Hit & Run - 15 year old..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ouch! Sending healing vibes to your lad @jamin100 :hugs:

OP
OP
jamin100

jamin100

Guru
Thanks all.

he’ll be ok and I’ll get him back on the road in time. He’s hopefully (if it’s not cancelled) got cross season coming up in September so that gives him something to aim for..

As for the police / CCTV etc. Unfortunately there are not any that point on the island in question. We’ve been round to all the local shops today. All we know was it was a small silver car with blacked out windows.. which around here could be any of the million boy racers...

Our insurance is pretty good, he wrote off his carbon bike on the track 10 months ago (I know I can’t believe it either) and they paid out without issue.

then come renewal time, the premium was the same as the year before, so I was quite pleased. The policy also has excess protection so we wouldn’t be out of pocket. As for the bike, well after writing off a carbon frame last year, this time round he had an aluminium Specialized allez sprint. The frame looks ok to me but I’ll have the LBS check it over. The rear wheel is toast and all is 105 components heavily scratched. The insurance will put all those right..

classic33

Leg End Member
They needed the details of the driver and their car. Otherwise they couldn't claim back off them / pay out.
There's an untraceable drivers form. I'd to fill both forms, and I've never had car insurance, because the details given didn't match, and the police were unwilling to follow it up.

@jamin100, download both forms. They're similar in the questions asked, but not the way.

Hope there's no lasting injury and that he'll be back on a bike soon.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
he’ll be ok and I’ll get him back on the road in time. He’s hopefully (if it’s not cancelled) got cross season coming up in September so that gives him something to aim for..

West Midlands cross league is cancelled I believe, according to my son's team, although there's some solo events planned.

Slick

Guru
Obviously huge assumptions being made by me, but I reckon that's just the way the young team roll, an absolute inability to take any responsibility for their own actions and if caught will blame anyone within a 100 yard radius. Shame

Glad he's making a recovery, hopefully nothing longer term will affect his future enjoyment.

alvintc

Veteran
They needed the details of the driver and their car. Otherwise they couldn't claim back off them / pay out.

When I got knocked off (about 6 years ago), car overtook me then turned left (same left I'd already slowed for!) wiping out my front before buggering off into the distance.

My description was "small white car with multi-coloured flowers on it" - never traced but MIB did pay out (even had someone come round to look at the stuff I said was broken).

OP
OP
jamin100

jamin100

Guru
When I got knocked off (about 6 years ago), car overtook me then turned left (same left I'd already slowed for!) wiping out my front before buggering off into the distance.

My description was "small white car with multi-coloured flowers on it" - never traced but MIB did pay out (even had someone come round to look at the stuff I said was broken).

How long did the process take ?

Drago

Legendary Member
I know someone had a stone wall demolished by a fail-to-stop scumbag and tha MIB did cough, though I don't know how long it took.

Then whole point of the MIB is that it's for uninsured or unidentified drivers. They will faff and fob off, and a lot of people will fall for their excuses, but stick with it and they have to cough.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Avoid coughers...

From the Wikipedia MIB page:
The Untraced Drivers Agreement (hit and run) scheme
This scheme applies to the victims of hit and run driver accidents. Where the driver deemed to be responsible for an accident, leaves the scene and is not traced, the MIB will consider a claim for compensation in respect of both property and personal injury damages. There are a number of restrictions imposed with this scheme not least the fact that one cannot recover legal fees in full.

Last edited:

johnnyb47

Guru
Thank goodness your son is relatively ok after this awful accident. Being hit by a car and the driver stopping is bad enough, but to drive off not knowing what they've left behind is truly appalling, and hope the police catch this scumbag and throw the book at them.
Have you ever considered getting a Go Pro or something similar for your son. With the large amount of miles he does, it may be worth it.. When an accident like this occurs, it happens all to quickly to take mental notes of vehicle registrations and circumstances and a Go Pro could offer invaluable information as to who they where and how it happened.
I hope you're son makes a speedy recovery and that it hasn't knocked his confidence to much.
All the very best to him👍

alvintc

Veteran
How long did the process take ?

We're going back a ways but I want to say less than a couple of months tops. Let me see if I've got any emails from then

Edit:
HAHAHAHAHA - my memory & estimates are crap.

Crash was in December 2014, was handled by slater&gordon (BC membership covered me). Was settled in October 2015 (a little over 5k).

Last edited:
Top Bottom