Hit and Run Road Rage Incident Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
Had an incident this afternoon. A guy was double parked and opened his car door blocking the whole of one lane, forcing me into the opposite side of a busy road. As I passed I politely said to be more careful with his door next time.

Unknown to me, he pursued me for about 2 miles, before forcing me off the road. He was shouting at me that I frightened his child, and the continued to scream abuse at me before getting out. He then threatened to deck me, but soon stopped when I told him to try it. He got back in the car, reversed and drove at me. Then did it again, wheels spinning and knocked me and bike to the ground and drove over the back wheel. Don’t think he got the frame, as it appears intact but won’t know until I get the wheel off.

I was calm throughout and didn’t swear back. I was shocked that he had 2 very young kids in the car with only basic booster seats that are too old for them. More shocked that his missus didn’t speak or even look at me throughout.

I phoned the Police, but declined an Ambulance as the shin was only cut and bruised from the chainring digging in. They called back to say the Police won’t come now as no Ambulance = no Police.

They called me back at 16:23 to say they were on their way from the main station about 8 miles away. I am still waiting and had no update. Called 101 for an update and they stated it was high priority.

I appreciate that it’s actuslly low priority in the real world, but this was ultimately a hit and run incident against a cyclist. I can accept that this is the way it is in 2917, but what do I do next?

I know where he lives, but can’t exactly knock the door to get insurance details. I doubt he would give them anyway, and doesn’t look good if I don’t wait for the Police to get involved.

I am a British Cycling member, so maybe I should call them for advice? I have the car number plate and 2 households of witnesses that saw it all.

Has anyone experienced similar and what can I do to resolve the broken bike?

At a glance the following needs replacing:

Rear Wheel
Tyre
Tube
Rear Hanger
Rear Derailleur
Chain
Scraped Pedal
Scuffed Frame (Bare Carbon Matte Finish)

Until I get it looked at, I don’t know if the frame is damaged too. Fingers crossed that it isn’t, as really like the bike.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Report it to the police.

Then report it to your insurer.

Let them do the sweating.

Then remember that many of us don't waste our breath on road idiots for exactly this very reason.

Hope you're OK.

johnnyb47

Guru
OMG. That sounds awful. Although your not badly hurt it must of been horrific to of experienced that kind of abuse. What the hell,s the matter the guy. Crossed words "yes" but to go as far as he did is deplorable. This is a clear hit and run and he should be brought to justice of it. Without sounding over dramatic about it , he could of killed you behaving the way he did. His actions where deliberate and not of an accident. Personally I wouldn't let this incident "go" and follow it up. If you have insurance put a claim in against that lunatic and pop down to the police station to put in a formal complaint.You've got witnesses to it. If this idiot gets away with this scott free ,who knows what he would do next time to some unsuspecting cyclist that he dislikes. You did the right thing though as to not rising up to this psychopath. God knows what he would of done if you were to antagonize him.
I'm glad your ok though and hope it hasn't put you off cycling. When something like this happens ,its easy to feel all motorists are the same but in reality there not.
All very best and I hope that nob gets the book thrown at him for his disgusting behaviour.

classic33

Leg End Member
Call the police and ask for both the call log number and collision number. Two seperate numbers.

I'd not class it as a hit & run either. He had time to think about what he was doing, and decided to chase you.

Forget the bike for now, get yourself checked over. Any damage will be harder to fix.

johnnyb47

Guru
When you read of incidents like this ,no wonder newbies to the world of cycling are often put off by the aggressive attitudes of some drivers. At the very worst a car will get away with just a broken mirror etc ,but a cyclist could quite easily lose there life.
Traffic accidents are bad enough, but when things are intentional to cause damage or fear for your life it's just totally dispicable.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I would start by not telling the coppers what you think it is - telling coppers what to do always hacks them off.

Stick to the tale, it's nasty enough as it is, and it's up to them how they charge it.

Leaving coppering aside, if you know where he lives, you can presumably get the reg no of his vehicle safely from driving by.

That gives you access to his insurance company details via the Motor insurers' Database, and you can then claim directly from his insurance company.

Asking British Cycling is a thought, but as there's no personal injury the claim may not amount to much, which in turn means their solicitors may not be very interested in it.

https://www.askmid.com/

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
I have changed the job I do at work recently. For the past 3 months I have been s lot more relaxed. I was pleased at how I reacted today but gutted at the end result. Part of me wonders whether I would have been better off decking him when he was in my face. Head says that I did the right thing though.

Thanks for the support everyone. Much appreciated. It hasn’t put me off, don’t worry. Literally my first ride out without knee pain after slowly adjusting the bike to help with the IT Band issue. Does law that I know have a seollen shin.

Don’t have specific bike insurance other than the British Cycling liability element. House insurance covers me up to a certain value I think though. BC is the best answer all things considered.

vickster

Legendary Member
I would start by not telling the coppers what you think it is - telling coppers what to do always hacks them off.

Stick to the tale, it's nasty enough as it is, and it's up to them how they charge it.

Leaving coppering aside, if you know where he lives, you can presumably get the reg no of his vehicle safely from driving by.

That gives you access to his insurance company details via the Motor insurers' Database, and you can then claim directly from his insurance company.

Asking British Cycling is a thought, but as there's no personal injury the claim may not amount to much, which in turn means their solicitors may not be very interested in it.

If he's a member, they'll represent him whatever the size of the claim

Get in touch with them in the morning, give them the reg number and start the ball rolling. Also see your GP and get the leg wound reviewed, start the medical documentation. Given how the driver acted, I'd go after him for PI and damage to property. Keep all receipts, photos of all damage to you, the bike, and any kit.

You do not need to have any contact with the driver, let LD handle it all through his insurers

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
When you read of incidents like this ,no wonder newbies to the world of cycling are often put off by the aggressive attitudes of some drivers. At the very worst a car will get away with just a broken mirror etc ,but a cyclist could quite easily lose there life.
Why should it put people off cycling? These nobbers are on the roads, so they also endanger other motorists and especially people walking. If you can do anything that gets them prevented from driving, please do.

classic33

Leg End Member

Mobile version available, both now charge due to misuse.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
I plan to give the Police a statement and ask their advice @Pale Rider. I agree, I wouldn’t be suggesting to them how to do their job. I also won’t be complaining about them not coming out to me or for not telling me they weren’t after phoning to say they were on their way. Yes, it’s unfair, but I just assume that something more important came up. Sadly, that’s down to funding, and not the PC’s personal fault.

Top Bottom