner and was lying in the gutter at the roadside. It looks a bit sorry for itself and appears to have been run over several times after it was pinged out of the frame.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Did you take any dated and timed photographs?
IME and from some of the comments of others on here, this may take some time sorting out. The last thing you want is changes to road markings or layout. If not, I think i would be tempted to take two lots, one at a similar time to that you were travelling and another when it is quiet, so markings etc can be seen clearly.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Did you take any dated and timed photographs?
IME and from some of the comments of others on here, this may take some time sorting out. The last thing you want is changes to road markings or layout. If not, I think i would be tempted to take two lots, one at a similar time to that you were travelling and another when it is quiet, so markings etc can be seen clearly.
Good idea, future changes to the junction could affect any arguments. Will pop back and video traffic and take pictures etc in the next couple of weeks. :okay:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Nice to see you home & up and about so much too. I hope you can get to the bottom of this & get some compensation for your injuries/lovely bike. One reason I run a camera is to have a record should I be unable to recall what happens.

Top Bottom