Hit and Run Road Rage Incident Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
So no-one called old bill despite 2 households witnessing it?
You must be a saint
Did you read the post?

classic33

Leg End Member
I plan to give the Police a statement and ask their advice @Pale Rider. I agree, I wouldn’t be suggesting to them how to do their job. I also won’t be complaining about them not coming out to me or for not telling me they weren’t after phoning to say they were on their way. Yes, it’s unfair, but I just assume that something more important came up. Sadly, that’s down to funding, and not the PC’s personal fault.
I'll be shouted down for saying this, but I did tell the officer that attended when I was hit I would do his job, if he didn't feel like doing it. That was well after the date of the incident and where I found out that nothing had been done by him. By which time I had the proper name, address and more of the driver.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'll be shouted down for saying this, but I did tell the officer that attended when I was hit I would do his job, if he didn't feel like doing it. That was well after the date of the incident and where I found out that nothing had been done by him. By which time I had the proper name, address and more of the driver.

You won't be shouted down by me - 'well after the date and nothing done' is a reasonable time to start complaining.

The OP's plan to start off on the right foot by making a calm statement and letting things take their course is a good one.

I hope @vickster is right about BC's solicitors taking an interest, happily for me, unhappily for her, she has more experience of that side of it than I do.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Had an incident this afternoon. A guy was done blue parked and opened his car door blocking the whole of one lane, forcing me into the opposite side of a busy road. As I passed I politely said to be more careful with his door next time.

Unknown to me, he pursued me for about 2 miles, before forcing me off the road. He was shouting at me that I frightened his child, and the continued to scream abuse at me before getting out. He then threatened to deck me, but soon stopped when I told him to try it. He got back in the car, reversed and drove at me. Then did it again, wheels spinning and knocked me and bike to the ground and drove over the back wheel. Don’t think he got the frame, as it appears intact but won’t know until I get the wheel off.

I was calm throughout and didn’t swear back. I was shocked that he had 2 very young kids in the car with only basic booster seats that are too old for them. More shocked that his missus didn’t speak or even look at me throughout.

I phoned the Police, but declined an Ambulance as the shin was only cut and bruised from the chainring digging in. They called back to say the Police won’t come now as no Ambulance = no Police.

They called me back at 16:23 to say they were on their way from the main station about 8 miles away. I am still waiting and had no update. Called 101 for an update and they stated it was high priority.

I appreciate that it’s actuslly low priority in the real world, but this was ultimately a hit and run incident against a cyclist. I can accept that this is the way it is in 2917, but what do I do next?

I know where he lives, but can’t exactly knock the door to get insurance details. I doubt he would give them anyway, and doesn’t look good if I don’t wait for the Police to get involved.

I am a British Cycling member, so maybe I should call them for advice? I have the car number plate and 2 households of witnesses that saw it all.

Has anyone experienced similar and what can I do to resolve the broken bike?

At a glance the following needs replacing:

Rear Wheel
Tyre
Tube
Rear Hanger
Rear Derailleur
Scraped Pedal
Scuffed Frame (Bare Carbon Matte Finish)

Until I get it looked at, I don’t know if the frame is damaged too. Fingers crossed that it isn’t, as really like the bike.
Can't offer any advice, but hope you're ok. I'm pretty furious for you after reading that.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Can't offer any advice, but hope you're ok. I'm pretty furious for you after reading that.
Cheers. Appreciate the thought.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Bike damage:

Attachments

• BBA272F1-2974-4581-A734-C0112799701E.jpeg
    BBA272F1-2974-4581-A734-C0112799701E.jpeg
    195.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 981D7738-2E3B-42E1-AF58-9EE64917C89B.jpeg
    981D7738-2E3B-42E1-AF58-9EE64917C89B.jpeg
    136.5 KB · Views: 55
OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Leg damage: slightly more swollen since though.

Attachments

• 97BE1F6B-ADB8-4F29-AD7B-B40737472F8D.jpeg
    97BE1F6B-ADB8-4F29-AD7B-B40737472F8D.jpeg
    106.1 KB · Views: 42
OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Don't try riding it!
And on a serious note don't do anything to it. Leave that to a bikeshop.
My first thought was to remove the wheel and check out the frame visually. Then stick another wheel on.

Then decided to wait until the Police come, in case they want to see it.

Going to have a word with the guys at my local shop tomorrow. It’s a different brand shop to mine, but they have a good bunch of well trained lads and will be happy to check it out for me.

classic33

Leg End Member
My first thought was to remove the wheel and check out the frame visually. Then stick another wheel on.

Then decided to wait until the Police come, in case they want to see it.

Going to have a word with the guys at my local shop tomorrow. It’s a different brand shop to mine, but they have a good bunch of well trained lads and will be happy to check it out for me.
Get a written quote for repairs.

Covered in the thread linked already.

Top Bottom