Holding onto people's cars - do you do it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
1788303 said:
I thought I had made it clear that I have no problem with touching people's cars if I feel it warranted.

Umm... I just write without thinking. I like the sound of my own fingers on a keyboard. Yes, you'd put something I failed to spot about folding mirrors out. And why not? That isn't like using cars to rest on in traffic. I don't find it rude at all.

The joke there (if it is a joke) is that someone driving around with their door mirrors folded is someone who doesn't use their door mirrors.

Left as they are, folded out or snapped off; it will make no difference if they haven't noticed they're folded in the first place. :laugh:

Motorists... Pffff.... What are they like?

Perhaps to settle this we should all go around this weekend leaning on other people's property and seeing what the reaction is. Try fences, walls, cars, trucks, trains, buses, dogs, busty ladies, the neighbour's front door, maybe a police car or two (which will satisfy the legal position).
Then we'll all compare our experiences (if able) on Monday.
How's that for an amicable solution?

I think Bicycle... erm I mean Boris was referring to the narrow description as per the OP's story. Which to be fair does not seem to be a warranted case of car touching.

Yes, I (he) was.

He (I) got himself (myself) de-registered because of some fairly offensive comments (not made to him/me) but then missed the forum and had to come back on in another guise.

Boris Bajic was one of the names under which I reserved hotel rooms and internal flights in the old Jugoslavia, when foreigners payed double for these things by law. I remain attached to the name. Sorry, was that a digression?

I agree with whatever the last poster said. Probably.

It depends who as got to close to whom, if someone thumps my roof then they can expect a thump in the mouth in return and the sex of the roof thumper wont matter a jot, sexual equality and all that.

That said you are welcome to lean on my motor as i dont give a tossd.

Sounds like an internet warrior. Would you really hit a woman for thumping your roof? I don't think so.

VamP

Banned
Sounds like an internet warrior. Would you really hit a woman for thumping your roof? I don't think so.

He's got himself boxed into a lose-lose space :laugh:

If he's exaggerating, he's an internet warrior. If he's being truthful then he's a lowlife.

Tosser. Sorry tossd.

I didn't suggest there's an awful lot of need for it. In fact I'm not sure it indicates very sensible positioning. But it's entirely harmless to the car and its occupants and no reason for them to get all twisty-knickered.

You're right it is entirely harmless however there is no need at all to touch another persons car when stationary at a red light as described in the OP. So simply don't do it in the first place!

theclaud

Openly Marxist
You're right it is entirely harmless however there is no need at all to touch another persons car when stationary at a red light as described in the OP. So simply don't do it in the first place!

There's no need to get all bossy about it. I don't feel any need to hang onto cars at lights, but if other people do, that seems OK to me. As Adrian says, there are all sorts of reason one might touch a car, and silly prohibitions about it only reinforce drivers' sense of entitlement to what is, after all, not actually their territory. Maybe we should do it a bit more, just so they learn to relax about it...

There's no need to get all bossy about it. I don't feel any need to hang onto cars at lights, but if other people do, that seems OK to me. As Adrian says, there are all sorts of reason one might touch a car, and silly prohibitions about it only reinforce drivers' sense of entitlement to what is, after all, not actually their territory. Maybe we should do it a bit more, just so they learn to relax about it...

Yes. Quite right. Up to a point. None of us seems to have seen it done, but the topic does seem to have heated up the inside of quite a few collars.

One might as well have a heated row about the right of penguins to roast marshmallow in the Sahara. For the record, I would be against them having that right.

I do see in some responses a willingness to blur the distinction between territory, space and property.... but as Claud says, it is not a matter to get heated about.

Just don't get me started on penguins roasting culturally inappropriate foodstuffs in an environment in whose climate they are ill-equipped to prosper.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Yes. Quite right. Up to a point. None of us seems to have seen it done, but the topic does seem to have heated up the inside of quite a few collars.

One might as well have a heated row about the right of penguins to roast marshmallow in the Sahara. For the record, I would be against them having that right.

I do see in some responses a willingness to blur the distinction between territory, space and property.... but as Claud says, it is not a matter to get heated about.

Just don't get me started on penguins roasting culturally inappropriate foodstuffs in an environment in whose climate they are ill-equipped to prosper.

I've seen it done. I've probably tried it, and not found it sufficiently useful or satisfying to try again. I scarcely remember, on account of it being of no importance to anyone except property fetishists and especially uptight motorists.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I can now confess I have done it.

The lovely Helen was driving her car when she passed me on the outskirts of town last night, excellent overtake btw, and then got caught at some temporary lights. She then ran a rolling road block behind me through the road works while I "mashed it in the big ring, fcuk yeah!".

Wonderful woman.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
1789786 said:
A few minutes ago a small boy walking past my bike on the platform at Southampton station had a play with the back lights, saddle, and brakes. I guess I could have beaten him for it.
drop kicking onto the live rail was too good for him.

some kind soul turned the lights off on my bike y'day evening and then came into the bar and told me. Should have chinned the mofo but I wasn't wearing a helmet. He said he thought it odd I'd have my lights on in broad daylight too.

I ain't being bossy and if people want to draw up non comparable scenarios to the OP that detract away from the original point being made and then whopee doo, another thread ruined.

The key thing here is necessity, and when to interfere with someone elses property. And at a red light there really should be no need.

Top Bottom