Holding onto people's cars - do you do it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Proterty fetchism? Do me favour. It's called having respect for other people and their property. I've had 3 door mirrors kicked off my car in the last 2 years @ 300 quid a pop, is trying to look after MY property still a fetish?
OK, suppose you were dragging a wheeled suitcase down the pavement and somebody touched it or knocked it. Would you go apeshit?? Cars are similarly out there in the public arena. What makes them so different, apart from their perceived financial value?

There is a strange double standard, people will go off if you touch their car but think nothing of moving parked bicycle if it is in their way.

Bman

Guru
OK, suppose you were dragging a wheeled suitcase down the pavement and somebody touched it or knocked it. Would you go apeshit?? Cars are similarly out there in the public arena. What makes them so different, apart from their perceived financial value?

No. but there is only so many times I can shrugg off one of these running over my foot :cursing:

One day.........

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
It's quite simple, if it bleongs to somebody else and you don't have permission don't TOUCH it. If you have absoleutly no other option but to touch it and you could justify touching it in acourt of law, then be prepared to either get out of the way fast and avoid any physical confrontation. Or be totally confident in your own ability to handle that confrontation and it's consequences!

400bhp

Guru
I did it yesterday :whistle:

Some pleb taxi driver pulled out from a side street on the opposite side of the road going in my direction. He'd clearly seen me and DGAF. Cue the inevitable catch up at a set of lights 1/2 a mile down the road. His DGAF attitude and the fact he was in the ASL meant I had no choice but to balance using the roof of his car. :whistle:

I blame this thread for my actions - if it wasn't for this thread I would never have thought of doing it. :whistle:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I did it yesterday :whistle:

Some pleb taxi driver pulled out from a side street on the opposite side of the road going in my direction. He'd clearly seen me and DGAF. Cue the inevitable catch up at a set of lights 1/2 a mile down the road. His DGAF attitude and the fact he was in the ASL meant I had no choice but to balance using the roof of his car. :whistle:

I blame this thread for my actions - if it wasn't for this thread I would never have thought of doing it. :whistle:
:thumbsup:Never forget you have a choice:whistle:

Reactions: gaz

scouserinlondon

In response to the question in the OP, short answer is 'no farking way' I live and cycle in South London, you get stabbed in the face for less in these parts. If you were to lean on a rudebwoys car you'd be asking for a shanking.

Reactions: gaz

Fat B'stard

Regular
Seriously, guys?

Fair enough if they just chucked it on top but if people took that attitude on the train on my way to work no one would get anywhere. That guy's BSO is worth as much to him as my custom build is to me and as long as he's careful he can put his bike where he damn well likes.

There was a guy who often took my train last summer, classic MAMIL in team kit with an italian carbon road bike. Used to go nuts if anyone put their bike anywhere near his. Conductor gave him short shrift when he witnessed him harassing some poor girl who dared to put her CX bike next to it.

MAMIL ??????

theclaud

Openly Marxist
It's quite simple, if it bleongs to somebody else and you don't have permission don't TOUCH it. If you have absoleutly no other option but to touch it and you could justify touching it in acourt of law, then be prepared to either get out of the way fast and avoid any physical confrontation. Or be totally confident in your own ability to handle that confrontation and it's consequences!

What a load of cobblers!

theclaud

Openly Marxist
All of it, a bit of it? C'mon Claude explain!

It's obviously nonsense to suggest that you need permission merely to touch anything that belongs to someone else. Whether it's intrusive or ill-mannered or not depends entirely on context. I regularly move other people's luggage on trains, for example, if it's thoughtlessly placed/causing an obstruction. Should I be expecting to be punched or arrested?

Top Bottom