Hills - Should you back off as you get older ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S-Express

Yes indeed, I agree totally - my intended point (as you appear to agree) is that using technology to compare your health indications with pseudo-norms is pretty much meaningless.
This is precisely what I said earlier, in response to one of your posts in which you were doing exactly that.

Alan O

Über Member
This is precisely what I said earlier, in response to one of your posts in which you were doing exactly that.
What I intended to point out is that I do indeed track health/fitness/exercise measurements using technology, but that I don't put any store on how they compare with pseudo-norms and that I don't judge my level of exertion on them but instead on how I feel. As I pointed out, I don't even look at such measures until after I'm back home.

CXRAndy

Guru
I'm a little younger but the wrong side of 50. I regularly red-line on hills and sprints(zwift races) if you're fit and healthy no reason not to work hard. If your heart pops, at least you died doing something hopefully you enjoy.

Aside note our club captain, who is in his mid 60's and still beats the pants off most of our other club riders, on the club runs of 60-70 miles.

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
20170122_081553.jpg
I made a mountain/tourer road bike. I did my research on gearing, speed, cadence and my weight. I ended up with a bike that has a 40/28 crankset, and use either 11-32t cassette for UK riding and a 11-40t for Europe's mountain climbs. Now this allows me spin at a high cadence on the very steepest of climbs(80+rpm), it protects my knees.

So I can ride up the steepest of climbs in relative comfort, but there is also another plus side, I use it for club runs. There was much interest(jocularity) from the other club members thinking I couldn't keep up with the pack. This gearing allows me to attain 30 mph @ 110 rpm on the flats which is the fastest pace I need for club runs and also climb 20% hills without getting off. I'm pretty fit and can haul my 95kg around reasonably well.

The fashion of 50/34 cranks and 11-28 cassettes is not for the heavier riders who like to climb

Try http://www.bikecalc.com work out what gearing you need for your type of riding

Last edited:

jonsablue

Im 54 in a couple of weeks - Ive always been a pretty crap cyclist, probably due to my lungs. I do (or did) pride myself on always getting over even the steepest of hills ...like 20% .....Im not fast but I always get there...

Anyway I stumbled on an unknown - but absolute monster of hill - it was a very tight narrow and small lane- I was blowing and groaning like nobodies business - then I spotted someones driveway sadly I bottled it and got off .......part of it was fear of car coming the other way - the road was just to damm narrow - and I didn't fancy ending up on my arse...

My question is at 54 is it dangerous to push yourself when your feel your heart coming out of your jersey ?

I had a heart attack two years ago at 45 years young! No history in the family but I had really abused myself during my early years. I actually just woke up in the morning one day and did it. I had one stent fitted and my recovery has been good. Fortunately no muscle damage and no residual angina. Cardiac arrests whilst exercising are quite rare (but not unheard of obviously). I'd say at your age your ok if you've not got any symptoms. Even the top guys struggle up the hills, they just make it look prettier than us haha

I had really subtle symptoms prior to the actual event, jaw ache and neuralgia as well as a dull ache in the center of my chest during exercise. If you're not getting any of that then I'd say your good to go. Unless you have a history of premature CVD in the family (heart attack/stroke etc) in which case might be an idea to get yourself checked over anyway.

Not exercise is counter productive to a healthy heart. What I would say is this though, if you're not enjoying it don't do it! Unless your training for an event why put yourself through it?

I've been back cycling now 18 months. I'm far fitter than I was was prior the event, I can cycle further and harder than before and I love a hill! Trust me I huff and puff up them whilst the fitter lads fly past but I don't care! I get up any hill through sheer determination knowing that I'm doing myself the world of good whilst doing it and its a great challenge. If I didn't enjoy it, I wouldn't do it! I've nothing to prove! :smile:

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
I had a heart attack two years ago at 45 years young! No history in the family but I had really abused myself during my early years. I actually just woke up in the morning one day and did it. I had one stent fitted and my recovery has been good. Fortunately no muscle damage and no residual angina. Cardiac arrests whilst exercising are quite rare (but not unheard of obviously). I'd say at your age your ok if you've not got any symptoms. Even the top guys struggle up the hills, they just make it look prettier than us haha

I had really subtle symptoms prior to the actual event, jaw ache and neuralgia as well as a dull ache in the center of my chest during exercise. If you're not getting any of that then I'd say your good to go. Unless you have a history of premature CVD in the family (heart attack/stroke etc) in which case might be an idea to get yourself checked over anyway.

