Hobbies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

young Ed

Veteran
Hope not. Bow hunting has been illegal in UK since 1965
looks like i won't be trying it all too soon either then, i did have a feeling after ii posted that that i might have heard from someone somewhere that it's illegal. shame because i reckon it could be good fun!
This is the only rifle that young Ed should be trusted with..

Barrel_Break_IX-2.jpg

I worry about the pleasure that he gets from annihilating the fauna in his neighbourhood.
no, i want to be trusted with a great big .243 bolt action rifle with a mag and a nice night vision scope set up. preferably one i can stick an SD card in to record what i am seeing through the scope and then i can upload my best shots of vaporising bunnies to here for all yours enjoyment! :smile:

whilst i do quite enjoy shooting and hunting and the proper organised pheasant shoots are great fun my main reason for shooting is pest control, an ever lasting but essential job so one i won't be giving up any time soon!
Cheers Ed

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
looks like a stunner! you might have to send me some pics when she is finally finished! although knowing most vehicle projects that could be a while! :tongue:
you also doing a full mechanical overhaul of engine, gearbox, diff etc?

sorry to thread jack!
Cheers Ed

Engine I think is OK. It has had a previous overhaul. Checked the bearings and they look OK. Will change the timing chains while the engine is out, but the water pump I think will be changed to a belt driven one. Water pump is the Stag's achiles heel. Diff leaked before I removed it, but I think I know the problem there.
Would like a ZF gearbox to give me a lower revs at cruising speed, but that might be on the wish list, along with metered fuel injection using the existing carb bodies.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Engine I think is OK. It has had a previous overhaul. Checked the bearings and they look OK. Will change the timing chains while the engine is out, but the water pump I think will be changed to a belt driven one. Water pump is the Stag's achiles heel. Diff leaked before I removed it, but I think I know the problem there.
Would like a ZF gearbox to give me a lower revs at cruising speed, but that might be on the wish list, along with metered fuel injection using the existing carb bodies.
I always thought the heads were the Achilles heel .

Ongoing, (much to SWMBO's irritation).
Had it dipped to see what i was working with,then off to night school to learn about welding.
Been on hold for the last 12 months due to building work on my house. Nearing the end of the bodywork and hope to get it resprayed this year. Then start putting it all back together!
Should be good when its finished. I had one a few years ago with a Rover V8 conversion, glorious noise. I've seen it a couple of times in the intervening years, one of the owners had gone back to a Triumph engine, but not the V8 - a 2.5 straight 6

looks like i won't be trying it all too soon either then, i did have a feeling after ii posted that that i might have heard from someone somewhere that it's illegal. shame because i reckon it could be good fun!
Shooting a stationary target isn't that easy - I was target shooting recurve around 5 years ago. Compound bows are a different beast.
Have a think about field archery. Simulated bow hunting without the gore.

Last edited:

Bazzer

I always thought the heads were the Achilles heel .

If there is a water leak, the water pump sitting in the vee means no water gets circulated. If there is water starvation the engine overheats and the heads can warp.
Getting the heads off for whatever reason can be a sod of a job, but that is another issue.

If there is a water leak, the water pump sitting in the vee means no water gets circulated. If there is water starvation the engine overheats and the heads can warp.
Getting the heads off for whatever reason can be a sod of a job, but that is another issue.
From memory of discussions in the owners club it was thought some of the initial problems with cooling when they were new was down to quality control, in that the water spaces in the block were not being flushed out of casting sand completely. Reckoned it wasn't unusual to find a layer of sand in the bottom of the radiator.

classic33

Leg End Member
Hope not. Bow hunting has been illegal in UK since 1965
@young Ed
The legislation says that no bow or crossbow may be used, but doesn't actually say no arrow may be used!
TJ Mason. Club: Phoenix Bowmen, Halifax, County: Yorkshire

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
@young Ed you could try shooting at something that is extremely sneaky and will shoot back. Almost certainly smarter than you. Airsoft. Got a mate who does it regularly. Variety of realistic looking weapons to keep you happy, even grenades, claymores and mini guns available.

Perhaps I shouldn't be encouraging him.

Let his targets have live ammo.

It will add a frisson of excitement.

young Ed

Veteran
nice! depends how you are with engines but even if it has had a full head rebuild by some one i don't know and don't know their level of competence i would just whip the head off and check/set valves and bits like that and clean it all out and check condition of the top of pistons and cylinder linings etc whip the spark plugs out and check the gap and replace if they look at all worn really
TBH it's just cheap easy jobs like that that i always do just because i find them fun :tongue: and they don't take long to just check the standard of someone elses work and give you a bit more confidence in it
@young Ed
The legislation says that no bow or crossbow may be used, but doesn't actually say no arrow may be used!
TJ Mason. Club: Phoenix Bowmen, Halifax, County: Yorkshire
i expect i could invent some new device for firing arrows at high speed/force! that isn't strictly a bow or crossbow :smile:
He could always throw the arrows at his prey.
better get practicing!
@young Ed you could try shooting at something that is extremely sneaky and will shoot back. Almost certainly smarter than you. Airsoft. Got a mate who does it regularly. Variety of realistic looking weapons to keep you happy, even grenades, claymores and mini guns available.

Perhaps I shouldn't be encouraging him.
thing is you don't kill any pests that need killing with air soft :sad: as i say half the reason i shoot is pest control!
Cheers Ed

Bazzer

From memory of discussions in the owners club it was thought some of the initial problems with cooling when they were new was down to quality control, in that the water spaces in the block were not being flushed out of casting sand completely. Reckoned it wasn't unusual to find a layer of sand in the bottom of the radiator.

Yes there were QC issues when they were built and sand in the block has been found by some owners. For some owners (not all), the cooling system runs on the limit and is vulnerable, particularly in slow moving traffic.
The problems are known, as are the causes and owners have found solutions that work.

Top Bottom