Hit-and-run bishop kills cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...th-baltimore/bs-md-bishop-20141230-story.html
her father was rector at Old St. Pauls', I believe. Also a bit of a boozer, according this article. We all have our problems, but this is unacceptable behavior. She just participated on a "Trail of Souls" walk for repentance and reconciliation (about the churches role in slavery in this country before the Civil War) . Must not have had much effect. I believe the US elects a new Presiding Bishop soon, so this probably won't be ignored, as the Diocese of Maryland also includes the National Cathedral and District of Columbia. This is not close to home for the National Episcopal Church, it is home for the National Episcopal Church.

Bishop Cook's sermon last month calling for accountability on the roads:

http://m.christianpost.com/news/god...ongregants-about-speeding-last-month--131859/

snorri

Legendary Member
I would hope those who have covered up for her or turned a blind eye, and there must have been a few over the years, are feeling mightily uncomfortable right now.

There was a satirical site a few years ago that interpreted the "signs" on the back of cars

IIRC the "fish symbol" was interpreted as "prepare to meet your maker"

Somehow a lot less funny given this case

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I usually have this:
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRl8KjsqxV2ig6zaAKYx91GQZuWavfaID9mCjPgSymiJqr_Txnu5g.png

Fish thingy always makes me think of this:
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnucGp2VtS2Ai10jx180noxkCzJXxijuFjOrDkj0eW8W1whPwIyg.jpg

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/obituaries/bs-md-ob-thomas-palermo-20141230-story.html
Thomas Palermo, a man devoted to cycling and his family. What a sad thing, that a man this talented has to die at age 41 and leave behind a family in this way. Abandoned after an accident while the Bishop Suffragan of Maryland runs away for 20+ minutes, when she should have been taking responsibility for her actions and her addiction, and bringing aid to the stricken.

Last edited:

Ganymede

Veteran
From that obit: "he was struck by a vehicle". No, he was struck with a vehicle.

Very sad, he sounds like a great guy.

I don't really understand that 2nd link Gravity. Are Episcopalians especially influential? The comments keep banging on about if it was a catholic bishop the press would be all over it. I don't really understand factional christianity. Fancy buggers.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Anglicans, without a monarch running the church. Not particularly influential, but a disproportionate number of wealthy and politically active people have been Episcopalian. Of 44 U.S. Presidents, 12 have been Episcopalian. I think they are making the point that the outgoing bishop is being considered as a candidate for Presiding Bishop, or Prelate, hence that this incident is being hushed up. Cyclists in the area are doing something about that, hence the thousand person ride, and the ghost bike. I think part of this also is that people in Baltimore see many things as a conspiracy on the part of the National Government across the bay. Also a great place for hardshell crabs, and other seafood.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
It just gets better and better. Texting, driving under the influence, She just gave a sermon about the evils of speeding this summer. Leaving the scene of an accident is an offense as well.

Top Bottom