Highway Code revision

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

I like their three disc system. VED, NCT and insurance all on public display in the windscreen.
Not too worried about that, VED should be abolished, the others are only a quick lookup away.

classic33

Leg End Member
Not too worried about that, VED should be abolished, the others are only a quick lookup away.
But if not on display, you're issued an instant fine.

D

Deleted member 26715

But if not on display, you're issued an instant fine.
But you could easily issue anybody who 'NEEDS' to know a phone app that you take a picture of the reg & it goes off & gets you the info within seconds. You could also incorporate a VIN scanner that checks the plates on it belong to the vehicle in question as they are harder to swap, not sure what having stickers in the window achieves, yep last century, but not this one.

D

Deleted member 26715

But you could easily issue anybody who 'NEEDS' to know a phone app that you take a picture of the reg & it goes off & gets you the info within seconds. You could also incorporate a VIN scanner that checks the plates on it belong to the vehicle in question as they are harder to swap, not sure what having stickers in the window achieves, yep last century, but not this one.
You can get free text messages, free emails & free marks on a calendar

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Having a tax disc was a great reminder for me when it ran out. I've once nearly forgotten and once actually forgotten to re-tax my vehicle since they did away with them.

I get a postal reminder. Tax discs became quite sought after and nickable at some point in the recent past.

tyred

Legendary Member
I like their three disc system. VED, NCT and insurance all on public display in the windscreen.
I think it is stupid in this day and age to have to stick bits of paper to my windscreen when all that info should be on some database which can be quickly and easily checked by the Guards.

Putting my insurance disc on the windscreen in public view allows any Tom, Dick or Harry to take down my policy number and put in a fraudulent claim. This has been known to happen. It also just tells the guards that there is an insurance policy on the vehicle, which doesn't necessarily mean that I am insured to drive it.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
How about if anyone is convicted of an offence against 'the rules' stipulated in the Highway Code has to take a course with an exam at the end, fail that and your licence is revoked.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
How about if anyone is convicted of an offence against 'the rules' stipulated in the Highway Code has to take a course with an exam at the end, fail that and your licence is revoked.
It would need new legislation so isn't relevant to this revision.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Having a tax disc was a great reminder for me when it ran out. I've once nearly forgotten and once actually forgotten to re-tax my vehicle since they did away with them.

They send you a reminder, assuming that is, they have the correct address for you? You have updated your address, haven't you?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
They have this thing now called direct debit, it's great when I CBA to insure and pay VED in the same month :okay:
1. You still need to put the money in the DD account.
2. If they fark up the DD, then they guarantee you the refund if they overcharge, but they don't pay your fines if they undercharge or miss a charge and you're caught driving without a valid VED licence, so you still need to check it.

OP
OP
snorri

snorri

Legendary Member
Always been igurant wi words, but I think we are getting to the stage where a license for life has to be challenged, periodic testing, random testing or sometime, the quality/skill of drivers is plummeting.
I believe the problem is one of mental aptitude, not a lowering of driving skills.
The vast majority of drivers could drive competently under supervision for the short time it takes to undergo a driving test.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
1. You still need to put the money in the DD account.
2. If they fark up the DD, then they guarantee you the refund if they overcharge, but they don't pay your fines if they undercharge or miss a charge and you're caught driving without a valid VED licence, so you still need to check it.

Sorry, off topic but...

Youngest daughter was a financial disaster in her early years. Improved now (42).

At one point, threaten with eviction, rent arrears, court, for Council Tax arrears.

We sat down, I cleared the debts, then, convinced her to set up Direct Debits.

Three months later, debts mounting again.

Harsh words.

Daughter: "but, Dad, you said to set up Direct Debits, and, I have"
Me: "Yes, but, there has to be money left in the account to pay them!"

;)

Top Bottom