Not exercise is counter productive to a healthy heart. What I would say is this though, if you're not enjoying it don't do it! Unless your training for an event why put yourself through it?

I've been back cycling now 18 months. I'm far fitter than I was was prior the event, I can cycle further and harder than before and I love a hill! Trust me I huff and puff up them whilst the fitter lads fly past but I don't care! I get up any hill through sheer determination knowing that I'm doing myself the world of good whilst doing it and its a great challenge. If I didn't enjoy it, I wouldn't do it! I've nothing to prove! :smile:

Does anyone enjoy cycling up hill ? - or any other strenuous exercise - I get satisfaction from it, but when I going up a hill Im not actually enjoying it - same as working out in the gym - satisfaction not really enjoying that last rep with more weight than you've done previously.

Anyway fitted the new sprocket - booked an appt with gp - going to call the asthma uk nurses today to go through current medication.

I am also going to swallow my pride and go out with the touring section of a local club -Id been holding off hoping to get fit enough to go with the faster groups - but while my peak flow is 350 don't think that is happening....

Many thanks for all the responses...

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Good point / question. I am off out in the next half hour or so, and intend heading out to Ashurst Beacon near Skelmersdale, one of the more challenging hills around here. Thinking about your question, no I won't enjoy it as my heart pounds and my lungs gasp, but the endorphin glow when I have finished will be worth it, I hope, it usually is. Good luck.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I learnt to really enjoy hills on a trip to Spain last year. Well I say hill's. They were mountains. We climbed 36000 feet in 290 miles. Including the Pico De Veleta at 11500 ft over 30 miles.
I found the trick was to get into the mindset of , 'OK it's here, I'm on it so let's take it easy and get on with it'. Not to push it too hard and just try to enjoy it. For me that worked. I did actually enjoy the climbing.

But... that's in Spain. Totally different to climbing the Kent Downs and a cold, wet, dark sunday ^_^

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Good point / question. I am off out in the next half hour or so, and intend heading out to Ashurst Beacon near Skelmersdale, one of the more challenging hills around here. Thinking about your question, no I won't enjoy it as my heart pounds and my lungs gasp, but the endorphin glow when I have finished will be worth it, I hope, it usually is. Good luck.

For all you're 'not enjoying' - I am bit jealous sitting here in the office. Have a good ride mate.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I'm nearly 57, and have only really started taking on big hills/mountains in the last few years. I guess I'm probably much heavier than you (as I'm taller and heavier that the vast majority of people), so I totally get your concerns about overdoing it. I have done pretty much what @ianrauk and some of the others above have mentioned, and just sat back and enjoyed the hills at my own pace. I've opted for a bike with a granny ring on the front and a dinner plate of a 34T cassette at the back, and I just pace myself steadily.

Whenever my breathing seems to be getting out of control, I ease right off in the lowest gear I've got .... or even stop for a breather if absolutely necessary. On club rides, when we hit the big hills, I'm usually about the 8th or 9th man up out of 10 of us, but who cares? And a couple of others will have either put a foot down or taken the walk of shame at some point. I once took the opportunity to check out what deep, steady breathing does for you physiologically while using a gym bike, and it is remarkable how it can keep your heart rate under control. Of all the techniques I have used for surviving the hills, I think consciously keeping control of your breathing and easing off on the pedals when necessary is the best advice I can give you.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Meant to say "whenever my breathing is clearly insufficient to maintain a safe heart rate". When you find yourself gasping and your chest pounding, ease off and breathe deeper.

S-Express

Meant to say "whenever my breathing is clearly insufficient to maintain a safe heart rate". When you find yourself gasping and your chest pounding, ease off and breathe deeper.
Unless you have been directed by a clinician to stay below a certain HR, then there is no such thing as an 'unsafe' HR. Your body will do it automatically.

Top Bottom