Hit and Runs reported at London Critical Mass.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Dunno how many CMs you've been on sabian, I've done a few, there was no rage, people were laughing and tourists were taking photos. The cops on bikes that patrolled the ride were brilliant.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
You can't compare a girl walking home in a short skirt then being raped to this. Not even close. Not all girls who are raped and not all rape victims are girls either. Don't be ridiculous.
Re-read your previous post about what contributed to the hit and run.

I'm not blaming them at all - everybody has the right to stand up for what they believe in and that's fine, I just think that the message CM rides promotes (or tries to) could be better put across than bringing a capital city that's already bad enough traffic wise to a halt.
Re-read your previous post about what contributed to the hit and run.

You were victim blaming, and now are getting annoyed for being pulled up on it.

RedRider

Pulling through
I just think that the message CM rides promotes (or tries to) could be better put across than bringing a capital city that's already bad enough traffic wise to a halt.
That can be a positive and assertive message too, it depends how you look at it. You're right about the bad traffic tho. It can take me ten minutes to walk across the road to go to my local shop which is 20 meters away.

sabian92

Über Member
Dunno how many CMs you've been on sabian, I've done a few, there was no rage, people were laughing and tourists were taking photos. The cops on bikes that patrolled the ride were brilliant.

None as there are none near me that I could reasonably go to, but I wouldn't go anyway. There might not be rage etc at the one you participated in but as we saw in this one people were getting mowed down.

Re-read your previous post about what contributed to the hit and run. You were victim blaming, and now are getting annoyed for being pulled up on it.

I don't need to re-read it; I know what I wrote. I also wrote that holding traffic up doesn't excuse some dick in a car running you over but then likewise you have no right holding him up either. He just wants to get home to his kids and wife - something we all ask for when some spanner SMIDSY's one of us or squeezes us at a pinch point.

Can't see what the problem is with that - we can't sit here going "But.. but I want to get home safely as well!" then turn around and go "lol u can't go home i'm a crusader for a cause" by holding the same guy up. See it from his point of view - he'll think (wrongly) that all cyclists are like that then pass on that view to somebody innocent by passing them with an inch of room or even knocking them off just because they took primary on a narrow road or whatever.

You can't ask for common courtesy then throw it back in their face. Doesn't work like that. Like I said - pride marches. Gay/bi/trans people all want equality and to be treated as normal people (and rightly so) but then parade around in next to nothing drunk and shagging around on pride marches. You can't ask to be treated exactly the same as everybody else if you're out dressed as a flamingo, shoot faced and wearing a jock strap with a rainbow flag as a cape.

That can be a positive and assertive message too, it depends how you look at it. You're right about the bad traffic tho. It can take me ten minutes to walk across the road to go to my local shop which is 20 meters away.

It can be but I just think that doing it by holding up a city of 8 million people isn't really the best way of doing it.

Gay/bi/trans people all want equality and to be treated as normal people (and rightly so) but then parade around in next to nothing drunk and shagging around on pride marches. You can't ask to be treated exactly the same as everybody else if you're out dressed as a flamingo, s*** faced and wearing a jock strap.

Blimey!

It's obviously impinged on your conscience and burned itself into your memory, where on earth did you see this striking image that made such an impression on you? You seem to have taken in quite a few details as you gazed, disgustedly.

sabian92

Über Member
Blimey!

It's obviously impinged on your conscience and burned itself into your memory, where on earth did you see this striking image that made such an impression on you? You seem to have taken in quite a few details as you gazed, disgustedly.

Disgustingly? :laugh: I may be engaged but I can still window shop ;)

sabian92

Über Member
Where did you window shop?

A pride march I went on when I was 16, 17ish. Went with a lesbian friend of mine. Not a prude by any stretch but my eyes were certainly opened that day :laugh:

Anyway, getting off topic. This is about Critical Mass, not my escapades at gay pride marches :laugh:

Those who see CM as a positive, inclusive, celebratory thing will continue to see it as that.

Those who see it as a pain in the neck and further proof that cyclists are selfish, self-centred nuicances and road hazards will continue to see it so.

Most people will just have a little smile (or frown) and find it quite sweet that the young people are so keen on their bicycles.

Supporters will cite their own imagined data about its positive effect and decriers will have equal and opposite data. Both will be convincing in the mind s of those who spout them.

In proving its worth largely to its own participants while eliciting the disapproval of many others, CM has yet to get beyond its own slightly onanistic origins.

It is likely it never will, although I am in no position to disapprove of it on those grounds. :ohmy:

Last edited:
Top Bottom