Hit by a car like a rugby lineman

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lejogger

Guru
You most correctly assessed things. I needed to get differing input to sort out my own thinking. In the future will slow a little in similar situations. Most cars don't have hazard lights on as they simply feel entitled to park in the bike lane.

I was actually surprised that I kept my avg up because of the strong wind
For your specific example, I think I would have slowed a lot rather than a little, for the following reason:

If a car is on a straight open road, giving absolutely no indication that it's doing anything other than carry on in a straight line, and unless there's little chance it could do anything other than carry on in a straight line... except if the driver has a stroke - or is perhaps giving himself a stroke, then you can probably carry on without slowing.

If a car is approaching a hazard where you think it might do something silly without indication (and you're in the way if it does), then fully expect it to do something silly, perhaps slow a little, and anticipate evasive action being required.

If a car is parked in your lane, especially if it has hazard lights on, and especially if it suddenly starts to make erratic movements into other lanes, then it's probably wise to slow (maybe to a stop), wait for it to finish its faffing about, then carry on cautiously once it's decided what it's doing, and then preferably finished doing it.

While it's nice to maintain your preferred speed when that's the sort of thing that floats your boat, sometimes shoot happens, you log a slightly slower time, and then you hope for better luck next time.

I admit that I don't know rugby
Nor do the current England rugby team! :whistle:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
They are all, and I repeat, ALL trying to kill you. Remember that and you will be a lot safer.

It certainly helped me avoid many, many potentially lethal incidents while urban cycle commuting over the years. Didn't stop one slipping through the net and hospitalising me 3 yrs ago, but that was an extraordinary event and I still believe there was something odd about the drivers account of the incident as they really did appear from nowhere!!!

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
They are all, and I repeat, ALL trying to kill you. Remember that and you will be a lot safer.

It certainly helped me avoid many, many potentially lethal incidents while urban cycle commuting over the years. Didn't stop one slipping through the net and hospitalising me 3 yrs ago, but that was an extraordinary event and I still believe there was something odd about the drivers account of the incident as they really did appear from nowhere!!!

Did the driver look this this guy?

Doc_Brown.jpg

rualexander

Legendary Member
Yeah I'm thinking that through. It probably would have been a more prudent approach. One I didn't know why car was parked in the bike path. Which is illegal. Two didn't expect the mini van would pull a sharp left across two lanes (three lane road). At which point I made the assumption that the vehicle was attempting to into the opposite lanes of traffic. Three given two I really didn't expect the vehicle to back up. Four in hindsight I surmised what the lady had been attempting. Didn't understand that prior to. But through it all I did the legal and correct thing.

Ok so daily I see people parked in the bike lanes eventhough it's illegal. Daily I just go around them with no incident. If the lady had done what she did leaving me ample room to see what she was attempting then I might have stopped. I have been riding motorcycle for 23 years. With limited braking distance swerving is text book the better option. So I'm more inclined to swerve than brake or slow down. Given the close space and speed. Adrenaline might have influenced my choice.

I don't thank any input.
The initial description in the OP and this description above are hard to make sense of.
Where does 'the mini van' come into the equation?
The car pulled out into the traffic lanes and then backed into him as he was passing it, and the passenger side pushed his shoulder :wacko:

DRM

Guru
The initial description in the OP and this description above are hard to make sense of.
The car pulled out into the traffic lanes and then backed into him as he was passing it, and the passenger side pushed his shoulder :wacko:
I believe it's in the U.S, a mini van is a type of MPV car, it sounds as if the vehicle tried to do a U turn, was unable to do it in one go, so backed up to do a 3 point turn as they used to be known, now referred to as change direction of the vehicle by the use of forward and reverse gears, in the UK driving test

Not specific to cycling

but the problem with seeing someone with hazard lights on is that if they decide to move off it is very easy to start up, look in the mirror and all that

then signal to move off into traffic - and move off into a gap that seems big enough
assuming they know you are moving off because you are signalling

but - your hazards are still on - so your signal has no effect and the vehicle approaching is suddenly surprised when you move off with no warning

easy to do

add in drivers not seeing cyclists and you see where I am going

Anyway - whole thing does seem a bit harsh on the OP
it was the drivers fault - cyclist COULD have been a bit more defensive and assumed something would happen
but it does sound a bit like victim blaming
was the OP wearing a revealing top???

and all that

reason for this post - I am normally a "assume all drivers are in a main battle tank and are on dope and busy putting disc in the CD player" type of person - but today a car came up to a junction while I was approaching it and slowed down - then sped up just before I got there - then saw me am stopped quickly
Hmmm - hadn't seen me in spite of hi-vis coat and 2 flashing front lights - but anyway I would normally have seen that in advance and slowed - didn't this time so clearly I was not properly alert
but still the drivers fault if anything had happened

we can't be totally defensive all the time

Drago

Legendary Member
This thread is an amusing example of an OP understandably venting frustration (at having been splatted by a motor vehicle on this occasion), and then being monumentally surprised, not only at not receiving overwhelming sympathy, but also at how swiftly their own actions (cycling technique on this occasion) were mercilessly critiqued by the gang they felt sure would be on their side.

FWIW I have as much sympathy with the OP as I have understanding of the posts that followed. Of course it's natural to want to shout your frustrations when you've had a scary incident. However, it generally seems to be felt on here that if it's got to the stage of there being an actual collision, there must have been prior opportunities for the cyclist to mitigate their risk. And, as the more vulnerable road user if not their 'responsibility', it's certainly in the cyclist's best interests to do so.

