Hills.... any shame in walking up them?....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Stopping on a climb is failure. It's defeated you. Everyone's different, some people accept failure better than others.
That reminds of the TA man who used to say "To apologise is a sign of weakness" Never apologise (He was never a regular because his mother wouldn't let him sign up or so he told me one night when he was 1/2 cut)

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Not at all. Even Tour de France winners do it. Here's Octave Lapize
Octave-Lapize-Tourmalet-1910-Tour-de-France.jpg

MikeW-71

Veteran
No shame at all, I use two local hills as fitness testers If I get up one without loaded panniers that is normal fitness. The other one (Wetheral Ferry landing to the post office) If I get up it from a standing start, that is great If I take a run at it and get up that is good to very good, if I only manage as far as the Church, well Ok It is time to rest up. But no shame.
Ah yes, that is a nice one indeed :smile: :heat:

No shame at all in having to get off and push. I'm usually bloody-minded enough to stop and rest for a minute, then try to ride on up, but if I need to walk, so be it.

Lonestar

Veteran
I would try but there was one hill in Thailand (on the first bike tour) that was so ferking steep I had trouble walking up it with the bike.:notworthy:

I was actually more worried about falling off.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Here's some professionals (the Belgian champion there may be 2005's Serge Baguet, as this is RvV 2006) having a nice walk up the 11.6%-average Koppenberg:
S-KOPPENBERG_6297.jpg

(pic from http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/apr06/rvv06/index.php?id=raceday/S-KOPPENBERG_6297)
TBF though - that would be because there had been a problem up ahead and they couldn't get going again after being brought to a standstill.

As for the 24 inch gear (yes, I get it!) ... @Littgull was showing me his new gearing on Monday - he now has a 16.5 inch grovelling gear (22/36) on his bike and has used it to get up a local monster climb (Church Lane/Mytholm Steeps), one which has often defeated me and reduced me to the 24 inch gear option.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
TBF though - that would be because there had been a problem up ahead and they couldn't get going again after being brought to a standstill.
Was it? I thought 2006 was the year that conditions weren't wet (when loads of riders start wheelspinning on the cobbles) but they just couldn't fit a low enough gear with their usual drivetrain and the Koppenberg was far enough from the finish (80km away - it moved closer to the finish in 2012) that many teams felt it was better to walk than use a long cage.

Jody

Stubborn git
When I got back in the saddle 2 years ago I was struggling with hills. I still do to some extent, although as you point out it gets easier. The biggest hill I managed without walking was in the peaks, off road and between 20-30% (helped along with a 22/36 granny combination). Although I could only do it in 20 meter stints

That said, there is no shame in walking.

I just started SS and as yet got up every hill even if my quads were bursting. I don't want to stop and walk mainly because there are no paths on the country lanes and the thought of a two tonne bumper up my arse keeps me going.

Top Bottom