Hole in my pants

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbs

Guru
To be precise, a small cut/tear in the seat of my 3/4 tights. How best to repair? An iron-on tape?

Being a war baby has left me with a compulsion to stitch in time to save nine.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Have you tried sewing it :rolleyes:

Ian 74

Especially if you leave the needle in :thumbsup: :whistle:

rofl.gif

OP
OP
gbs

gbs

Guru
Lycra is going to be a pain in the arse to sew edge to edge.

Wonder web first, then sew the edges.

Ww seems to be available in white only. Black is preferable.

What sort of shop sells such stuff here in London - Dyas? I cannot remember when I last saw a haberdashery shop/dept.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
John Lewis will sell Wunda Web. It melts, so you won't see that it was white. Be really careful you don't melt your shorts when you iron it on though!

If it's not on an area that's going to chafe I'd try using nylon thread around the edge of the hole to stop it getting any bigger and then pop a patch over the top of it, again using nylon thread.

If you gently stretch the fabric round the hole as you sew the patch on it should have a bit of give and hopefully not pull when you wear them.

Arsen Gere

Über Member
I've torn a knee in some bottoms I use in the winter on the metal bits of the mudgard and repaired them by stitching it with the gather on the outside. That was two winters ago and the hole did not come back. No issues with chaffing, on black it does not show unless you look for it. It depends on the finish you are looking for.

Fiona N

Veteran
I usually just get a small piece of lycra fabric (black or coloured as appropriate, a couple of cms bigger than the hole so there's plenty of material which you can cut away after sewing), tack it to the back of the hole then machine stitch with a short zig-zag around the edges of the hole. This give a nice flat repair of stretchy material. If the hole is slit (i.e. no material missing), a zigzag stitch will sew the edges together nearly edge-to-edge so again nice and flat.

OP
OP
gbs

gbs

Guru
my pants always have 3 holes ?

No doubt you put yr foot into at least one!

Thanks every body. Sewing was never my forte so I am going to try the wundaweb appraoch and iron on. I guess that should work to support a scuffed area of another pair.

tyred

Legendary Member
I know how you feel, hankies made from flour bags, underwear knitted with string, but it gives a great sense of liberation if now and again we just dump and replace with new.:biggrin:
WHAT? Spend money :eek:

Mind you, I find a mattress stuffed with used tenners isn't very comfortable.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Torn cycling leggings are easy to repair because of the stretchiness of lycra. Just gather a decent bit of material and stitch along the tear quite finely and the stretchiness will ensure it all looks fine. I've repaired several rips in my Lusso longs and they're still going strong after well over twelve years of use.

Top Bottom