Hit by a car like a rugby lineman

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lane

Veteran
Hazard lights are usually code for 'I don't know what I'm doing, I don't know where I'm going, I could go anywhere, I'm not going to signal properly, I'm probably not looking, and I'm an entitled nobber. Stay well away from me, I have deliberately made my manoeuvring completely unpredictable and I am a hazard because I have conciously and unnecessarily chosen to make myself one.'

Not sure what her ethnicity has to do with anything.

Spot on there I think. Mrs Lane was reversed into by a car with it's hazard lights on, while she was stationary in queue. Bloody insurance said it was 50/50 because the other car had it's hazard lights on!

winjim

Smash the cistern
Spot on there I think. Mrs Lane was reversed into by a car with it's hazard lights on, while she was stationary in queue. Bloody insurance said it was 50/50 because the other car had it's hazard lights on!
I felt ever so self righteous the other week when my car went into limp mode on the motorway and I actually got to use my hazard lights for their intended purpose.

Drago

Legendary Member
I felt ever so self righteous the other week when my car went into limp mode on the motorway and I actually got to use my hazard lights for their intended purpose.
Blimey, that's so rare it should have made the papers.

"MOTORIST, 83, USES HAZARD LIGHTS CORRECTLY - AUTHORITIES STUNNED."

The headline will naturally be accompanied with an embarassing photo stolen from your facebook page that makes you look really fat.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Blimey, that's so rare it should have made the papers.

"MOTORIST, 83, USES HAZARD LIGHTS CORRECTLY - AUTHORITIES STUNNED."

The headline will naturally be accompanied with an embarassing photo stolen from your facebook page that makes you look really fat.
I'd be upset if it made me look 83.

Lovacott

Über Member
Having been knocked off by a close passing motorist many years ago, I now treat every encounter with a car as a potential accident.

I always assume that I haven't been seen at junctions and I always assume that parked cars are either going to pull out in front of me or open their drivers side door into my face.

The majority of drivers are pretty good with cyclists but the law of averages states that sooner or later you will encounter a half wit without a clue.

So the safest way to cycle is to assume that all drivers are half wits without a clue.

PK99

Legendary Member
Having been knocked off by a close passing motorist many years ago, I now treat every encounter with a car as a potential accident.

I always assume that I haven't been seen at junctions and I always assume that parked cars are either going to pull out in front of me or open their drivers side door into my face.

The majority of drivers are pretty good with cyclists but the law of averages states that sooner or later you will encounter a half wit without a clue.

So the safest way to cycle is to assume that all drivers are half wits without a clue.

... and many cyclists too!

All uphill

Still rolling along

That's a pretty good rule for all situations where you are around the general public; shops, cycling, driving or just sitting on a park bench.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I think this is America based on the language the OP uses.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

Same here ! Very wary of cars, especially as it's taken my 5 years to get back on a road bike after nearly ending up in a different set of 'wheels' (wheel chair). I'm very cautious around junctions, especially if there is a car near one. I'm usually on the brakes !

lejogger

Guru
This thread is an amusing example of an OP understandably venting frustration (at having been splatted by a motor vehicle on this occasion), and then being monumentally surprised, not only at not receiving overwhelming sympathy, but also at how swiftly their own actions (cycling technique on this occasion) were mercilessly critiqued by the gang they felt sure would be on their side.

FWIW I have as much sympathy with the OP as I have understanding of the posts that followed. Of course it's natural to want to shout your frustrations when you've had a scary incident. However, it generally seems to be felt on here that if it's got to the stage of there being an actual collision, there must have been prior opportunities for the cyclist to mitigate their risk. And, as the more vulnerable road user if not their 'responsibility', it's certainly in the cyclist's best interests to do so.

I was hit by cars on two consecutive days of my commute a couple of years back, and even have the GoPro footage for reassessment purposes and for when I want to see my own legs flying through the air.
I'd be uncomfortable posting them here (or anywhere) however. My blinkers have me firmly 'in the right' on both occasions, and I guarantee that there would be a raft of differing opinions, mostly telling me what a terrible cyclist I am. I wouldn't enjoy blame being apportioned to me, regardless of whether any was deserved. Hindsight is wonderful. ^_^
(I have shown them to family and friends for 'gasp' value, and most seem to be on my side 😉)

We all manage our own risk, and make reasonable adjustments to our riding styles to safeguard us from harm... while not getting so cautious (in what is a very dangerous world) that we don't end up walking on the pavement, wheeling our bikes alongside us because it's too scary to climb on board, or even sat in bed with our crash helmets on (for those that own them).

This isn't a criticism or defence of any posts on here by the way. I just find it interesting, except when similar happens on Jeremy Vine's twitter feed. All the shouting of polar opposite opinions about cars v bikes just makes me want to curl up into a ball.

OP
OP
Cycling_Samurai

Cycling_Samurai

This thread is an amusing example of an OP understandably venting frustration (at having been splatted by a motor vehicle on this occasion), and then being monumentally surprised, not only at not receiving overwhelming sympathy, but also at how swiftly their own actions (cycling technique on this occasion) were mercilessly critiqued by the gang they felt sure would be on their side.

FWIW I have as much sympathy with the OP as I have understanding of the posts that followed. Of course it's natural to want to shout your frustrations when you've had a scary incident. However, it generally seems to be felt on here that if it's got to the stage of there being an actual collision, there must have been prior opportunities for the cyclist to mitigate their risk. And, as the more vulnerable road user if not their 'responsibility', it's certainly in the cyclist's best interests to do so.
You most correctly assessed things. I needed to get differing input to sort out my own thinking. In the future will slow a little in similar situations. Most cars don't have hazard lights on as they simply feel entitled to park in the bike lane.

I was actually surprised that I kept my avg up because of the strong wind

Top Bottom