Hi honey, I'm home..... Skolly returns.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wobblers

Euthermic
There is a chunk missing out of the R/H seatstay.
View attachment 398433

The top tube is broken on the R/H side almost exactly, but not quite, where the bars would smack it if they had spun around.
View attachment 398434

Seat tube is broken from the R/H side above where the front mech mounts.
View attachment 398435

Some damage in the L/H seatstay and chainstay where it has been stressed by the bike trying to fold.
View attachment 398436 View attachment 398437

I think this next shot shows the point of impact where the car hit me.
View attachment 398439

Interesting...

I see that the big chainring's been bent at the 3 oclock position. Is it bent inwards? Because I wonder if that were the initial impact point with the car, along with the obvious scuffs on right side of the down tube. That would suggest that it was either the offside or near side front corner of the car that hit you.

The impact's low down. Because the centre of mass of a cyclist is higher than that, it'd fling you up into the air in a spinning motion. You probably flipped over 180 or 540 degrees and landed on your head! (Ouch!) Instinct causes you to hunch up and tuck your head in to protect it, so it was your neck as well as your head that bore the brunt of hitting the ground. That'd explain the head and neck injuries.

The car hit you with some force - just as well your right leg was back - that would have been rather nasty! I wonder if @Reynard can comment on just how much force or energy needed to cause that amount of damage to your bike. It looks to me that the car was going at some clip. A low speed impact seems unlikely.

It's very interesting that you say there's no scuff damage to either yourself or the bike. If you'd been travelling at 20 mph, you'd still be going at that speed as you hit the ground. Painful past experience tells me that scuffs, torn clothes and bar tape and road rash is the result. That you don't seem to have much in the way of that suggests that were going significantly slower than 20 mph. I reckon you saw this clown beforehand, and were able to scrub much of your speed off before the collision.

Of course, this is all 100% speculation on my part, and subject to my denial of this post ever happening when it's shown to be bollocks!

Without knowing the particulars about the types of carbon and resin, or the exact lay-up used, it's hard to say, but probably in the mid single figure kilonewton range for a compressive force would be my guesstimate.

Having said that, cfrp fails by shattering, dissipating energy thus, rather than by pretzeling like metal - and it's very effective that way.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
God damn! I'm going nuts, I NEED to ride a bike but I know I daren't. I am wearing a big old chunky neck brace to restrict movement of my broken neck while it heals. Even though I am feeling like things are going well I know one false movement could put me back to square one OR WORSE!
As an alternative I keep looking at my broken bike and thinking I can do something with it. Again my situation frustrates me. Until the bike has been inspected I cannot touch it and it must remain in the post crash condition. I cannot even take it apart to properly assess the full extent of the damage. Even if I could, I shouldn't, in case I strain myself trying to work on it :sad:
I sooooo want to take the hybrid for a little potter to the park with the kids. Just a little trip to spin the legs, but I don't even know if I would be able to sit on a bike and look ahead and dare not risk trying.

It is really, really frustrating and I just found out today my first neck assessment is not until the 21st! That is like, forever...... I'm not sure I can cope :crazy:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Amazing how quickly the 4 walls close in isn't it. The telly, internet, books etc all have their limits, and sometimes all you want is fresh air.
But, let things go at their own pace, it'll be better for you in the longer term as I'm sure you know.
Maybe you could take up Airfix modelling....

God damn! I'm going nuts, I NEED to ride a bike but I know I daren't. I am wearing a big old chunky neck brace to restrict movement of my broken neck while it heals. Even though I am feeling like things are going well I know one false movement could put me back to square one OR WORSE!
As an alternative I keep looking at my broken bike and thinking I can do something with it. Again my situation frustrates me. Until the bike has been inspected I cannot touch it and it must remain in the post crash condition. I cannot even take it apart to properly assess the full extent of the damage. Even if I could, I shouldn't, in case I strain myself trying to work on it :sad:
I sooooo want to take the hybrid for a little potter to the park with the kids. Just a little trip to spin the legs, but I don't even know if I would be able to sit on a bike and look ahead and dare not risk trying.

It is really, really frustrating and I just found out today my first neck assessment is not until the 21st! That is like, forever...... I'm not sure I can cope :crazy:

bloody annoying and frustrating innit, but as you know, better safe than sorry

raleighnut

Legendary Member

:hugs:

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
Somehow I had missed that you had an accident! Glad you are safe and on the mend, get well soon (and as hard as it is, try to listen to the doctor! advice I am not always keen on myself...) Sending good vibes your way!

postman

Legendary Member
p4pb8465543.jpg
999999-52427600301.jpg
Right when you feel a little better,just follow the instructions ,starting with the wheel.The bike will be ok in no time.If you have any tape left you could use it on your delicate parts.All the best for a speedy recovery from here in Siberean Meanwood.

D

Deleted member 1258

:hugs: :hugs:

You've started to get better, I can tell, its like an itch you can't scratch. Many years ago I fell off a step ladder and broke my heel, I got that bad I ended up strapping my crutches to my bike with spare saddle bag straps and going out with a local touring club. A stupid thing to do I know, a fall could have set me back months, but I had to do something I was going bonkers sat round the house.

Top Bottom