Hit and Runs reported at London Critical Mass.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's the people who bring their three piece suites with engine attached into central London and then complain about all the congestion that makes me yawn.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Well, you can, but 99% of the population just don't well... "get it".

I don't really care what people look like/dress like etc, but see it from the POV of a 65 year old man. Not quite the same opinion :laugh:

I have my own personal opinions on how I prefer to see people dressed, but they're my opinions only. If people prefer to dress how they want instead of how I want them to, I don't believe this means I should treat them differently. Sometimes I fall short of this lofty ideal[*], but that's my failure not theirs.

[*] quite often, I expect

raindog

er.....
I don't really care what people look like/dress like etc, but see it from the POV of a 65 year old man. Not quite the same opinion :laugh:
Agree absolutely - a 65 year old man (why only a man?) would have grown up through free love, the hippy era and the social and cultural changes of the 1960s and would probably be much less susceptible to shock than a repressed head-stuck-up-the-@rse member of a younger generation. ^_^:becool:

benb

Evidence based cyclist
It is not the thread that disinterests me, it is the lame comparison between critical mass and general motorised traffic that makes me *yawn*.

How is it lame? Are you saying motorised traffic doesn't cause worse congestion than CM could ever do?
Some people are very keen to criticise CM, but are quite happy to accept the much worse congestion caused every day by too many cars on the road.

tmesis

How is it lame? Are you saying motorised traffic doesn't cause worse congestion than CM could ever do?
Some people are very keen to criticise CM, but are quite happy to accept the much worse congestion caused every day by too many cars on the road.

At a critical mass, the congestion appears to be a primary objective. The worse congestion of the rush hour is incidental. This makes a big difference to people's perception of the congestion..

D

Deleted member 26715

Serious question for you lot that live darn sarf in the hovel that is called London, do CM advertise which days/nights/evenings whenever time of day that they do whatever they do before hand, is it commonly known about, in that I mean would the average man in the street know it is going to happen say next Wednesday evening at 6pm or is it all done in secret & then sprung on the populus?
Alan...

sabian92

Über Member

Traffic jam = part of getting from A to B. Not holding anybody up but themselves.

Critical mass = dicks trying to promote a cause by holding people up because have nothing better to do.

What if Joe Bloggs is rushing Jo Bloggs to hospital in labour in the car? No sirens, and you're potentially putting that baby at risk because "hurr durr we wantz moar room lol"

D

Deleted member 26715

Last Friday of the month. Meet up near the NFT, South Bank.
So in their defence if it is common knowledge or at least if I knew it was happening on my way home I would ensure that I went a different way, or is that too far out of the box? Although I have o idea where the South Bank is presumably the South bank of the Thames but could not guess what NFT is.

Alan...

RedRider

Pulling through
Those who see CM as a positive, inclusive, celebratory thing will continue to see it as that.

Those who see it as a pain in the neck and further proof that cyclists are selfish, self-centred nuicances and road hazards will continue to see it so.

Most people will just have a little smile (or frown) and find it quite sweet that the young people are so keen on their bicycles.
Agreed, it's all that and more. Like the pride events it can be liberating, assertive and outrageous. All good things in my book. To reduce it to 'annoys motorists' is simple-minded simplistic.

Last edited:

RedRider

Pulling through
Traffic jam = part of getting from A to B. Not holding anybody up but themselves.

Critical mass = dicks trying to promote a cause by holding people up because have nothing better to do.

What if Joe Bloggs is rushing Jo Bloggs to hospital in labour in the car? No sirens, and you're potentially putting that baby at risk because "hurr durr we wantz moar room lol"
My God, will nobody think of the unborn kids!

Despite Critical Mass running every last Friday of the month for nineteen years there hasn't been one single incident of a child's birth being delayed.

Top Bottom