Hit-and-run bishop kills cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Aware that such celebrations surrounding a religious event such as that constitute part of that event, and are part of the ceremony, see it as you wish. Yes, i have read the article, and I think it casts bad light on the goings-on in the Episcopal Church. Unfortunately, it also brings criticism on the Church for the above reasons. Many in the Church are following this. Many in the church have seen and heard what is going on, and the accusations levelled. I for one, do not have that experience with the Church. I should not have phrased the item in that way. But that is how I, for one, see it.

KneesUp

Guru
"Church in hypocrisy shock" is hardly a headline, regardless of what particular variation of 'God' they proselytize for.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Aware that such celebrations surrounding a religious event such as that constitute part of that event, and are part of the ceremony,
No they're not. I read it as a private dinner. The installation ceremony is a formal religious liturgy involving the laying on of hands. This was a convivial dinner involving food and drink - apparently too much drink.

It doesn't cast a good light on the church, certainly. But it's not really hypocrisy - the episcopalians have never been particularly anti boozing.

KneesUp

Guru
it's not really hypocrisy - the episcopalians have never been particularly anti boozing.

Preaching to people about driving safely (which is kind of an odd thing for the church to be talking about anyway) and then drink driving is definitely hypocrisy though.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
No they're not. I read it as a private dinner. The installation ceremony is a formal religious liturgy involving the laying on of hands. This was a convivial dinner involving food and drink - apparently too much drink.

It doesn't cast a good light on the church, certainly. But it's not really hypocrisy - the episcopalians have never been particularly anti boozing.
It was originally stated to be a pre-consecration dinner, then later recast as a private function by the Diocese of Maryland
"The timeline initially reported Sutton suspected "Cook is inebriated during pre-consecration dinner" Sept. 4, and that Sutton conveyed "concern to presiding bishop." However, the diocese changed its description Tuesday of the event to a "private dinner" and reposted the timeline to its website"
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/diocese-church-leader-concerned-bishop-drunk-28694465

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
A pre-consecration dinner is a private function. The change is probably because people like you have misconstrued it.

Former bishop who hit and killed cyclist while driving drunk pleads guilty to manslaughter
Victim’s sister-in-law calls for strong message to be sent to those who text behind the wheel or drink and drive

http://road.cc/content/news/163656-...led-cyclist-while-driving-drunk-pleads-guilty

Tom%20Palermo%20(image%20courtesy%20Bikemore%20via%20Facebook).jpg

At sentencing next month, prosecutors will ask for a sentence of 20 years with all but 10 years suspended, followed by five years' probation. By suspending half the sentence, a judge could impose the remaining term if Cook violated her probation, the terms of which would include installing an ignition interlock device in her car and continuing to attend counselling for alcoholism.

Last edited by a moderator:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
she should have been taking responsibility for her actions and her addiction,
I didn't see anything in the article that related the two issues, indeed I am not clear on whether she still is an addict...or ever was.

The report is written so badly, with an eye on sensationalism. It sets out the guilt of the driver from the get go, ignores the life and acheivements of the rider and then does a neat time travel piece leaving readers to assume her previous conviction was part of this awful incident.

All that it does is confuse and create the opportunity for incorrect opinions.

No wait...it's fox news right?

Top Bottom