Hills - Should you back off as you get older ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan O

Über Member
Breathing is controlled by the autonomic nervous system - it should never be 'out of control'.
Generally yes, but I think that needs some qualification. It's driven by CO2 levels and not by O2 levels (iirc - I researched it before an Everest base camp trek some years ago), so in cases when CO2 is being removed efficiently but O2 is still not sufficient, the autonomic system can lose control a little. It's partly why people suffer from altitude sickness, and why I needed to consciously breathe harder at high altitudes than my instinct told me in order to prevent feeling faint and dizzy. It's a really weird feeling - I didn't feel breathless, but my body was behaving as if it didn't have enough O2 (which it didn't).

Alan O

Über Member
Unless you have been directed by a clinician to stay below a certain HR, then there is no such thing as an 'unsafe' HR. Your body will do it automatically.
I presume you don't mean to imply that people who actually do have a heart problem but have not been directed by a clinician (eg those with undiagnosed conditions) don't have an unsafe HR?

I don't mean to just be pedantic here, but when I was being treated for my heart condition I met many who had previously been totally unaware of their problems for years before they were diagnosed (as I was), some of whom had been dangerously over-exerting themselves (as I was).

If you have any reason to suspect a heart problem (age-related or not), I'd strongly advise avoiding excess exertion without getting yourself checked out.

Last edited:

S-Express

I presume you don't mean to imply that people who actually do have a heart problem but have not been directed by a clinician (eg those with undiagnosed conditions) don't have an unsafe HR?
Like I said before, if you don't know you have a heart condition, then there's not much you can do to mitigate.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
I'm nearly 57, and have only really started taking on big hills/mountains in the last few years. I guess I'm probably much heavier than you (as I'm taller and heavier that the vast majority of people), so I totally get your concerns about overdoing it. I have done pretty much what @ianrauk and some of the others above have mentioned, and just sat back and enjoyed the hills at my own pace. I've opted for a bike with a granny ring on the front and a dinner plate of a 34T cassette at the back, and I just pace myself steadily.

Whenever my breathing seems to be getting out of control, I ease right off in the lowest gear I've got .... or even stop for a breather if absolutely necessary. On club rides, when we hit the big hills, I'm usually about the 8th or 9th man up out of 10 of us, but who cares? And a couple of others will have either put a foot down or taken the walk of shame at some point. I once took the opportunity to check out what deep, steady breathing does for you physiologically while using a gym bike, and it is remarkable how it can keep your heart rate under control. Of all the techniques I have used for surviving the hills, I think consciously keeping control of your breathing and easing off on the pedals when necessary is the best advice I can give you.

I don't understand enjoy at your own pace! - these are 3/4 miles short but very steep climbs (18-25% in places) - I am already out of the saddle or else the bike wouldn't go forwards !

Oldfentiger

Veteran
I don't understand enjoy at your own pace! - these are 3/4 miles short but very steep climbs (18-25% in places) - I am already out of the saddle or else the bike wouldn't go forwards !
@Donger told you about his gearing, and that's the difference here.
My lowest gear is 34/32, which enables me to climb 20% gradients while still seated. If I feel like standing up I select 34/28 as it's actually easier!

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I quite enjoyed my Sunday ride over Exmoor and the Quantocks, mostly in pouring rain. Several arrowed roads and a 6km climb on to the moor. I did have to wait for my two, younger, companions (or, a couple of times, ride back down to meet one of them). See my post in 'Your ride today'.

I wasn't feeling all that fit at the beginning of the year, but a few long rides seem to have cured that.

CXRAndy

Guru
@Donger told you about his gearing, and that's the difference here.
My lowest gear is 34/32, which enables me to climb 20% gradients while still seated. If I feel like standing up I select 34/28 as it's actually easier!

What Cadence on these 20% hills? Do you like spin or grind with pedalling? I like to keep above 80 rpm where possible

Oldfentiger

Veteran
What Cadence on these 20% hills? Do you like spin or grind with pedalling? I like to keep above 80 rpm where possible
Not much idea of cadence tbh. I'd guess between 60 and 80. Only works for me on short climbs of that gradient though :laugh:.
I usually alternate between standing and sitting, and I suppose I'm somewhere between a grinder and a spinner. Is there a particular cadence which separates grinding and spinning?

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Not much idea of cadence tbh. I'd guess between 60 and 80. Only works for me on short climbs of that gradient though :laugh:.
I usually alternate between standing and sitting, and I suppose I'm somewhere between a grinder and a spinner. Is there a particular cadence which separates grinding and spinning?

Surely you can't spin while standing up ?

CXRAndy

Guru

Spinning on the flat would be 90+rpm and grinding <75rpm, same for hills. Unless you're a lightweight, less than 12 stone or a youngster then general standard gearing 50/34 or 53/39 aren't sufficiently low enough to allow climbing hills comfortably at a candence of say 80 rpm. Triple cranks are still popular but becoming rarer. I went the other way and built a road bike around MTB gearing so have 40/28 crank. Being a bigger rider it allows me to stay in my comfort zone for spinning even on the steeper climbs or mountain climbs where staying at a pace and cadence which you can maintain for 2-3 hours

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
I do, in fact I find it more enjoyable than the descents.
Indeed, descents can be quite hairy and dangerous, especially on a poor road surface. I came down a steep one yesterday and was constantly on my brakes, my thumbs and forefingers were aching like mad. It was tempting to let go of the brakes but apart from a couple of short stretches, would have been too dangerous to do so.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Indeed, descents can be quite hairy and dangerous, especially on a poor road surface. I came down a steep one yesterday and was constantly on my brakes, my thumbs and forefingers were aching like mad. It was tempting to let go of the brakes but apart from a couple of short stretches, would have been too dangerous to do so.

Yep. I'm also one of those that although I do like descending at speed. It's only if I have great sight lines with not too many bends, corners or junctions. I really do not like descending round corners at speed.

Top Bottom