Hitting a wall at 160bpm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
That happened to me about ten years back. I'd had a cold that had obviously messed with my heart rate and caused me to hit MHR where I wouldn't normally. The symptoms of hitting MHR are feeling hot, sick, very out of breath and rather wobbly, so I did the worst thing possible: stopped, got off the bike, and stood still. Next thing I knew, I was lying on my back in someone's driveway with a new bruise on the back of my head. The "coming back online" sensations were weird - the street lights appeared first, then outlines of shapes, and finally everything else came into view. I rode the rest of the way to work cautiously and had an ECG and mini-medical at the GP that night but there was nothing wrong.

What happens is that the blood pools in your legs, your brain runs short, and you faint. If you get the MHR symptoms, either keep riding slowly so your legs are still moving, or get off the bike and lie down (however weird this may appear to passers-by). Fainting isn't dangerous but falling on your head, when you're unconscious so can't put your arms out to save yourself, could cause serious damage.

Alan O

Über Member
That happened to me about ten years back. I'd had a cold that had obviously messed with my heart rate and caused me to hit MHR where I wouldn't normally. The symptoms of hitting MHR are feeling hot, sick, very out of breath and rather wobbly, so I did the worst thing possible: stopped, got off the bike, and stood still. Next thing I knew, I was lying on my back in someone's driveway with a new bruise on the back of my head. The "coming back online" sensations were weird - the street lights appeared first, then outlines of shapes, and finally everything else came into view. I rode the rest of the way to work cautiously and had an ECG and mini-medical at the GP that night but there was nothing wrong.

What happens is that the blood pools in your legs, your brain runs short, and you faint. If you get the MHR symptoms, either keep riding slowly so your legs are still moving, or get off the bike and lie down (however weird this may appear to passers-by). Fainting isn't dangerous but falling on your head, when you're unconscious so can't put your arms out to save yourself, could cause serious damage.
I've had a few more occasions recently when I've had to stop on steep hills. But rather than my previous approach of pushing until I reach my limit and then coming to a dead stop and standing still (and then suffering the dizzy spell), I've been stopping a bit earlier and then walking a bit to keep my legs moving. Result = no dizziness.

Top Bottom