Holiday plans. Do you have any?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
People are still very wary about going abroad, both because of possibly needing tests before being allowed in to destination, and because of airport delays, so UK holidays are much more in demand than usual I think.

Prices for cottages etc do seem much lower than last year though (when there was no/minimal foreign travel), and there's more availability...at least once the schools go back

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
on countdown now for a week in Scratby in a maisonette aka mini house which is cheaper than a caravan for some reason , already looking at next years hols because if we dont start booking soon things will be snapped up,Cant believe how much prices have gone up ! We like static van holidays too and try to get a holiday close to the beach .

Static Van holiday's are expensive. Given it costs us about £4.5k per year for rent/utilities and insurance for our van, people charge a fortune to stay in one for a week. We don't rent ours out as it's a 'home' to us.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My son is driving over to Belgium on Monday for Spa 24 hours races next weekend, and daughter flying to Berlin next weekend for a week ! Daughter's holiday insurance for the week was just £6 ! We're not going anywhere - we fancy Italy for next year though.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
People are still very wary about going abroad, both because of possibly needing tests before being allowed in to destination, and because of airport delays, so UK holidays are much more in demand than usual I think.

we are not in a position to go abroad with mrs ck and mini ck1 health issues even if we could afford to go and my workplace has traditional shutdown in august .As we have kids we are forced to go at the most expensive time as you cant guarantee to get holiday dates even in other school holidays as the lean manning at work makes it a lottery for popular times .

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Yes I think you are correct. I need to go to Portugal for a couple / three days but really can't be ar--d with all the mither of airports at both ends / flight cancellations etc.

A lot of that is hyped up in the press. I recently had a week in the Med (or more specifically on some land in Med:okay:) and apart from being advised to get to airport 3 hrs ahead of 6 am flight, which proved a bit of overkill as bag drop and security took no longer than usual, there was no faff or mither either out or back home. This was out of Stansted, I think Manchester ad Edinburgh had a bit of chaos over the June Bank holiday, mainly lack of baggage / ground handling staff, but most flights now are running as much to schedule are pre pandemic.

Gwylan

Veteran
Wonderful bank memories with them.

Gwylan

Veteran
I'm stuck, probably literally, in a very wet field in Scotland.
This was the spontaneous part of the trip. My bike is outside under its cover.
The rain is horizontal and there's very poor data speed.

The perils of an unpla ned holiday!

Alex321

Veteran
I have a rule, I never stay anywhere that is worse than my home, otherwise what’s the point.

The point is that is something different from your normal day to day life.

I perfectly understand you (and I'm sure many others) always wanting something relatively luxurious, and that is perfectly reasonable, but isn't necessarily important for all.

We have taken two week holidays in a touring caravan before now (three times to France, once to the Netherlands), though more often a week or less, and we have just recently switched to a campervan. And we have enjoyed those holidays, even though the caravan is much worse than our home in most ways.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
The point is that is something different from your normal day to day life.

I perfectly understand you (and I'm sure many others) always wanting something relatively luxurious, and that is perfectly reasonable, but isn't necessarily important for all.

We have taken two week holidays in a touring caravan before now (three times to France, once to the Netherlands), though more often a week or less, and we have just recently switched to a campervan. And we have enjoyed those holidays, even though the caravan is much worse than our home in most ways.

Some of our best holiday memories were in a tent or very small caravan which had no running water.
As we got older then comfort/luxury became more important but those good memories remain.

Julia9054

Guru
Currently waking up in my hotel in Ghent at the start of my interrailing holiday.
Impressions so far - travelling by train is stress free and very civilised. Brand new, air conditioned and practically empty train from York to King's Cross and Eurostar was far more comfortable than a bargain bucket plane. As a northern country bumpkin, I wasn't quite prepared for the sheer scale of St Pancras International but they handled the volume of people very efficiently.
When I speak to friends about recent experiences at Manchester Airport and look at the news reports about traffic queues at Dover, there is no comparison.
We also appear to have arrived in Ghent in the middle of a giant, free music festival - last night was fun!

Top Bottom