I was hit by cars on two consecutive days of my commute a couple of years back, and even have the GoPro footage for reassessment purposes and for when I want to see my own legs flying through the air.
I'd be uncomfortable posting them here (or anywhere) however. My blinkers have me firmly 'in the right' on both occasions, and I guarantee that there would be a raft of differing opinions, mostly telling me what a terrible cyclist I am. I wouldn't enjoy blame being apportioned to me, regardless of whether any was deserved. Hindsight is wonderful. ^_^
(I have shown them to family and friends for 'gasp' value, and most seem to be on my side 😉)

We all manage our own risk, and make reasonable adjustments to our riding styles to safeguard us from harm... while not getting so cautious (in what is a very dangerous world) that we don't end up walking on the pavement, wheeling our bikes alongside us because it's too scary to climb on board, or even sat in bed with our crash helmets on (for those that own them).

This isn't a criticism or defence of any posts on here by the way. I just find it interesting, except when similar happens on Jeremy Vine's twitter feed. All the shouting of polar opposite opinions about cars v bikes just makes me want to curl up into a ball.
Except that I made it very clear that the driver was herself a chump.

But it must also be borne in mind that simply because someone is righteous and enlightened enough to ride a bicycle that they cannot bring about their own bad fortune. We do no instantly become paragon of virtue, unable to do any wrong, blameless in even the most teckless scenario, simply because we ride bikes.

So no, a pragmatic observarion from someone who teaches these skills to professional riders, not a Daily Maliesque dose of victim blaming. He shouldn't have been knocked off, but if he hadn't willingly put himself in that position he would not have been knocked off.

That's a practical assessment of the situation as described - I leave lessons in morals to Moses and my Mum.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cycling_Samurai

Cycling_Samurai

Nor do the current England rugby team! :whistle:
Then I have a shot at being on the team! Nice!

Lovacott

Über Member
But it must also be borne in mind that simply because someone is righteous and enlightened enough to ride a bicycle that they cannot bring about their own bad fortune. We do no instantly become paragon of virtue, unable to do any wrong, blameless in even the most teckless scenario, simply because we ride bikes.
If I leave my front door open when I go out, I shouldn't be surprised if I come home to find my house burgled. The burglar is 100% in the wrong, but I could have prevented the crime by simply locking the front door.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Not specific to cycling

but the problem with seeing someone with hazard lights on is that if they decide to move off it is very easy to start up, look in the mirror and all that

then signal to move off into traffic - and move off into a gap that seems big enough
assuming they know you are moving off because you are signalling

but - your hazards are still on - so your signal has no effect and the vehicle approaching is suddenly surprised when you move off with no warning

easy to do

add in drivers not seeing cyclists and you see where I am going

Anyway - whole thing does seem a bit harsh on the OP
it was the drivers fault - cyclist COULD have been a bit more defensive and assumed something would happen
but it does sound a bit like victim blaming
was the OP wearing a revealing top???

and all that

reason for this post - I am normally a "assume all drivers are in a main battle tank and are on dope and busy putting disc in the CD player" type of person - but today a car came up to a junction while I was approaching it and slowed down - then sped up just before I got there - then saw me am stopped quickly
Hmmm - hadn't seen me in spite of hi-vis coat and 2 flashing front lights - but anyway I would normally have seen that in advance and slowed - didn't this time so clearly I was not properly alert
but still the drivers fault if anything had happened

we can't be totally defensive all the time
A large part of roadcraft is mitigating the effect of other people's mistakes.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Ah I'm glad it's not only me. I've got two very differing images of what happened. Consequently I find it difficult to judge what the OP should or should not have done.

lejogger

Guru
Except that I made it very clear that the driver was herself a chump.

So no, a pragmatic observarion from someone who teaches these skills to professional riders, not a Daily Maliesque dose of victim blaming. He shouldn't have been knocked off, but if he hadn't willingly put himself in that position he would not have been knocked off.

That's a practical assessment of the situation as described - I leave lessons in morals to Moses and my Mum.
If my post gave the impression that I was criticising your reply, that wasn't the intention.

I support your assessment of the scenario, and I think my original (and subsequent) posts reflect that... or tried to... perhaps clumsily.

It's important that we're challenged and that as a community we help each other to be as safe as possible on the roads. If we live in an echo chamber, where we all stick together and condemn the other party (MOTORISTS), regardless of truth, we'll all continue to make the same mistakes.

I was simply amused that to the OP, the thread probably took off on a different trajectory to the one they anticipated when they originally decided to share... as lots of them tend to do. And I have sympathy for that, because I could see the same happening if I were to post descriptions of my prior scrapes, hoping to find comfort and solace amongst my kin. 10 or so years ago, I probably would started a very similar thread.

I'm sure you could legitimately find many faults in my footage, and even though I strongly feel that the motorists were 'at fault', there is definitely plenty that I could have done to avoid the collisions... with hindsight, some more caution, and applying experience.

I find that even as an experienced cyclist, if you don't have any/many incidents it's easy to find yourself in a comfort zone. Then you may have a near miss, which sharpens your senses for a time.

Being a cyclist is an ever evolving journey, picking up experience and wisdom along the way. I'm sure many of us have had phases of chasing PBs (regardless and oblivious to anything else), perennial anger at motor vehicles, over-exuberant use of 'primary' position etc. and at some point we look back and wonder why we rode that way.

Top Bottom